Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Finally got some work done last night, there's a 50/50 chance of driving up to Rocklin tomorrow to test. I did final build ups for two flexi cars. First, the X25 two piece got my good Contender motor, checked rear bushing condition (looked really good), changed leadwire, new braid, and almost finished mounting a new Audi R10....that'll be finished tonight.

Next car is an X25 center, C11 .030" pans. I revised the shimming of the cross bar which would be a new test item tomorrow. Took a lot of rocking motion out of the rear pans, made it a little more like the Cheetah 11 set up. I felt the car tilted so much last Sunday that the sides of the body were bottoming out real hard and the car would chatter slightly. Mounted my good Super Wasp, the one I ran in Phillie and went through a complete safety check.

Tonight I'll build up the 2009 Bulldog, I got my US12 arm (Worlds production arm) back from recon, and will mount a new Starfarter on it. That car was really good on the teal track in Rocklin, I'll just run it around to make sure.

I'd like to put in a lot of time on the Bulldog 3 at Rocklin and work on various size piano wires, even try removing the front crossbar...haven't tried that one yet. Uh oh, time for "work", gotta go....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Sounds like you are just about ready.

There are 2 more races on that track before the 1st, Saturday night FCR's and F1 retro on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how that changes the conditions. Neither are very fast but both should put down some soft rubber on the track. Going to try and make it there tomorrow also but I think a mid week test might be in order to see if anything has changed.

2 strong programs running at Rocklin the next 2 weekends; NorCal Retro this Sunday and NorCal SCRA next Saturday the 1st. If you haven't been to either of these groups races, I highly recommend coming out to check them out. Both programs are very well supported and have some of the best racers anywhere. Jim Fowler of Retro even brings extra cars that he usually lends out to newcomers. Rocklin has plenty of room for both racers and spectators.
    Alan Ingram

Alan and I already exchanged text msgs and neither of us are heading over to the Rocklin track today.....Rocklin will have to wait until next Saturday for the NORCAL race. Race cars are ready anyway. Today is mostly building new stuff. Finished an X25 roller this morning and glued in some magnets on a Pro Slot 16D set up. Also painted an Acura and an R10, now back to the paint room to do a Starfarter and an O/S Audi R8C. Then I'm afraid it is time to glue up a bunch of donuts, just got the shipment from Lienbenthal. Nice rubber. It's soft like most fish rubber, but a bit harder than Alpha Piranha. OK, better get to work!

Made a last minute decision last night to race Falcon Purestocks on the Purple Angel, track of the Oct 1st NorCal SCRA Nascar and Nastruck race. Turned out to be a good warm as there were several newer racers which meant you had to navigate traffic. Tracks are not as stuck as last week but still ready for some great racing Today (NorCal Retro) and next week (NorCal SCRA). Looks like there are several locals planning to join the action. Should be a great turn out.
    Alan Ingram

Looks like track conditions at Rocklin on Saturday will mean "don't leave the suntan lotion at home"!!! Spent the whole weekend working on building cars. The Cahoza "production" set ups are again proving to be really nice pieces of work. I built up three on Sunday, replaced the can bushing with bearing, then pulled the .535", the .550" and the .560" hones through. It goes pretty quickly and easily. A fast squirt with the high pressure hose attachment and they're clean as a whistle.

At SCR picked up motor bearings and used Frank's .580" hone for the 16D set up. Put in a brandy spankin' new P/S .560" 45* arm and broke it in. This one is for a Group 10 car heading east to NJ hopefully tomorrow.

For Saturday at Rocklin, I am hoping to make some mods to a Bulldog 3 prototype and try some new ideas with it. I think there are a number of directions to go with this new chassis and it is a matter of doing the footwork to find out how it reacts to different set ups. OK, better get to "work" now...

Wow, "work" was actually WORK this morning. Come to think of it, work last night was almost too much work, finished up three cars, a Group 10, a B Production and an Open 12. Have 28 pairs of tires to process this week. Also in exchanging email with Jasn Hper I think it is time for me to squirt paint on an HD Caddy and try it in GT12 on Saturday. One other thought for the Bulldog 3 is to try unhitching the front sway bar so the front of the pans move independently. Jasn and I are brainstorming the new Bulldog 3 thinking of all the different ways to make it work. The combinations are mind boggling. OK, time to head over to Peet's and grab a cuppa.....

