Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

At the Flats I had a bunch of cars to test as I wanted to see what would be the best for that day. For the Group 10 race (Similar to USRA GTP) I made up 4 cars. They were as follows...

X25 w/X25 pans
    X25 w/C11 .030 pans
    C11 .030 w/.025 pans
    C11 .030 w/C11 030 pans

I also had 4 different types of motors, So my testing was first to choose the best motor. Then I chose the best feeling cars and put that motor in to see what was the faster car. On that particular day, it was the X25 with the C11 .030 pans. I'm running an OS Mercedes 066i GTP body on it (we don't allow the high downforce version). The car is simply planted. It is very hard to make a mistake with this car. I set my all time fastest Group 10 lap with this car at the flats in qualifying and was only a little off the track record.

On my LMP (Hawk 7 power) I'm currently running a full X25 but have also run the X25/.025 combination with great success. If the bite is up, I think the full X25 works better, but if the track is a little loose the X25/.025 gets the call. It has just a little more bite. And with the limited power of the Hawk 7, you really notice the weight difference.
    Gary Johnson

SCR, Rich and I had a few discussions about that endbell idea, and you know what Richard is like, he goes out and makes one. It is all his own brush gear on a modified Camen aluminium endbell.
    The legendary Geoff "Motor Man" Mitchell from the Isle Of Man first tried the idea way back when '80's or early '90's, he actualy cast the endbell's from some kind of resin/epoxy. Geoff was/is the best engineer I've ever seen. He now makes his own guns and loads his own ammo for target shooting in international competitions.

Woody
    Woodyatoaklands

Geoff Mitchell....what a guy! There are just a few who get ideas and then make it themselves. The rest of us try to get the best parts available and then come up with the best way to assemble them... at least that's the best I can do!

On Sunday my Richard Mack ES32 was spectacular. I ran it with the new Camen "Fat Boy" ultra short regular width set up. Got the 23t25 back from Joel after reconditioning, the overall length only .720". The set up fits beautifully in any ES32 chassis, the endbell hardware with a mile of clearance. There were only three of us on the track, Chris Chakires, Jason Hooper and myself. I started the race with my new Baby Piero, but not enough R&D with that one and it was pretty loose.

It was kind of puzzling because Chris ran his Baby "P" and it was absolutely stupid fast in the turns. He could really throw it around. I pulled my Baby "P" in the 6th heat and tried out Little Richard and found I could really throw it around on the turns.

Still have a couple of 2008 Horkys in the box, one with a Speedshop single mag small block with a Valiko 25t25. Both the Horky's have the raised guide tongues. In practice all the cars worked the same although Baby "P" was a bit twitchy. Hermanator stopped by last night to pick up my F1 to use in Brazil (if he needs it) and he's taking Baby "P" with him to have Real "P" take a look at it. I looked at Baby "P" last night and it all looked good in terms of set up...almost no clearance up front, guide angle looked really good, plenty of rear end clearance, a bit less than .032". Strange, I was expecting good things from it, but I'll get it sorted out.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I always read this thread.
    It`s far and away, the best in all of SlotWorld!

Here's the post mortem for my two C Can classes from last weekend. First, the Super Wasp arm. The only thing I can think of is the "dental floss" wrapping around the windings lost its glue, no longer hardened, and became string again, somehow got over to the comm and started fusing to one of the comm segments. Here's the arm, and the little booger thing is just above the arm...it does look like a squashed piece of string

DSCN4368 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And the X12 arm doesn't need much explanation when you see the photo.....it goes just a weeeeee bit out of balance like this......

DSCN4367 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Hey SCR! I guess it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, no sarcazm. Gus in Sacto

From the picture it looks like you have turned your super wasp down to 1.5. What pinion are you typically running for LMP ?
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by caprikinggus View Post
    Hey SCR! I guess it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, no sarcazm. Gus in Sacto
    Gus, you hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    From the picture it looks like you have turned your super wasp down to 1.5. What pinion are you typically running for LMP ?
    Yes Alan, that's turned down to 1.5 for 72 pitch gears....I can run 6T or 7T....Rocklin may be a 6T!!!

Without going back to read all 84 pages, you know Camen makes a 7t 72p pinion for 2mm shaft. Have you tried one and how did it work??

