Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    SR,

Why the thick rails? Mack 1/24 ESs come with 0.032s and many guys switch them out to 0.039s. Have you tested the car with the smaller diameter rails?

Greg
    Hi Greg,
    FX told me you wrote an awesome write up on The Worlds, many thanks for doing that. He said you crafted a really good narrative of the event.

In answer to your question about rail size, I have been over that in earlier posts, but it never hurts to go over it again. Back in 2009 at the Scale Nats in Montgomery, we ran our first Bulldog chassis in Cobalt 12 using .032" solid rails. It worked very well. I had only received that chassis literally a week before the race, just plugged in a Beuf C12 motor and off we went. For GT12 I planned to run a Stinger, but the Bulldog was so good I tried putting a C Can G12 in it. With the .032" rails, it handled terribly, seemed like the much bigger lump was too much weight and threw the balance off or something. It felt out of control. I ran the Stinger and I think I came in 4th.

Returned to SCR and put in some .039" rails next and tested it. It was A LOT better than the .032" rails, but I still preferred my Stinger. Then I went up to the .047" and it was so good, I did not run a Stinger any more. Until my first experiences in July of this year with the Bulldog 3, I have used the .047" rails soldered solid at both ends on the Bulldog 1. I have experimented a lot with the Bulldog 3 with different rail sizes, again going back to the .039" rails. It gave me the same flimsy sensation as I had experienced two years before. So, now for the Bulldog 3 I use .047" but with the minimum to no steer rear tubes. The rails are consistently 3.318" long....I cut them that length for all the builds I do and the result has been really good.

Berteinstein I believe runs .032" rails with no weights! Bert, if you're out there, can you verify this and share your recipes with us?
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Thanks, SR! Makes sense. I just put some 0.039 rails in my 1/24 ES Mack. I'll try them out when I next get to Chicago.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    Thanks, SR! Makes sense. I just put some 0.039 rails in my 1/24 ES Mack. I'll try them out when I next get to Chicago.

Greg
    Greg, I have always used the .039" rails on my Mack euro chassis and found it to be my favorite. I know the .032" can also work for some racers, in fact I have tried it myself. It was pretty good but I always returned to the slightly bigger wire size. Let us know how you get it running at Mid America.

Thank you SR-
    I am not sure if I have put into words, the setup I have on the Bulldog 3, but SR is correct on the setup for the chassis as I have no weights installed on the chassis and I have built it with the .032 rails and a "significant" amount of rear steer-
    I think Gary Johnson had mentioned trying this setup as well a few pages back. I have tried this particular chassis setup at the last two NORCAL/SCRA races with very good results. The two tracks were quite a bit different in layout- one of them a flat track super speedway and the other the classic point and squirt MTT layout. (Rohnert Park and Rocklin)
    The car feels stable to me and you do not have to dance it around the track (like a Sick 7 GTX chassis) too much.
    Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Thank you SR-
    I am not sure if I have put into words, the setup I have on the Bulldog 3, but SR is correct on the setup for the chassis as I have no weights installed on the chassis and I have built it with the .032 rails and a "significant" amount of rear steer-
    I think Gary Johnson had mentioned trying this setup as well a few pages back. I have tried this particular chassis setup at the last two NORCAL/SCRA races with very good results. The two tracks were quite a bit different in layout- one of them a flat track super speedway and the other the classic point and squirt MTT layout. (Rohnert Park and Rocklin)
    The car feels stable to me and you do not have to dance it around the track (like a Sick 7 GTX chassis) too much.
    Jasn
    OK Bert, thanks for the confirmation of your Dog Set up, I think when I get home I will give that a try on the Bulldog 3 prototype so I have one of those set ups in my box. Race #1 at SCR I used a 2009 Bulldog, it worked best. Race #2 at Rocklin was the Protodog with .047" mini steer. Who knows, maybe an Einstein set up will be great for the Corkscrew? Only one way to find out, get together with CRASH CODGER for testing in a week and see what's good.

Also got the Mack F1 reconfigured yesterday. Moved the far rear pin locator forward enough so I could elongate the motor box....now the Piero Spec Camen set up fits nicely in the motor box.

photo(3) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

OK, now turn on the soldering iron and continue work on the Mack 1/32 Saloon chassis.

Yesterday we made it into downtown Seattle to visit a jewelry supply outlet on Union St called "Seattle Findings"...check out their website, you can get all kinds of goodies like silicone polishing wheels, earring clips, etc...anything to maintain steel chassis!!!

