Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I pulled the .047" rails off Protodog last night and cut a pair of .032" rails at 3.312" long, soldered .050" pin tubing on one end, then ground a little off to make them something like .047", then cut a couple of .450" long .050" stainless pin tubes for the rear end. Oh my goodness, those .032" rails look SO FLIMSY!!!! It has a few more thou of steer in it too...the .047" rails are 3.315" long, the maximum. Anyway, I am bringing the 047 rails to Roy's with me, I am very skeptical of how the .032" rails will work with the big C Can lump in back. Also unsoldered all the weights...the front brackets and the pans weights. We'll see on Saturday, if it works for Berteinstein there must be something to this set up.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Slotcar Racer
    Did you ever think your thread was going to top 100 pages!!
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Quote Originally Posted by MentalKase View Post
    Slotcar Racer
    Did you ever think your thread was going to top 100 pages!!
    Let's reprint the opening statement:

"In my new identity, I am purely a slot car racer. I only post about what I am doing with my slot car racing program. My purpose is to discuss slot car racing as a builder and as a racer. This is about tire wrenches, comm truer, soldering iron, acid flux, axle spacers, guides, cans, magnets, motor spacers....you name it, if it has to do with slot cars, I am on it. I am Slotcar Racer."

So, I think we are finding that OWH readers are interested in building and racing slotcars...that's great news! OK, time to get out the flourescent orange spray and squirt a Red Fox Starfarter.....

The Fartfighter paint job went a lot faster than I expected last night. Got home from "work", finished up the masking, got the driver painted, then started spraying. Had dinner to let the body dry, got up to lap 137 of the Charlotte race (yeah, I'm really behind on my viewing, still have Talledega and now Formula One practice is recorded...) then returned to slot room and got the body mounted on my Hooperdog 3. I'm going to try out that Dog without the front wire that ties the pans together. CRASH CODGER has a lot of stuff to test tomorrow, and there's a possibility Hermanator may want to ride out to Modesto tomorrow morning. Pack up the stuff tonight and stash it in the car first thing tomorrow, then take the beagles for a walk early in the day.

It was a really good test session today at TNT Raceway in Modesto, CA for our team of CRASH CODGER, Hermanator and myself. We've been putting our heads together over the past 3 years and we're really seeing results of our collaboration. CRASH CODGER likes the Starfarter body mounted low, he said he is two tenths faster and the car is bolted. If the body is only 1/16" higher, it is tippy and doesn't work very well. Amazing how small changes make huge results in slotcars. Hermanator worked primarily on his new Slotcar Racer built GT12. We all ran some 3.2s on the track with GT12s on different lanes. During our pizza break, we decided that there may not be a fast lane on the Korkscrew....but we were later told it was yellow....makes sense I guess. Hermanator and I also put in 15 minutes running eurosports on the track and this was a lot of fun. Ran 3.0s with those cars. His car had a 25t25 in it, a perfect wind for the track whereas mine was a 22t24.5 and I needed to almost turn my choke all the way up to get the car to hook up, especially coming off the last turn going on to the main chute. Not enough choke just blew up the tires. Anyway, that was really fun.

I tested the Hooperdog and then my fully weighted Dog 3 and they both ran comparable lap times, but the Hooperdog needed almost 100% attention to drive!! It was a very hard car to drive...fast, yes, handful, yes. The weighted Dog 3 (figure 8 grams heavier) with .047" rails ran as fast and with a softer motor, but it was super easy to drive. I think I will test the Hooperdog3 on the Nats track at SCR before I convert it back to the weighted version with .047" rails. OK, time to start making tires for the NORCAL race next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    The weighted Dog 3 (figure 8 grams heavier) with .047" rails ran as fast and with a softer motor, but it was super easy to drive.
    Just wondering if you tried the "softer" motor in the in the Hoopdog 3 configuration?

I also like your results with the body comparison- I believe that those small changes can often times add up to make a quicker/slower car.

Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Just wondering if you tried the "softer" motor in the in the Hoopdog 3 configuration?........
    Jasn
    I was wondering the same thing, seems like the "softer" motor would be well suited for the Hoopenstein.
    Alan Ingram

Sitting in the Camry at Oakland Airport cell phone lot. Alan and Bert, that is pretty much the plan...switch motors. The heavy car could use more HP, the Hooperstein needed less.

Also took a trip to SCR this afternoon. This morning I found an unpainted JK Products Mercedes CLR, one of the 7 bodies legal for GT12 at the Nats. Sprayed it and mounted it, spoiler at 1-5/8"...then tried it on the two versions of the Dog3. It was quite dreadful on Hooperdog, better on the heavier car...but pretty much a disappointment after taking a Starfarter off the cars!!!! (duh). The Hooperdog was really fast on the Testarossa with the high downforce body back on it. (duh)

That's one GT12 body tested, only six to go.

New Voki set up worked great with the 84.5. The set up is 18 mag and .480"T. Ran 3.2, same as what PG turned with Frank's eurosport. OK, wife has called, gotta go.

Last night decided to rebuild my BOW Contender, so I pulled the arm out of the set up....then, unfortunately the comm became too small. Measured at .185" and the dreaded copper lifting off the phenolic. That was a good arm, R.I.P. in the junk box. Only got around to pulling the two G12 motors out of Hooperdog3 and the Bulldog3....tonight will switch motors and reinstall. Should be interesting to see how Hooperdog3 does with a softer motor on Saturday. Also cleaned up 18 pairs of magnesium hubs and mounted on their shortie axles....another chore tonight is to slobber 3M #80 on them and inside 36 donuts.

Slot Car Racer can post some pics of the Bulldog 3 and Hooperdog 3?
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

SCR would like to know what you found with the 6t pinion on your 1/32 F1. Did you have any gear issues?
    Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    SCR would like to know what you found with the 6t pinion on your 1/32 F1. Did you have any gear issues?
    Rob,the 6T surprised me how well it worked with the Vitula gear, but I did not like that low a gear ratio on a F1. I put the 7T back on it and tested it yesterday....much much better driveability! I didn't have any gear mesh issues with the 6T, no shredded gears, gear coleslaw, Gear Cobb Salad, etc

Quote Originally Posted by 86ed once again View Post
    James I could post photos, but a verbal explanation should suffice (I'll try to do both). My regular Bulldog 3 has .047" rails and I have the pan weights and the front weight brackets on it. Hooperdog3 has .032" rails (which are really skinny!!!) and no pan or front weights. The weights are 8 grams total. I'll work on photos.

Quote Originally Posted by 86ed once again View Post
    Bulldog 3 fully weighted, .047" rails

DSCN4421 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Hooperdog3 (no weights, .032" rails)

DSCN4420 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

SR,

Great job with the BD3s. Personally, I'll be amazed if the one with the bigger rails and the weight isn't BOTH easier to drive and faster. It's just a huge difference if you have a cobalt motor or a heavy c-can in the back. But I absolutely agree that it's best to test all of the variables.

Greg