Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Is there some sort of code in the messages going on here with the T3 & T6's, I am sure you are not talking about fridge magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill A View Post
    Is there some sort of code in the messages going on here with the T3 & T6's, I am sure you are not talking about fridge magnets.
    No Gill, I think Bert and I are just a bit confused. Should be T2s and T5s. Hmmm....fridge magnets......

I've got the suitcase packed and the slotcar tool box full. No controller, no tires, no cars, no raceway on this trip, just slotcar building in our rented cottage on Vashon Island. I can finally get around to building the Mack 1/32 Saloon chassis and the Mack 1/32 Falcon F1. I'll need to email Dave and have him send me one of those little 1/32 Dodge Daytonas (I think that's what it is) the Brits run on their saloon class.

Uh oh, I hear music, that means wife is in the living room doing aerobics. Geez, it's almost 10:30am, I wonder when in the world we are hitting the road for Roseburg, Oregon?!?!? Oh well, it's vacation, no worries. Took the beagles to the vet early and had their claws clipped. They see the suitcases and that arouses suspicions. Better go now...
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I have a question about GT12 Motors.
    Are they different than Box Stock 12 Wing Car motors?
    I have some of those but will they be too much punch for flat track GT12?

Mike
    the only real difference is most gt-12 motors are running more air gap then a wing motor.so your wing 12 motors probably won't work real well for flat track racing. to much bottom end in a wing motor and the other difference is a lot of flat track guys run .540 dia arms but not all. depends on your personal likes and driving style 1 other thing is timing I run between 45 degree and 47 degree
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    I have a question about GT12 Motors.
    Are they different than Box Stock 12 Wing Car motors?
    I have some of those but will they be too much punch for flat track GT12?
    Hi Cuc, this is a great question. Rather than burden you with a bunch of dogma, I'm going to give you 1) my own experience and 2) the usual thing about you need to go to the raceway and test test test to find out what works best for you. That, IMO, is what makes this hobby/sport so much fun...the experimentation and discovery.

In the IMCA days of the mid 90s, my C Can stuff used a .525" airgap with Mura magnets and RJR armatures ground to .510". Today, I have gone in the opposite direction, especially with the advent of the .540" armatures. I use a .560" hone and still need to check to see what my final airgap is, probably a bit bigger than .560" (will check that when I get home in a week or so) so with the .540" arm it is easily .011" or so on each side. This along with the larger diameter arm means a softer motor than what I liked in the 90s. I think Roy Hood described this new combination best when he said "it's like a freight train". Having tried a .518" motor with .535" airgap in practice up in Rocklin, the car seemed fast, but it was a lot more work as it seemed to be accelerating, decelerating more around the track. Going back to the bigger set up, the car seems to float and glide around the track. I kind of prefer it that way.
    A Box G12 motor will be much more like the .518" motor I described above.....that might be great in an air car on a King where you have the trigger mashed most of the lap, but on a flat track where you are flapping your trigger a lot more, it doesn't work as well as the big arms for me.

Mike since Slot Car Racer is getting ready for vacation I'll try to answer this one for you. Most Box 12 motors are .513 or .518 dia with air gaps ranging from .528 (some less) to .538 (some more). If your running GT12 on a King track this is OK. However if your running on a flat track it is too much punch, too much low end, too much brake and not enough control. Most of us run .540 or .560 (or something in between) with air gaps of .560 to .580 respectively (or something in between) depending also on what division you race in. The USRA and ISRA have different arm diameter maximum/minimum rules. The larger arm diameters and bigger air gaps allow less bottom end punch and less brake all adding up to better driveablity. You can punch out a setup to .540 and try running a .518 arm in it but I think you'll find that it is still hard to control. I have known some racers to try SMQ magnets in a setup with .540 air gap and a .518 arm with good results. I haven't tried it yet. I have tried a Koford Super Wasp .518 45 degree arm in a Box 12 setup punched out to .540 with old Camen magnets but it still had way too much brake. Also a Proslot .518 38 degree arm in the same setup. It was a little better but still not the degree of control as the bigger arms. Hope this helps.

Fred Younkin
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Fred, fantastic comments, thanks so much for that contribution. How's Barbara doing? I need to try that .540" airgap idea of your's, I think CRASH CODGER has a .540" hone I can use.

