Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    SR,

Great job with the BD3s. Personally, I'll be amazed if the one with the bigger rails and the weight isn't BOTH easier to drive and faster. It's just a huge difference if you have a cobalt motor or a heavy c-can in the back. But I absolutely agree that it's best to test all of the variables.

Greg
    Thanks Greg. Last Saturday the weighted car with the .047" rails was much easier to drive which means better for racing. The more attention you have to put on the car during a race, the more you'll get tangled up with situations you don't want. The more driveable car requires less direct attention, therefore you can pay attention a lot more to the entire track to keep an eye on unfolding disasters. I'm putting the stout motor in the .047" car tonight for Saturday's race, and the less stout motor in Hooperdog3 for another test. Considering the heavier car worked A LOT better with the JK Mercedes CLR Nats body, I will probably eventually end up converting the Hooperdog back into its original .047" configuration.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SR
    I'm confused as to these gt-12 body's for the Nats.some of them are coupes and some are open **** pit or am I reading the post wrong and I tried the Mercedes a few years back for b-pro and hated it can't see where it would work for gt-12
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic,

You are right, there are open and closed cockpit bodies. IMHO, the best looking body we have to use for GT12 will be the JK BMW V12.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Mic,

You are right, there are open and closed cockpit bodies. IMHO, the best looking body we have to use for GT12 will be the JK BMW V12.
    Gary, have you tried the other bodies, or are you using Lee's suggestion? I just received all of them from Jim and I like the looks of some of the others such as the Parma MG. I remember back at the 2008 Masters a lot of us used the MG. Also, I was peasantly surprised, I mean pleasantly surprised by how the Red Fox Cadillac looks. To top it off, KVAN told me to try the Peugeot again as that is the one Mazur uses and is blazing fast as usual. I probably screwed up the Red Fox Peugeot by trying to cut the diaplane off of it....that made it into a strange Frankenstein looking slot car. Moral of the story: test, test and more test.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    I'm confused as to these gt-12 body's for the Nats.some of them are coupes and some are open **** pit or am I reading the post wrong and I tried the Mercedes a few years back for b-pro and hated it can't see where it would work for gt-12
    As Gary already noted Mic, yes it is a mix of open and closed bodies. Remember, this is not ISRA, it is USRA. Bodies are chosen in a different process than in ISRA. Can't blame ya for not liking the JK Mercedes on your GT12!!! You saw my preliminary test results. In our NORCAL series we are even worse off because we run high downforce bodies on GT12 every month. I figure if I get my cars to work with the USRA bodies, they will DEFINITELY work with bodies like the Starfarter!!

SR
    we use to run the caddy body's on our 12 car before we allowed the r-10 and Acura body's the best caddy body was always the OS but that's not legal for USRA.I find it funny how the hardest to get right know are the red fox body's but OS got bumped out (go figure)I think the os bodys where always a little thinner then the rest ( you know quality control LOL) the bmw worked well on the mack open 12's but not meny of them being run today. I side with Kvan about the Peugeot think that has greatest down force and probably be the best for the gt-12
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Are there 2 different Peugeot bodies from Red Fox? I thought I had read somewhere that all of the spoilers were now the "same"? I know spoiler on the Peugeot I have in my box looks a lot different than the other "approved bodies".
    Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

George,

At this point it is just knowing how well the BMW works, and looking at the other bodies with them side by side. We did that last weekend at the track (I didn't purchase any of them YET). I know it was nearly a toss up when I tested the BMW vs the RF R10. Both bodies worked very well on my LMP cars. So it will be interesting to see how well they work on the GT12's. I agree the RF Caddy looks like it might also work.

I actually like the looks of the RF Peugeot but know how poorly it worked on Lee's LMP car.

Oh, and I don't like the nose on the MG. It makes you have to push the body quite far forward.

So, as you say, test, test, test!
    Last edited by GearBear; 11-01-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    Gary Johnson

Which of the new bodies is the longest? I have a feeling that will be the direction I lean toward for GT12, but have not looked at them side by side yet
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

If you are talking about side length, the Peugeot is the longest with the BMW being the next longest and the MG was the shortest.

But the Peugeot is actually the shortest if you look at the length of the body from the nose to the trailing edge of the wing.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    If you are talking about side length, the Peugeot is the longest with the BMW being the next longest and the MG was the shortest.

But the Peugeot is actually the shortest if you look at the length of the body from the nose to the trailing edge of the wing.
    Which body mounted with the guide flag as close to the nose as possible leaves the most rear spoiler behind the rear wheels??
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

I just want to add a couple things.

The ISRA Peugeot is the B Prod body of choice in ISRA GL. The "ISRA Godfather", Lou Pirro does not allow it on the East coast, as it would end up as a one body class. All other of the usual B prod bodies do not work as well. But....

This is the USRA version, you will not be able to raise the rear and slam the front. The spoiler is slightly different and you will need to maintain the cut line. You will need to do like SCR, try them all. I know which one I will be using.

I have an the older version of the MG, Dome, and Peugeot. With the diaplane cut off the Peugeot, all three bodies are the exact same length from front edge of (not the diaplane) to the rear of the spoiler. As Gary pointed out, the MG and Dome are very low for the guide shoe, the Peugeot has ample room. But again remember the cut line, I don't think any of the three should cause to much trouble, just use the eurosport method for soldering lead wires on when using the MG and Dome if in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    we use to run the caddy body's on our 12 car before we allowed the r-10 and Acura body's the best caddy body was always the OS but that's not legal for USRA.I find it funny how the hardest to get right know are the red fox body's but OS got bumped out (go figure)I think the os bodys where always a little thinner then the rest ( you know quality control LOL) the bmw worked well on the mack open 12's but not meny of them being run today. I side with Kvan about the Peugeot think that has greatest down force and probably be the best for the gt-12
    That's pretty interesting Mic, about the Caddy as the pre-R10 body. I only tried the Peugeot once or twice on a flexi car.....different from a GT12.....and on the flexi I found it had downforce for sure, but the wrong kind. Seemed to have so much FRONT downforce that the front edge of the body would get pushed down and dragged the track, and lifted the rear of the car even though the spoiler was attempting to push it down. This testing was over a year ago, in fact part of testing for LMP for the 2010 Nats at Chick's. CRASH CODGER is bringing me an Audi 18 and a Peugeot on Saturday in Modesto, I'll paint em both and try the Peugeot on the GT12.

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Are there 2 different Peugeot bodies from Red Fox? I thought I had read somewhere that all of the spoilers were now the "same"? I know spoiler on the Peugeot I have in my box looks a lot different than the other "approved bodies".
    Jasn
    I sure hope there is only ONE version Bert!!! I have to agree with you, the spoiler on the Peugeot, as I recall it, looked much more like that of the Acura....but again, I should reserve judgement until I have seen it again this Saturday. See ya in Modesto Bert!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    Which of the new bodies is the longest? I have a feeling that will be the direction I lean toward for GT12, but have not looked at them side by side yet
    Dub, because I will have all the bodies this weekend, I'll make those measurements and post them. That's a good point although I'm not sure I would jump to the conclusion that the longest will be best. Only testing will confirm any theories.