Good thought! I'll bet that it is a 6.

Thanks!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    SR,

Good thought! I'll bet that it is a 6.

Thanks!

Greg
    It's about the only thing I can think of Greg. Just for fun, last night I built up the new Camen ultrashort set up with the Koford 45t29 that just rolled in from the mail, then got the set up sitting nicely in the motorbox of my Horky. After grinding the shaft down to 1.5mm, I put in the Vitula crown and cut the motor shaft so it clears the hub of the gear. So, it was now time to choose a pinion, and I just happened to have a 1.5mm ARP 6 tooth pinion sitting on the shelf almost with a spot light on it saying, "hey, give me a try!!!" So, I put the 6 tooth on there. Really nice mesh, so I will try it tomorrow at Frank's, might run it in the eurosport club race, or the other choice is the Mack F1 with the older Camen motor of the same design. Report will follow. We'll see if it strips the gear!!!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Got a ton of work done yesterday in preparation for the eurosport practice race at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif, site of the 2006, 2008 and soon to be 2012 USRA Scale Nats. Started out by mounting the new Red Fox Ferrari to the Horky F1. Should be interesting to see how that body performs compared to the CAT RB8 which was the controversial body at the 2010 Worlds.

Next I put a six mag Gulliver with a .470" Valiko 23t25 in my Castracone ES32, a slightly lighter motor and lower CG. The other ES32 I'll bring is the Mack ES32 with an ultrashort Camen motor in it, pretty much untouched since I ran it at the last club meeting.

Also prepared my Castricone ES24 car with the Voki 10 mag and Valiko 84.5, that went together in a short time. Somewhere when I was concentrating on all this activity FX came sneaking into my room (the usual "my precious....") and I heard my box open and close, I better check it this morning to see if anything is missing. Anyway, after that intrusion to my work, I continued by building up one of the new Bulldog 3s, this one the usual .047" rails with minimum steer and all the weights in it. To my delight, I found a Starfarter body all mounted and ready! Must have done that one when I wasn't looking. Put a motor in with a brand new Pro Slot X12 arm that needs to be put through a big heat cycle today, then sent to The Old Man for reconditioning.

This morning I'll finish up by putting the .480T Mystery Motor in my Horky ES24, it's been a while since I ran that car. Time to see how it works today. Then, pack up and head up to the Black Bear Diner. Yee haw, corned beef hash, here I come!

I'll be interested to here how the 1/32 F1 goes. I'm thinking that our main problem was alignment, but the pinion may have contributed.

Have a good time racing!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    I'll be interested to here how the 1/32 F1 goes. I'm thinking that our main problem was alignment, but the pinion may have contributed.

Have a good time racing!

Greg
    Greg, unfortunately we had a low turnout and decided not to race, just to practice and test stuff. I can tell you that this new Mack F1 is fabulous! I liked the way it ran better than my Horky which by comparison was sort of nervous and twitchy. I tested on green lane and turned a bunch of 4.9s with the Mack, unable to break 5.0 with the Horky. I need to weigh the two cars, I suspect the Mack is heavier, a lead sled, but I loved the feel of it. Richard let me try his F1 at the Worlds last year and it taught me a lot about how these cars should feel. The car I tested yesterday really reminded me of the car he let me try a year ago....who knows, maybe it was the same chassis!!! Not sure the test was really fair, the Horky had the new motor....same set up as in the Mack, but a Koford arm of the same wind. However, I think they may have timed it a bit too high at 10 degrees. Seemed peakier. I think it will be a good motor, but not the same as the one with the Camen armature. Oops, I just realized something....the Horky had the 6 tooth pinion, the Mack has the 7 tooth....not an even test after all....I just remembered that. Not sure I like the way the 6 tooth drives.

The most fun I had yesterday at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif, was when I took a HD Caddy off a GT12 car and pinned it on to my Castricone 1/24 Eurosport and ran a 3.23 on the green lane!!! Man, it was STUCK! This makes me think back on the days of the Cobalt 12 class with fond memories. I should have run it on yellow to get a lap time, but I'll try that the next time I go back.

Coverage of the 2011 Worlds in Brazil was a bit, uh, sketchy. I finally got some photos from Piero and here they are. First, the track at Red Fox

La%20pista%20dal%20rostrum_4 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

La%20pista%20dal%20rostrum_3 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

La%20pista%20dal%20rostrum_2 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

La%20pista%20dal%20rostrum_1 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Here is the man whose feat was to sweep the Worlds, never done before and perhaps never to be done again...Paolo Triglio

IMAG0329 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Here are his friends from home...