Back at the Eagle Heights Cottage on Vashon Island, WA I've gotten pretty far on three Bulldog 3s. All parts are broken off and cleaned with solvent (so they can start rusting!!!) Ready to start soldering together the rear end assembly and the front hinge on the pans. But first, time to eat lunch, then head over to Seattle to visit nephew with his fiance. Vacation is so good.

photo by svtgeorge, on Flickr

SR
    I built 2 .518 dia koford arms with .540 air gap cahozza UL can and T-5's my buddy loves them. he say's they run much like the .540. Have 2 bulldog 3 underway really like this chassis.
    Have a good vacation not to much slot work .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Fred,

Most of the guys at PSCR are still running the 518 diameter stuff. There are only a couple of us running the 540's. And I believe most of them are running fairly tight airgaps as well. Personally, I am running 540 diameter arms in all my C-Can stuff on the flat track. And I'm running a 518 in my Box 12 simply because that is what came in it when I won it at Slugfest this year. As fast as that motor is, I have no doubt it would work for GT12, but I just haven't pulled it to try it. After the Wade 500 next week, I might just give it a try and see how well it works!

So, apart from what Fred and George stated about the 540 diameter arms, I think the biggest difference is the car is set up with a much lower gear ratio when using the 540 diameter arm. I'm wondering if we did that with the smaller arms if the cars would handle similar. I'm starting to believe it might be the wider air gaps and lower gear ratios that make the combination work. Of course, I haven't had time to test this theory out, so maybe some one else can do so?

I do know that my cars are very easy to drive and very fast through the tight sections of the track.

All that to say, go try it! What have you got to lose?
    Gary Johnson

Gary
    I tried a box 12 motor in my gt-12 that I built for my grandsons box 12 it was way to hot and a handful to drive way to much punch on lower end of power band that's not to say some guys mite like them .since I started racing again 4 years ago I have just raced scale and big dia arms so I'm use to the smooth power band you get with the .540 arms. I run some .555 dia motors in my jrl cars and like them a whole lot very good combo for jrl. this hobby is a very much to each his own type thing what works for 1 guy mite not work for another you have to build it and try it .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

After getting the Bulldog 3 project launched yesterday morning, we picked up daughter and headed over to Seattle via ferry. There we hung out with nephew and his fiance and ended up at this Happy Dragon Chinese restaurant.

photo(1) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Living in the San Francisco Bay Area I can tell you we have no shortage of Chinese restaurants, and there are probably hundreds of really good ones. This Happy Dragon had the best Chinese food I've ever eaten. The chicken curry with noodles was incredible. In the photo left to right is daughter's boyfriend Kevin who does something very similar to winding armatures, he winds guitar pick ups for Lollar Guitar, then is daughter Heather and nephew Kyle, on other side of the table is Kyle's fiance Bree, then wife Julie and your's truly SR.

Then we got up this morning and I continued with the Bulldogs. Got the center sections pretty much done. All have .047" rails with minimum to no steer, .032" spine, and I even remembered to put in the little "D" piece during assembly...incredible.

photo(2) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Barbara is fine George. Enjoy your vacation. I can't believe your wife allows you to work on slot cars while on vacation. Barbara would have noe of that, unless it was a slot car racing vacation. I have taken a few of those. Take care George and sorry I butted in on your thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Fred, fantastic comments, thanks so much for that contribution. How's Barbara doing? I need to try that .540" airgap idea of your's, I think CRASH CODGER has a .540" hone I can use.

Back at the Eagle Heights Cottage on Vashon Island, WA I've gotten pretty far on three Bulldog 3s. All parts are broken off and cleaned with solvent (so they can start rusting!!!) Ready to start soldering together the rear end assembly and the front hinge on the pans. But first, time to eat lunch, then head over to Seattle to visit nephew with his fiance. Vacation is so good.

photo by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

SR,

Why the thick rails? Mack 1/24 ESs come with 0.032s and many guys switch them out to 0.039s. Have you tested the car with the smaller diameter rails?

Greg

Are you still in Seattle??? Too bad you couldn't have made it PSCR on Sat to catch a race while there. I read that Alan Ingram was there, and I know that Craig & Dennis even made an appearance as well.

I hope you have time during your visit to the area to drop by and say hi to Jim R while in town.

Kinda hard to believe you actually took your tools & toys with you on a family vacation! I think a lot of racers would get some serious flack from the spouse if attempting that. I'm assuming yours is either quite used to it, and/or extremely tolerant of your hobbies.

PK
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A few thoughts on bringing the slot stuff. Wife has some pretty bad back issues and works a job where she has to stand, so she spends a lot of time doing these sets of exercises and then aerobics. It's about a two hour routine. So she and I made an agreement that I could build some chassis during the times she is doing the routine. It's worked out really nicely. This morning we left one of the comforters on the floor and the big beagle spent the whole time snoring away while I finished up the center sections. As far as getting to PSCR, I'm in regular contact with Jim and let him know of my itinerary. We travelled up from Roseburg on Saturday, then this coming Saturday we leave and spend that night in Roseburg again. Time for those awesome Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls again...oh baby!!! Come to Papa....

So, I brought one of the orange boxes, just the tool box. The car carrier with troller is at home where it belongs during a family vacation. Some people bring their crochet stuff, others tie fishing flies, I bring metal working tools.