Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Mike, any trips to Chicago lately? Hey, great turnout for the last BP scale race, it's good to see. That little 1/32 scale Cheetah is a kick, isn't it?

Axle bearings for eurosport, I use the expensive Koford bearings. Everything else I order from Proformance.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Is Proformance the same place where you got the "Hogger"?
    Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

No trips to Chi Town until end of October. The 1/32s we ran were brass scratch built anglewinders with Falcons in them. The guys running these are mostly retro racers, not ISRA style guys. The Cheetah class doesn't seem to get a transfer from the weekly Thursday night guys to the monthly race, so we'll likely be dropping the 1/32 flexi Falcons in the future. The weekly Thursday night races have seen as many as three full fields on some weeks. Promising. Still like my Mack 1/32 production car with a Falcon in it best! SMOOOTH runnings!

The September monthly turnout was the best we've seen in for some time. Nice to run Euros once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Is Proformance the same place where you got the "Hogger"?
    Jasn
    Bert, Proformance is the same place where I got the "Hogger". http://www.proformanceracing.biz/

Last night I felt like building a new Mack eurosport....just got inspired....about halfway through the build. Planning to put one of the new Koford motors in it and then I'm not sure what's going to happen next.

One thing I know for absolutely sure is tomorrow I'll be driving up I-80 and around Sacramento to Rocklin, CA for the second NORCAL race. Bringing two LMPs and two GT12s. LMPs are my X25 two piece and an X25 center with .030" C11 pans. I think one is a Contender, the other a Super Wasp. For the GT12s, one is a 2009 Bulldog 1 and the other my Bulldog 3 prototype which will have two body choices. First, an HD Caddy mounted at 1.55" high, then a Starfarter Long mounted even lower! In fact, the Red Fox body is so low, it barely clears the motor.

In reading the NORCAL rules (often reading rules is useful) I discovered GT12 does not have the cut line rule, but there is a 1-5/8" maximum rear spoiler height. You can go as low as you wish. Anyway, I'll be getting up to Rocklin hopefully around 12:30, I have something to do in Oakland in the morning. Sure hope traffic on I-80 isn't as bad as two weeks ago!

Stopped by Rocklin yesterday. Dwight is working hard prepping for Saturday. There is plenty of pit space and power and the AC was running the whole time I was there ! Some of the Rocklin locals plan to run at least in Nascar so the fields should be full.

SR I hope your path is clear, but if not shoot me a call or text and I will stake out a nice pit space for you.
    Alan Ingram

Hey George, do your NORCAL rules allow the low down force O/S BentLee or Mercedes? I bet they would work awesome for you Less down force than the StarFighter, but enough to make those cars really handle well. In our testing in 2004 for the Nats in Portland, we found that the GT12's of that time often worked better with the LD bodies than the HD bodies.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Hey George, do your NORCAL rules allow the low down force O/S BentLee or Mercedes? I bet they would work awesome for you Less down force than the StarFighter, but enough to make those cars really handle well. In our testing in 2004 for the Nats in Portland, we found that the GT12's of that time often worked better with the LD bodies than the HD bodies.
    Gary, both Fred and I have tried the Bent Lee 068 and it really lacked grip compared to bodies like the HD Caddy. The Mercedes is pretty good, I know John Lewis won the advanced race at Frank's with it. It's kind of like the Bent Lee 069. I can see a lower downforce body being great on the Twister. Actually, I found the Starfarter to be excellent on my 2009 Bulldog. I'll post some observations from the flat track at Rocklin either tomorrow, or Sunday. Right now, it's kind of hard to get O/S bodies, I've tried Jim and Scott and Frank is sold out.

Do you need OS 069s George? Or the 066 Mercedes?
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    Do you need OS 069s George? Or the 066 Mercedes?
    Dub, sounds like you might have em, but I'm not sure at this point if I need them, my race is tomorrow! Leaving "work" in 4.356 minutes and when I get home, I am mounting another Fartfighter with so little clearance above the motor you won't even be able to slip a track card in there....that would be my Fast Track track card....The theory we're working on is high downforce, but lower CG.

Slotcar Racer- using this same mounting technique I was able to vastly improve my euro sport times (prior to the new one body rule). I think the lower "center of gravity" without changing the angle the body mounts has a great chance for lap time reduction. One important thing I found on this was that the Bent Lee body is not a great choice for this mounting style as the rear wheels end up VERY close the the body & tend to gobble up bodies when the two get to close to each other (watch out for the full figured finger car puter-onners). Another thing to watch out for is the body touching the motor- the body then will raise the pans in the upward direction- thus decreasing the performance properties of the chassis- IMHO
    Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

Well Bert, whatever you're doing, it's working! Good grief, 3.5s with your GT12!!! That's brutal.

Anyway, I'm reporting in at 4:00 and I've just learned there are 35 entries in LMP, AKA B Production. It's going to be a long night. I might get out of here after LMP because there's 27 entries for GT12. Wife works today and the beagles are Home Alone...not good. I'll be happy to just run one race...kind of looks like a crashfest anyway! OK, better put the car in tech.

OK, up to 36 entries, for sure a record number. That's what they said!

So far started on purple and then sat out until heat#15 coming in on black. Run up through white and then sitting with 200 laps even. Marshaled four heats and now working on the #3 dinner from the Chinese place here in the shopping center. I'd call the broccoli beef "serviceable" and the chow mein only gets an "edible material" rating. I may be in for the last 3 heats. They made a call for GT12 tech, but it didn't get a warm response.

Berteinstein, not sure how it happened, but you ran a really good race. Somehow after 36 three minute heats in a race where Bert and I were never on the track simultaneously...we both had 319 laps and I was going up the donut only two turns from the lap counter...the computer decided to award the win to the more senior of the two of us. Good race. Congrats to John Lewis for his second LMP expert win of the season.

Well, we are in heat 11 of 27 in GT12...yeah I know, I'm still here and racing. You can't pack and leave after a win even if the beagles may be eating the 17 year old cat for dinner. So far I've started in heat #2 on black and had a pretty clean run up to white. I believe I come back on red in a few heats...probably wait till tomorrow to post the result.

Wonder how the Worlds Production race is going...be nice to have a reporter there who types on a computer.