DSCF0431 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    His Production class crew

DSCF0383 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Paolo's pit area...

il%20mio%20box by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    and of course, all the LOOT

DSCF0462 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Here's the production car. On this X25, I am noticing the two bullet proofing strips pretty close together under the cross bar...otherwise, it looks pretty much like a stock chassis!!

DSCF0340 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Next here is the ES32 car, of course a Castricone chassis....looks like someone else built it, or rebuilt it from the soldering job

DSCF0343 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    The F1 car...

DSCF0346 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    An ultrashort F1 motor..

DSCF0347 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    And the mighty 1/24 Eurosport, another Castricone creation..

DSCF0458 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCF0453 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing . I imagine Piero must be pretty stoked that two of his chasiss was drivin to a winn in two classes.

On the home front another Euro weekend is coming up at PSCR withthe NW winter series.

Pulled out some equipment from the "Later Raymond" storage box and some new items from the PSCR can't wait shopping bag. Started doing some motor renovations and mods.

Out of old box came "Mini-Me" (later named "Lucky Mini-Me") a Camen 10 mag short narrowed can setup. It was predominently used in the former 1/32 and it has a brother "Single ME" which I used in 1/24th back when. Some warm a fuzzy memories and history for this motor. Has got me one win on the MTT and a 1/32 FTW win for Paul K when he drove the car with it as a stand in driver. I didn't have a replacement arm as the com had seen it last leg and it required a shorter length than most.

This was the first Euro mini 10 mag from Camen that locals saw in the NW at a time when single magnets Koford cans setups were dominent in the region. I had some say it wouldn't work before it was even on the track. After the first race the trend shifted to Camen multies if or where needed. I had two nay sayers believing it would "suck all the power" on other cars on the track (I spread the unfact rumor of course naughty me...). Anyways its getting all new bearings a PK or Koford Euro arm, magnets with a safty coat of epoxy starter and a hone refacing. That will be going into my current Piero 1/32 euro. Try to get one more race before retiring it....

I have my older Piero 2010 1/24 car with a Camen/SH Valico 22-24/1/2 (motor name "Lee-nilla Ice") is ready to go with fresh body that should be my race car. Excellent proformer on the Twister. If I have the force with me Saturday it will do well this time, after all I haven't broke a 1/24th magnet if four races and that means I am "due" but for the most part I just want to have fun....

I am finishing off a new "motorless" (Lee setup) 2011 Piero Euro car with body identical to the one pictured above. It amazing how fast it been with no motor, it hasn't seen the track yet but it been in so many lookie-loo hands going around the track like a bucket fire brigade. I got the chassis just prior to the Worlds and thought it was going to be raced at the Flats but no motor so when I got it back it sat waiting for an ideal MR wound up right. I am building a preliminary experimental concept motor for this car (more later) but for right now I am putting an over the counter (RB modified) Camen short block with a Valico 23-25 for practice or maybe race. Meanwhile the concept motor is named "SQuintico". It involves a new idea using a standard smaller block setup. It just came out of the toaster oven , an goes off to Joel for final zapper blessing. It won't arrive back in time for the next race. Joels going to laugh when seeing the setup as it involves an alternate universe idea I discussed but since he has no coms could not do a armature. Its an elaboration, or aboration of an Idea from time before time was long ago....

Ok this morning out came the "Gilligan" Gulliver 24 1/2 from it current resting place the 1/32 Piero and slight mod to the two rear chassis pins, a couple bullit proof limiters and prep it for soldering in Lucky Mini-Me. The Gilliganulliver is going into the Mack 1/24th Euro after clean up and the current 20mag "Tweedle-one" or its twin "Tweedle two" in the Mack is going in to the old Speedshop for extra loaner car. Minus the euro arm which is one of Joel wonder wind beauties which I will save for futher date.

Later..I am confused where was I....

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 10-25-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Allright Raymond! This is what I'm talking about. Raymond, you've pulled out the stops for the race this weekend, bravo! You have the set ups all in a row, the armatures, the chassis...YEAH. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that if you race eurosport, you'll have a number of chassis, a number of set ups, a number of armatures and a number of ideas. Put together different combinations, go to the track and see how it goes. If your 2011 Piero ES24 turns 3.0s on the Twister, you know you have a very competitive piece to race with. It's durable too, you know that already. I'm looking forward to your race report from this weekend. Your Gilliganulliver sounds really interesting. Just to back up what you are doing, on Sunday I put one of the first Gullivers into my Piero ES32 and it was fabulous. It's a six mag with the original .595" o.d. can, .580" airgap and a Valiko 23t25 ground down to .470". It's been a good motor for ES24, but I had never tried it in a 1/32 car....it was worth the test! Sounds like we are on the same line of thinking Raymond.

