Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Good racing SR !
    You managed to avoid quite a few serious collisions all race long in GT12.
    319 LMP & 341 GT12 are a lot of laps to put down against 60+ competitors.
    Hope the cat was quick enough to avioid the hungry beagles !
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Hey George, do your NORCAL rules allow the low down force O/S BentLee or Mercedes? I bet they would work awesome for you Less down force than the StarFighter, but enough to make those cars really handle well. In our testing in 2004 for the Nats in Portland, we found that the GT12's of that time often worked better with the LD bodies than the HD bodies.
    Hey Gary,
    Even my feeble testing showed the IMCA Bentlee to be slower. I was running a Mike Williams loaner GT 12 BSP10 and the HD Bentlee was noticeably faster to me.

Between my Dub Motors 16D nascar, Super wasp LMP and Mike Williams GT 12 I feel a little guilty for letting all that HP get wasted on my feeble driving. 3rd race on my 16D and it was still a bullet, time for a freshen up. Super Wasp was very quick also but should have cut the shaft down and run a 6 tooth as this motor wanted to really wind up. Mike's 12 was faster than I could drive it, managed a 3.8 but in better hands it had more. Couldn't figure why it was slower in the last 2 heats until post race inspection showed a loose rear axle (too much side play)
    Alan Ingram

SR check you my ISRA Worlds update I got from Greg Norris.
    Why do I do this to myself?

Got home at 11:42pm last night and the hispanic family next door was having a massive fiesta, birthday for the wife. Latest one ever, usually they shut down at 10pm. I think it was her 40th, a mere child. The drive home from Rocklin was pretty much set the cruise at 75, hold on for the ride. Two CHP cars went by without even noticing me at 10mph over the speed limit, I think they were watching out for even crazier people than Slotcar Racer. Have you ever noticed how it is to drive a real car after you've been doing slotcar racing all day?

As Ingram noted earlier, both LMP and GT12 went my way yesterday...once in a while I get lucky. Once again, Berteinstein kept me honest, but I think four laps down in the second race...and again, the two of us were never on the track together. CRASH CODGER had a stupidfast car, much faster than my piece, but he had many visits to the floor and his body got torn up terribly. Nevertheless, he still got 3rd place which was a testament to his speed. Chris Chakires had fast time of the race, a 3.50, and ended in 4th place. For sure I thought Chris had the car and talent to win the race, but as I watched it looked like he had too many incidents with other cars and that used up too much time over the whole race. With 27 entries all mixed up, the carnage was prolific.

It looks likely we will make a few changes halfway through the NORCAL season to prepare for The Nats in April at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif., site of the 2006, 2008 and now the 2012 Scale Nats. In GT12, it seems likely, but not yet set in stone, that the GT12 race will be divided into two driver divisions and use the USRA legal LMP bodies as posted by the current USRA Tech Director in another thread. LMP will then get the high downforce GTP bodies such as the much favored Fartfighter, HD Caddy, O/S Mercedes and Bent Lee 069. This will be in preparation for the highly anticipated running of the USRA Scale Nationals GTP race on the Testarossa flat track.

Well, I better go out to the car and unload and get to work on the Mack eurosport. The 17 year old cat and his 15 year old daughter were both uneaten last night. Wife got home before me and fed everyone.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Here's the LMP. X25 center, .030" C11 pans. Cahoza UL T5 set up, Pro Slot .540" SW arm. Nothing special except the Audi R10 body is ready for the next race at Modesto, a few dents that will buff out

DSCN4380 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

The GT12 is a Mack Bulldog 3 prototype, .047" rails not soldered at the rear, but rails butted up against rear of slot, full weights except the fronts not filled in. Cahoza UL T5 set up, Pro Slot "US12" arm from the Worlds Production a year ago...what a great arm!

DSCN4381 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Thanks for the pics.
    For us less informed, it looks like a couple of pieces of bullet proof at the outside center of the X25 pans, what does it do ?
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    SR check you my ISRA Worlds update I got from Greg Norris.
    I heard the "Dream Team" came in 2nd. Just read the rest of the results for Production. Glad to get some coverage. Looks like 36 teams entered. I think we had 48 last year if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 10-03-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Got the results

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Thanks for the pics.
    For us less informed, it looks like a couple of pieces of bullet proof at the outside center of the X25 pans, what does it do ?
    Alan, with the X25 you really need to put in bullet proofing or some way of raising the cross bar, otherwise the pans will end up way below the center section and drag the track too much. Looking at a Cheetah 11 center section there are bumps stamped into the design to raise the cross bar. I like the fact JK got rid of those bumps thus allowing us to do different things with the shims. I'll leave that thought to your imagination.

I think Ingram was referring to the body armor that is stuck to the outerpans and folded at a 90 degrees angle. looks to me that is probably used to keep the body from getting hung up on the pans when marshalled. Never used that trick myself but have seen it in a good number of photos.
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Alan, with the X25 you really need to put in bullet proofing or some way of raising the cross bar, otherwise the pans will end up way below the center section and drag the track too much. Looking at a Cheetah 11 center section there are bumps stamped into the design to raise the cross bar. I like the fact JK got rid of those bumps thus allowing us to do different things with the shims. I'll leave that thought to your imagination.
    I get that and especially when you reduce the dia of the bite bar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    I think Ingram was referring to the body armor that is stuck to the outerpans and folded at a 90 degrees angle. looks to me that is probably used to keep the body from getting hung up on the pans when marshalled. Never used that trick myself but have seen it in a good number of photos.
    Yep, that's what I was talking about and what I suspected. Did Jerry give the right answer ? The Cheetah chassis are very prone to that type of "body tuck" never thought to use bullet proof that way. It looks like it just bends up and you leave the backing on the upright portion ?
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    Bingo! You got it Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    I get that and especially when you reduce the dia of the bite bar

Yep, that's what I was talking about and what I suspected. Did Jerry give the right answer ? The Cheetah chassis are very prone to that type of "body tuck" never thought to use bullet proof that way. It looks like it just bends up and you leave the backing on the upright portion ?
    Yeah Alan, I just remove enough backing to stick it on the pan, bend up at 90* and trim it a bit. Vise Grip turn marshall hands are less likely to crush the sides inward when grappling with the car.

The Mack eurosport is nearing completion. Got at least one body mounted on it for now.

DSCN4386 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4385 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4384 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Now just waiting for the motor, should be here tomorrow.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 10-03-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Photo malfunction

D can setups ?

Which is the best and lightest D can setup ?
    What are the pro's and con's of the different types ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Which is the best and lightest D can setup ?
    What are the pro's and con's of the different types ?
    Hi Ron. In this thread, I by no means purport to be any kind of slotcar guru. However, I do work on my stuff every day and write about it. That's pretty much this thread in a nutshell. That said, I do not have a bunch of experience with 16D motors. Much depends on your rules. Saying anything is "the best" should only be based on what you have tested yourself. What is "the best" today at one raceway may be garbage on another day at another raceway. I know you're probably hating my answers so far, so I will continue....lately I have had personal experience with a borrowed (thanks CRASH CODGER) Kelly D2 set up with a .540" Pro Slot arm at the ISRA Nationals in Philadelphia. The motor ran really well in a scale car with a GTP body. I almost ran a Pro Slot FX set up with a .580" airgap and a BOW .560 arm with 45* timing, my only 16D motor at present. I think Frank at SCR is building mostly the Pro Slot set ups and his stuff is ridiculously fast. From a supply standpoint, I think it is much easier to obtain Pro Slot motor set ups and armatures than other products. I might be wrong about that, but again I am speaking from my experience as of late.