Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    I would suggest spending the $20-$30 and get a new one for the kitchen and move that one to your shop.

Chemicals like epoxy will leave a arsenic fill in a oven. You should never reuse a oven once used for epoxy or something like powerdcoating.

I really think koford and skinners should put a Waring on there tubes because i have found to many people using there kitchen ovens for this.

Just ask Monty about the Chinese man and the chicken story.
    Allright Mike, if you insist. I hate going to COSTCO, the lines are so long and it takes away from slotcar building time. Monty, you need to tell us about the Chinese man and the chicken. Maybe it has to do with a powdercoated chicken.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Can you imagine Paul (Mom) behind a sewing machine?

The mind boggles

And now back to normal service...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Can you imagine Paul (Mom) behind a sewing machine?
    I spent much more time off to the side of the sewing machine. I was the jerk with the time study board setting piece rates... then graduated to manager, factory owner, and consultant.

But yes - it did help to actually be able to sit down and sew sometimes, and I also had to learn to repair industrial sewing machines. When you own your own factory, you usually wind up doing a bit of everything including sweeping the floor, making coffee, clip threads, or load & unload trucks.

We all do all sorts of different things for a living so we can afford to play with these toy cars. I am often amazed at the diversity of backgrounds of people who are involved in this hobby.

And now back to you, Slotcar Racer...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Honestly,

I don't KNOW a Chinaman & chicken story, but perhaps Mike has it confused with the circle track driver & the chipmunk. I told him that one for sure, along with the Eskimo women & the head gasket. If he were to repeat it, maybe I would remember seeing as my oxygen deprived brain has been a little forgetful over the last six weeks.

These tales are a bit fantastic, but might be grounded in truth. In both cases, the there are lessons to be learned that apply directly to the sort of gripes we hear over and over at races. These gripes have managed to burden us with far too many rules and regulations over the years, but are inevitable in a competitive arena.

I won't expand on them here, to avoid politicizing SR's blog.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Tony @ TNT,

There is a reason I DON'T use a sewing machine motor for tire grinders - the speed is way too high unless you rein it in with a speed control. If the tire is expanding from high RPM, it won't cut true. I shoot for a mere 2,000 RPM. The motor on Herman's machine is difficult to stall, runs about 2k RPM, and is powered by 12vdc - which is why you see it wired to a small computer power supply.

The low wattage allows for simple and safe wiring and longer lasting microswitch.

The heavy duty machined ballbearing slide has NO detectable sideplay, and adds 25 # of mass to stabilize the machine and dampen vibrations. It also spaces the tire drive at very similar height to the grindstone centerline, an ideal situation. The variable stop, being a 1/2 -20 bolt, yeilds .100 " of tire dia. per full turn, rather convenient. The hardwood butcherblock base is stable and square.

My thoughts were to do it all right the first time.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

I just wait for the Sewing Machine Motor to unload and you can hear it and then the tire is cut true and round. I can run tires cut on my machine on an Open Wing Car and they work perfect. If you don't wait for the finish then you would have a less than good result. Maybe the Motors I use do not turn as many RPM's as the one you tried.
    As always there is more than one way to get a good product.

Got another Bulldog 3 built, this one is the fully weighted version with the pan weights and filling in the front brackets...I thought the front weights looked kind of cool. This one with a .032" spine and the .047" rails are soldered solid front to rear. Makes it pretty much like my usual 2009 Bulldog configuration except stiffer with the spine and motor box brace.

DSCN4375 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

I knew I needed a second dog 3 just to get matched front weights
    Nice build
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

George,

It might be interesting to try a car with no front/rear weights and an .039" spine and .032" rails. My thinking is that since you are loosening up the car by going with the smaller rails, you don't need to loosen up the car by adding the weights. Might be good on fast tracks like Frank's track! Just a thought!

Monty, Interesting thought on the motor. I would bet that it would be pretty easy to find a 1750 rpm 110v motor to put a collet on (think Rock Tumbler). Also, for the slide, you can always find small lathe ways and carriages on EBay for relatively little money. It would be very easy to make a motor mount on a carriage and have an adjustable stop. If I decide to start making my own tires, I just might have to build one of these! In fact, I have an old Craftsman 109 lathe that would be perfect for this application. Hmmm...
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

It might be interesting to try a car with no front/rear weights and an .039" spine and .032" rails. My thinking is that since you are loosening up the car by going with the smaller rails, you don't need to loosen up the car by adding the weights. Might be good on fast tracks like Frank's track! Just a thought!
    Hi Gary, I like the fact you are thinking of alternative ideas. Jason Hooper won the GT12 race in NORCAL a few weeks ago using that combination. I have tried all the combinations with my test mule Bulldog 3 and finally settled on the opposite of Jason's set up (as pictured). Every other set up had some chatter in the "90" on Frank's track. The 2009 Bulldog is silky smooth all the way. So, I've been a bit puzzled by this new Bulldog on Frank's track, truth be told. I have tried .039" rails and .032" spine and it was really flimsy around the track, ran almost like not having the rear of the motor soldered in kind of feel (oh yeah, I checked, the rear of the motor WAS soldered in!!!)

Well, since I currently have 4 GT12 chassis, I don't see a BD3 in my future for a while My original BD is almost always faster than the BD2, and both seem faster than the Tazer. Now I also have a PMP, and I need to do some serious tuning work with it to see how it will compare with the dawgs. I ran the PMP last weekend and it was really hooked up. So much so, that it was a little unforgiving. So I think I'll try some thinner rails on it and see how that works. My next GT12 race is at the Wade 500, so it will be interesting to see how good the White is after their move, and what chassis is going to work over there. I know a lot of those guys are using the PMP. And if my initial race is anything to go buy, it is a good chassis. It is just a bear to build though.
    Gary Johnson

I thought this video would be appropriate with all the talk about Bulldogs....

http://www.bellarush.com/hot/

That is too funny!

Clever dogs!

Your buddy FX must have showed you that video sometime between eating pasta and drinking Peet's coffee!
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Does anyone (Mom) know why the older pictures in this thread wont open? Is it a Flicker problem or have they been deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by hitecca View Post
    Does anyone (Mom) know why the older pictures in this thread wont open? Is it a Flicker problem or have they been deleted?
    Yeah, sorry hitecca, but flickr said I would have to start paying them to get more capacity, so I did a clean out one evening before I realized it would have an impact on the photos on the thread! Oops. Maybe I'll open some other hosting service and increase my capacity for free photos. Anything in particular you wanted to see, I can try to put it back on. If I have time, I'll go through and see what's missing.