I am sure the only reason it is 1.5 is for the 6 tooth pinion.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Yes Alan, that's turned down to 1.5 for 72 pitch gears....I can run 6T or 7T....Rocklin may be a 6T!!!
    That sounds about right, although, while the Teal MTT at Rocklin tends to be lighter on bite it has a decent straight and fewer turns than the Testarossa.

Without going back to read all 84 pages, you know Camen makes a 7t 72p pinion for 2mm shaft. Have you tried one and how did it work??
    I have used the Slick 7, 2mm, 72p, 7t and it works great. Definitely need to handle with care as there is not much meat there and looks like it could be crushed easily !
    Alan Ingram

I often use a 7t 72p Pinion, they work great, but don't even think about using a gear puller on one! They will instantly split in two! 0)

I turned down a shaft on one of my 12 arms so I could try a 6t 72p pinion at Chicago. Worked pretty well but I felt the 7t was just a touch better so I didn't run that motor. On the Twister, I run a 7t for GT12 so don't typically turn down the arms.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    I often use a 7t 72p Pinion, they work great, but don't even think about using a gear puller on one! They will instantly split in two! 0)

I turned down a shaft on one of my 12 arms so I could try a 6t 72p pinion at Chicago. Worked pretty well but I felt the 7t was just a touch better so I didn't run that motor. On the Twister, I run a 7t for GT12 so don't typically turn down the arms.
    Gary, there's another reason to go with the 1.5mm shaft, and that is the 7 tooth pinion has a superior tooth profile. Any 7 tooth with a 2mm hole has a much more compromised tooth profile, more like a triangle. The 6 tooth 1.5mm hole gears are sort of similar with a more triangular shape profile. But a 7 tooth with 1.5mm hole has some convex curvature to the tooth which always helps mesh with the spur. Don't get me wrong, most of the 2mm 7T pinions made now mesh beautifully, I use the Camen pinions mostly.

I wouldn't even consider a 6 tooth on the Mid America Monster because of its length. Unless you had a totally unreal monster motor, you'll probably run out of gas on those long chutes. Of course, it would excel in the keyhole. Overall the 7T is the way to go on the Chicago track.

The Testarossa in Rohnert Park, on the other hand, sometimes an 8T is called for!!!! That's because it is a very high speed momentum track. Yes, it's flat and yes, it has curves, but the curves are elliptically routed so the track is incredibly fast. We've sometimes called it a flat King track. But for the most part, the better cars run 7 tooth at SCR. Testarossa is kind of similar to the Twister I think, very high speed. I consider the Twister a bit more technical with the area up on top after the sweeper. Testarossa really doesn't have any weird little kinks in it, it's pretty straight forward.

On October 1st, NORCAL is running on a mirror image version of the Buena Park roadcourse, except the short chute after the deadman is 8 feet shorter, so the overall length of the track is only about 90 feet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Gary, there's another reason to go with the 1.5mm shaft, and that is the 7 tooth pinion has a superior tooth profile. Any 7 tooth with a 2mm hole has a much more compromised tooth profile, more like a triangle. The 6 tooth 1.5mm hole gears are sort of similar with a more triangular shape profile. But a 7 tooth with 1.5mm hole has some convex curvature to the tooth which always helps mesh with the spur. Don't get me wrong, most of the 2mm 7T pinions made now mesh beautifully, I use the Camen pinions mostly.
    Haven't looked, but does Camen offer the 7x1.5 ?

The Testarossa in Rohnert Park, on the other hand, sometimes an 8T is called for!!!! That's because it is a very high speed momentum track. Yes, it's flat and yes, it has curves, but the curves are elliptically routed so the track is incredibly fast. We've sometimes called it a flat King track. But for the most part, the better cars run 7 tooth at SCR. Testarossa is kind of similar to the Twister I think, very high speed. I consider the Twister a bit more technical with the area up on top after the sweeper. Testarossa really doesn't have any weird little kinks in it, it's pretty straight forward.
    I thought the Twister was pretty fast once you get the Keyhole down, so if the Testarossa is faster then I really need to get more time on it !
    On October 1st, NORCAL is running on a mirror image version of the Buena Park roadcourse, except the short chute after the deadman is 8 feet shorter, so the overall length of the track is only about 90 feet!!!
    For some reason I though it was longer.
    Here are some pics of the Teal MTT at Rocklin taken at last years NorCal event. The infield is fully painted now with some nice FIA rumble strip detailing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1621..jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	9530  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1620..jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	9531  

Last edited by Ingram; 09-16-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Alan Ingram