Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Here's the Buena Park "MTT"....you'll see it is just a mirror of Rocklin, and note that the finger after the deadman/kink/tunnel of horror is the longer finger....whatever the length of that added straight section, multiply by four as it adds to the back stretch and also adds to the short chute after the "90", and of course will add to the main chute, so really maybe 20-24 additional feet longer than Rocklin. It qualifies as a good short chute where you can get up some good speed going into the finger turn, and then you get up a good head of steam ducking under the bridge and into the donut.....the Rocklin track is an abbreviated version.

bpmtt by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I have to agree with you, it is probably at least 20 ft longer.

Hey look, that's Rocklin's own Retro man Jim Fowler looking at the monitor !
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Hey look, that's Rocklin's own Retro man Jim Fowler looking at the monitor !
    I thought you'd appreciate that! It's from a retro race last year. I think the track is roughly 110' long. GT12s do 3.4s on the fast lane, ballistic ones do 3.2s.

Wait! Is that the sound of a high speed Dremel. In the background?
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

Quote Originally Posted by fxgeorge View Post
    I thought you'd appreciate that! It's from a retro race last year. I think the track is roughly 110' long. GT12s do 3.4s on the fast lane, ballistic ones do 3.2s.
    I don't think you can expect those times at Rocklin. Last year Fred did 3.570 but most of the fast people were in the 3.6-3.7 range. The doughnut has been re-leveled which should help for red and white but purple was already full punch through there.

Hard to believe we are only 2 weeks away ! Short turn around !
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by backintheslot View Post
    Wait! Is that the sound of a high speed Dremel. In the background?
    OK big guy, it's right before dinner and I don't know what sounds better, the upcoming plate of spaghetti with meat sauce and cheap Parmesan cheese, or merely the thought of a cut off wheel buzzing through brass and piano wire....that's a hard call....

Quote Originally Posted by fxgeorge View Post
    OK big guy, it's right before dinner and I don't know what sounds better, the upcoming plate of spaghetti with meat sauce and cheap Parmesan cheese, or merely the thought of a cut off wheel buzzing through brass and piano wire....that's a hard call....
    FX, get the heck off this thread you trouble maker. You are not allowed here, this is a thread about the building and racing of slot cars and obviously you're just a pasta eating rabble rouser. Sorry people, I try to keep him under control, my Precious, but he is so difficult.

gollum12_lrg by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    I don't think you can expect those times at Rocklin. Last year Fred did 3.570 but most of the fast people were in the 3.6-3.7 range. The doughnut has been re-leveled which should help for red and white but purple was already full punch through there.
    I do think a 3.569 is possible on that track though!
    Asking all things relevant-

It's been a busy morning. Had to replace the bearing and endbell bushing on the GT12 motor from Saturday....the endbell bushing hole was huge!!! Maybe it sort of went back into balance by the shaft floating in a large hole....just a theory. Dan wants to take a look at the arm, it may be my after market balancer is drilling too deep, but he will see if that is the case. I went ahead and replaced the bearing and bushing in the Super Wasp set up. Got freshened armatures back into those two set ups this morning and broke them in. Next I need to grind the shafts to 1.5mm for experimentation tomorrow at Rocklin.

Also got the Mack F1 pretty far along...soldered the steel to brass pans together, they fit really nicely. Got the .047" rails on the center section and now it pivots on the center wire. It's actually getting pretty close to final assembly. It would be fun to test it, but I am loaning my only Piero Spec F1 motor to Hermanator to take to Brazil....so, it'll wait until next month.

As for lap times at Rocklin, that's kind of puzzling that we've run 3.3s on the Buena Park track with GT12 and the track is a lot longer. Can't wait to try things tomorrow on the little Rocklin road course.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    It's been a busy morning. Had to replace the bearing and endbell bushing on the GT12 motor from Saturday....the endbell bushing hole was huge!!! Maybe it sort of went back into balance by the shaft floating in a large hole....just a theory. Dan wants to take a look at the arm, it may be my after market balancer is drilling too deep, but he will see if that is the case. I went ahead and replaced the bearing and bushing in the Super Wasp set up. Got freshened armatures back into those two set ups this morning and broke them in.
    There in lies one of the secrets to your continued success...... efficiency ! 2 motors broke down, bearings replaced, arms installed and broke in all before lunch

Next I need to grind the shafts to 1.5mm for experimentation tomorrow at Rocklin.
    It may seem like a silly request, but could you run down your process for this ?

As for lap times at Rocklin, that's kind of puzzling that we've run 3.3s on the Buena Park track with GT12 and the track is a lot longer. Can't wait to try things tomorrow on the little Rocklin road course.
    Looking forward to hearing your test results here !
    Alan Ingram

Alan, to grind a motor shaft down to 1.5mm is not too difficult. Monty Ohren told me how to do it and I found out Lee Gilbert does it the same way. Run the C Can motor on the analyzer and be sure your Dremel cut off wheel is true, then start taking down the motor shaft in pretty heavy passes at first. I use my eyeballs a lot in this process. Also, use your digital calipers and when you get down to around .060", start to take much more fine cuts. Also, start using the side of the cut off wheel so you are grinding the entire reduction area. Keep a new 1.5mm pinion around to use for final sizing. I have a fresh never soldered Horky 7T 80 pitch pinion for this purpose. Keep taking off tiny amounts until the pinion slides on. You can also use a diamond file for the final cuts, makes a nice finish. Even if you cut the shaft a bit small, that doesn't worry me because I true my pinions when they are soldered on the shaft anyway. Also, be sure you breathe when doing this otherwise you'll end up holding your breath for several minutes. I done enough of these I have it down to about a 10 minute process.

Alternatively, there are a number of people who you can send the arm to and they have fancy equipment and jigs to do this same thing.

Thanks SR, that is about what I was thinking. Sounds pretty straight forward.

BTW, just finished a Falcon Purestock LMP race on the Rocklin MTT. The track was cleaned Tuesday and usually it takes a little time to come in as it needs some rubber down. This was not the case tonight as it was in VERY good condition. Red and white are still the toughest lanes but they were both very drive-able. Who Knows...we might see 3.3 - 3.4 at NorCal in GT 12.

Looking forward to your test results SR....
    Alan Ingram

OK Alan, sounds like the track could be good this afternoon. Stopping by the Hermanator Factory to check out the new Best O The West tire machine and pull the motor out of Baby Piero. Herman is taking Baby P to Real P in Brazil so Real P can check it over make sure it is OK. It probably didn't run well due to something dumb I did, but we'll just make sure. After all, Real P will be in the Western Hermisphere and more local....

Got the Mack F1 finished yesterday, now I need a motor!!!!

DSCN4370 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4373 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4372 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4371 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Once I had a few good quality photos courtesy of Pat Skene, this project got a lot easier. It's a fairly easy build and will hopefully come with good instructions in the future. I have to get a motor to put in it, not sure if the ultrashort Camen will fit, but it might take a little modification of the motor box.

SR
    Great looking build as always
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Let's start the week with my visit to the Hermanator factory. I was greeted in the company parking lot by none other than The Hermantor himself

herm by svtgeorge, on Flickr

During the tour, we saw the tire making machines, this one formerly the Fast Ones tire maker. Try taking one of these bad boys to the Nats!!

hersh by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And then we went to another area of the factory where we looked at the new Best O The West tire machine

monty by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Finally, we went out to the employee rest area in the back of the factory which includes a swimming pool! Being Sunday, no employees were taking advantage of the water.

villa by svtgeorge, on Flickr

All in all, it was a wonderful visit. Later, I left for Rocklin, CA for testing.