Wow!

I think Raymond and SR just may be drinking from the same Kool-Aid jar! (whatever it is... "I'll have what he's having")

Ahhh yes - I do have very fond memories of winning 1/32 Euro class at the Flats on not just one - but on TWO occasions over the years. And BOTH were with borrowed rides. The previous year (2005) I wound up borrowing the ride that Lee had prepared for Greg Gilbert, who had unfortunately cancelled his appearance at the last minute.

On the occasion mentioned above (2006), Raymond had the misfortune of busting a magnet in his 1/24 Euro in practice late Saturday night (or was it early Sunday morning?). I believe I recall uttering a sympathetic "Oh no..." and then asking Raymond "was that a multi-magnet motor?" To which Raymond replied "It is NOW!"

So he headed home to thrash together another motor for his 1/24 race. Before his exit he had already teched in his 1/32 Euro. On his way out, he told me "Paul - if I don't make it back in time - YOU can race my 1/32 Euro". Just prior to the 1/32 qualifying, Raymond walks in the door. As I told him he was just in time - he was still too distraught and frazzled, and told me to go ahead and race his 1/32, since he still needed to mount the new motor in his 1/24 ride.

The car (and motor) were indeed just the ticket, as I somehow managed to cruise to the win - and managed to beat some top flight competition, including guys named Herman & George, along with previous & future winners Matt, Kevin, Ray (The Brit)... if memory serves. (and it rarely does, so I checked)

Since I was merely the recipient of the generosity, efforts, & misfortune of others, I have virtually nothing to contribute as to the technical details of the borrowed rides... I was simply the trigger monkey. I can only offer my nostalgic fading memories...

And so now for Raymond - "Motor Naming takes a 3 Hour Tour"

I remember "back in the day" when the illustrious Mr S.O. Watt (aka Tom Hansen) engraved all his set-ups with male names starting with a "B", and all his chassis with female names stating with an "L". Sometimes it seemed like we spent more time (and more beer) dreaming up new names then he did building the chassis & motors.

But Raymond may have at least opened up the door to his future fleet favicons...

After his "little buddy" "Gilligan" motor makes it's debut on Sat, potential prescribed power plants could include the likes of these puppies:

A big fat motor could be dubbed "The Skipper". Next could be a real ingenious and innovative design that could proudly portray the persona of "The Professor". From there, a really sweet motor with the monicker of "Mary Anne", and a just plain sexy one garnished as "Ginger".

And if those aren't enough - then it's time to whip out the wallet. Spare no expense to unveil "The Howells" - where money is no object. These two could affectionately be individually emblazoned "Thurston" & Lovey".

Perhaps I've been a castaway on this tropical island, and away from slot cars a tad too long... or perhaps I am just in need of a Margarita or Mai Tai... but I'll settle for a Tanduay, San Miguel, or even some Lambanog. If desperate... one of these days I just may try the "Tuba".

As I drift off, singing: "A three hour tour - a three hour tour..."

Um.... I guess I drifted too far... so now back to slot cars....
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 10-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sho' nuff, here's the results of that 2006 Flat Track Worlds ES32 race. Great memories Paul and Raymond! I sure miss that track.

1/32 Eurosport
    1/32 Eurosport - 10 entries

1 - Paul Kassens - 366
    2 - Ray Bishop - 361
    3 - George Russell - 358
    4 - Kevin Kosir - 355
    5 - Herman James - 354
    6 - Matt Zenovitch - 340
    7 - Jason Stone - 328
    8 - Peter Verdo - 325
    9 - Steve Nichols - 314
    10 - Mike Stahl - 304

TQ - Herman James - 4.3612 (New Track Record)
    Concours - Paul Kassens (painted by Raymond "Slapshot" Batchelor)

Protodog 3 (Bulldog 3 prototype) is sitting on my soldering block waiting for surgery tonight. I pulled out the motor, yanked the rear axle, disengaged the guide and leadwires. I'm converting it to a Hooperdog tonight for testing on Saturday in Modesto. Simple change, pull the .047" mini steer rails off, replace with .032" maxi steer rails....unsolder the weights. If it isn't to my liking on Saturday, I will bring the stuff I'm pulling off tonight and put it back on when I'm out there on Saturday. CRASH CODGER will be there with 3RD EYE HOWARD and we can all try the Hooperdog. Arf arf

Hey SCR! ARF! ARF!. Gus in Sacto