Hey SCR! Be ready for muggy conditions inside the raceway if things are anything like Sunday. After all racing was over, Jim Fowler commented that "I think I lost 5lbs today in sweat." It could get worse because we'll three times the racer count Sat. Me thinks your lap times of 3.86 with the LMP will be very good, the last race times were posted with a best of 4.12 by Don Snider and Chris Chakiris. Gus in Sacto

Quote Originally Posted by caprikinggus View Post
    Hey SCR! Be ready for muggy conditions inside the raceway if things are anything like Sunday. After all racing was over, Jim Fowler commented that "I think I lost 5lbs today in sweat." It could get worse because we'll three times the racer count Sat. Me thinks your lap times of 3.86 with the LMP will be very good, the last race times were posted with a best of 4.12 by Don Snider and Chris Chakiris. Gus in Sacto
    Thanks for the weather report Gus. When I was up there a few weeks ago, Vegas was also there testing and practicing. There were humongous birthday parties non stop on the Purple Angel. It didn't seem like the A/C was on. If I could lose 5lbs like Jim did, then that might be a good thing. All I can say is, bring the Gatorade and hope for the best. From a business standpoint, I didn't really think it was a good idea for a store to be as hot as it was with little kids and Moms and Dads having a party. Seems to me it makes more sense for your customers to be cool and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Thanks for the weather report Gus. When I was up there a few weeks ago, Vegas was also there testing and practicing. There were humongous birthday parties non stop on the Purple Angel. It didn't seem like the A/C was on. If I could lose 5lbs like Jim did, then that might be a good thing. All I can say is, bring the Gatorade and hope for the best. From a business standpoint, I didn't really think it was a good idea for a store to be as hot as it was with little kids and Moms and Dads having a party. Seems to me it makes more sense for your customers to be cool and comfortable.
    The air doesn't work consistently in that complex. I believe Dwight has been struggling with the building management. When they work they are OK but as soon as they cycle off......eech ! The forecast is for cooler weather though, so we might get lucky.
    Alan Ingram

Hey Alan! It couldn't have been cooler outside, including a short rain spell. The guys weren't authorized to run the AC or fans until Dwight got there, by that time it was muggy as hell inside. Gus in Sacto

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    The air doesn't work consistently in that complex. I believe Dwight has been struggling with the building management. When they work they are OK but as soon as they cycle off......eech ! The forecast is for cooler weather though, so we might get lucky.
    Gus, what classes are you running on Saturday? Any insights as to your chassis/motor combinations? What tires have you found are working best on that Teal track? I tried some 6 tooth pinions on my LMP and GT12 and although that produced the same lap times as the 7 tooth pinion, I couldn't see myself driving that in a race. Did it only once before, doesn't look like Rocklin is the right place for such a low gear ratio.

I found the Teal track is a lot faster than I expected. On some earlier posts, I thought the track was a simple reconfiguration of the "MTT" at Buena Park, but actually it has a much longer chute after the "90" than does the BP track...however, the "finger" after the Tunnel of Love (past the kink) is much shorter than BP's track. The track has the same layout and rhythm, just a variation.

Gus, how is your preparation for the racing on Saturday going? Is your soldering iron hot?

Hey George! I'm running simply a small P/S contender ina X25, Red Fox Acura with small hub JK tires. Gearing is 7/42 Camen. My friend A/V and myself were able to rip off lots of 3.9-4.0s Sunday while dripping wet. Gus in Sacto

Hey George! Gus in Sacto
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 09-29-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Family Show.."abbreviated post"

Got the Richard Mack Bulldog 3 prototype tuned up last night and installed the motor I used at the USRA Scale Nats in April. This motor is a Cahoza UL set up, T5 magnets honed to .560". The arm is an old favorite, Pro Slot "US12" from the Worlds A YEAR AGO (wow time flies) recently reconditioned. The Protodog has .047" rails with minimal steer meaning the rails butt up against the rear stops on the chassis giving just barely detectable steer. Jasn ran his that way last month and it seemed to work fairly well....Put in a new set of bearings so we don't have any bearing failures this month and used 40T as jig wheels. Mounted a pair of .645" tires.

The biggest change I am going to make for this car is the body. Instead of the Starfarter, I squirted an HD Caddy, mounted it pretty far forward and put the spoiler height at 1.55" with the intention of a lower CG. It's possible the Starfarter with it's NORCAL mandated cut line putting it at 1-5/8" spoiler height could be raising the CG too much and creating some chatter. This is the newest theory, I'll post something on this after Saturday's race. Remember, the Bulldog 3 was developed with low downforce LMP bodies.

Otherwise all tires are mounted and trued, as usual way too many!!! Better get going here............

SR Sir- What brand/type of bearings do you use in for 3/32 axles and also 2x5 can bearings. Inquiring minds want to know!