In the morning finished up the Mack 1/32 Saloon chassis

photo(4) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Not sure what to do with it now that it is built other than finish it with a G12 motor and a body. As with all the Mack kits, this one went together as any good puzzle should. This morning it's time to get to the last project of this vacation, the Mack Falcon F1 chassis. It doesn't have many parts and looks pretty simple. Richard says this car is really fun. Photos to follow. Briefly heard back from Piero. Said their flight was delayed several hours by a tropical storm and missed connection in Spain. He said he was really pleased with the results at the worlds with his designs. He should be!!!

Today's the last day on Vashon Island near Seattle. Heard from Ingram yesterday, he was taking daughter and grandkids to the zoo not far from here over on the Tacoma mainland, Pt. Defiance Zoo. Wife and I travelled all over Maury Island which is barely connected to Vashon. Took the beagles on a very long beach walk and wife came back with a fanny pack full of rocks and stuff she picked up. It's really been a great week. Tomorrow we drive down to Roseburg, Oregon again to stay at the Holiday Inn Express, home of the most incredible cinnamon rolls for a free continental breakfast.

Got a lot of chassis building finished this week. This morning I am just cleaning up a couple of Mack ES32 chassis that belong to Hermanator. They're in pretty good shape, I just had to pull the pins on one of them that hold the pans on, that way I can really give the separate parts a good scrubbing and cleaning.

Yesterday morning finished the Mack Falcon F1 chassis, this one is 1/32 scale. I'll paint a body for it when I get home. Richard says these things are almost as fast as a F1 Eurosport!!! Not surprised.

photo(6) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

I didn't bring a set of Horky front wheels for it, but I do have a pair at home. I need those before setting up the 1/16" front axle to get the right height. That'll be very easy to set up.

Yep,
    Trip to Pt Defiance Zoo in Tacoma yesterday with both daughters, granddaughter and grandson. That place has got to be one of the best kept secrets around ! I have lived in and around the Puget Sound area for many years and no one ever talks about it. Simply incredible ! Awesome views, beautiful grounds and a nice collection of sharks, elephants, tigers, and more. If you haven't been there already, add it to your list of places to visit when you are in the area.

Stopped at Pacific Slots afterward. Dan and Roy were tinkering with drag cars. Roy loaned me a '63 Vette to run and it was a kick. Ran 1.09 to 1.15's with a best reaction of .0005 ! Put my Falcon Turbo Flex LMP on at the end and it did 1.13's pretty consistent. I could have fun with these too !
    Alan Ingram

Back from the trip to the Seattle area, Vashon Island specifically. Returned home yesterday and now back at "work". Pulled apart motor last night from the last NORCAL race and measured airgaps for Berteinstein. The Super Wasp set up I ran at Rocklin measured .559" and the G12 motor .560". Didn't get around to measuring the hone, but I believe it is .560", so it seems to be making a hole the same size as the hone. This week is preparation for a test session at TNT Raceway, meeting 3rd Eye Howard and CRASH CODGER there....unless wife has time off, then I spend the day with her. OK, better continue my catching up from being off a week, not too bad actually.

Thank you for the measurements! 35-24-36
    Asking all things relevant-

Ran my Bulldog 3 over the weekend for the first time at BPR. Mine is a "bag" chassis built by Richard. Tried it with all variations of weights and went back to the bare chassis with no weights. Ran well in the race until a motor failure. Tim Hould spanked us with his (Casey's) BD3 with all of the weights installed. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Ran my Bulldog 3 over the weekend for the first time at BPR. Mine is a "bag" chassis built by Richard. Tried it with all variations of weights and went back to the bare chassis with no weights. Ran well in the race until a motor failure. Tim Hould spanked us with his (Casey's) BD3 with all of the weights installed. Go figure!
    Hey Mike! If you would like me to build you one like Tim's i'd be happy to. Just let me kno
    Casey Scott

Team Camen - PK Armatures

www.theisrausa.com

I may just take you up on that....... Are you going to the Masters?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    I may just take you up on that....... Are you going to the Masters?????
    Okie Dokie!.. I may go, it all depends on school. im about to finish up my bachelors in Janurary and then going right into my masters which starts Janurary 30 so i may not be able to go.. just depends. I have been talking to Mike Mazur about the race and it looks very promising. I will try to make it.. Now we just got to get Tim to commit. You can help me with that!

Take Care and let me know about that chassis.
    Casey Scott

Team Camen - PK Armatures

www.theisrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Thank you for the measurements! 35-24-36
    Bert, I measured the hone last night, it is .560" exactly. 10-4