Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

At this point it is just knowing how well the BMW works, and looking at the other bodies with them side by side. We did that last weekend at the track (I didn't purchase any of them YET). I know it was nearly a toss up when I tested the BMW vs the RF R10. Both bodies worked very well on my LMP cars. So it will be interesting to see how well they work on the GT12's. I agree the RF Caddy looks like it might also work.

I actually like the looks of the RF Peugeot but know how poorly it worked on Lee's LMP car.

Oh, and I don't like the nose on the MG. It makes you have to push the body quite far forward.

So, as you say, test, test, test!
    Yeah Gary, I have to agree with you that on the Twister, the BMW was awesome on the flexi cars. I tried the Red Fox R8 and the JK Mercedes the last time I ran that class (was that at the Slugfest???? Memory is fading.....) and the BMW was the best. Lee Gilbert and I used to talk a lot about how easy it is to favor one thing over another. Lee used to have me try things without telling me what they were, he was the master of the "blind test". I think that applies to the bodies for GT12....try as hard as you can to "be blind" to how the bodies look....the only thing to trust is how the cars drives, and the lap times. Those are the only two things that really tell the truth.

As for the Peugeot on Lee's LMP....refer to one of my earlier posts, I concur totally as it was dreadful on an LMP on Frank's track a year and a half ago...that was when the Peugeot first came out. However, just to satisfy my curiosity, I will have another one painted and mounted on a GT12 and will test it the weekend of Nov 12/13....report to follow, of course.

As for pushing bodies forward, Gary, that is another Gilbertism...(i.e., to always mount the body as far back as possible). I am starting to question that as a "blanket rule". For instance, my Castricone 1/24 eurosport works best with the ISRA R10 pushed as far FORWARD as legally possible (rear tires are barely out of view when looking down from above). I tried a test body on that car and it was a lot better than the body all the way back, much more forgiving. Why did I try that? Piero told me to try it! Other racers such as CRASH CODGER mount their bodies FORWARD, not back like Lee. There's no right answer, but always QUESTION AUTHORITY!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    Which body mounted with the guide flag as close to the nose as possible leaves the most rear spoiler behind the rear wheels??
    That's your goal then? Mount as far back as possible, have the most rear overhang?

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    I just want to add a couple things.

The ISRA Peugeot is the B Prod body of choice in ISRA GL. The "ISRA Godfather", Lou Pirro does not allow it on the East coast, as it would end up as a one body class. All other of the usual B prod bodies do not work as well. But....

This is the USRA version, you will not be able to raise the rear and slam the front. The spoiler is slightly different and you will need to maintain the cut line. You will need to do like SCR, try them all. I know which one I will be using.

I have an the older version of the MG, Dome, and Peugeot. With the diaplane cut off the Peugeot, all three bodies are the exact same length from front edge of (not the diaplane) to the rear of the spoiler. As Gary pointed out, the MG and Dome are very low for the guide shoe, the Peugeot has ample room. But again remember the cut line, I don't think any of the three should cause to much trouble, just use the eurosport method for soldering lead wires on when using the MG and Dome if in doubt.
    Great comments KVAN, valuable info. I just want to clarify one thing, and not to contradict anything you said, but USRA rules do not state anything about having to use cut lines on bodies. However, there is the 1-5/8" maximum rear spoiler height, and I know that the Gugu bodies cut lines give you perfect USRA rear spoiler height. ISRA has no spoiler height limitations.

As for guide clearance, just be sure to embed your leadwires into the guide. If you have to push the body forward, so be it, it might work really well that way! With thorough body testing, you'll have a body with about 4-5 holes in it per pin tube. The rear wheel well ends up being a bit odd looking, but you'll get in testing with 4-5 body positions. Isn't that fun sounding? Let's see, I think it's 7-8 bodies for GT12, right? so a maximum of 5 X 8 = 40 different body positions to try out....glad this race isn't until March....

By the way, has anybody tried the Red Fox Audi R18?

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    That's your goal then? Mount as far back as possible, have the most rear overhang?
    That is my Goal for GT12. Moving the body forward in Euro has tested well, but with a big heavy GT12, the farthest back with the longest body seems to be my preference.

Also, the new R-18 is very short. Maybe a good King Track LMP body, but I doubt it is enough body for GT12 on a flat track. Never know though. Looking forward to your test results
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Yes there are two versions of the RF Peugeot. The USRA version can be detected by a slight slope on the front edge of the rear spoiler. I have not done a complete comparison front to back. I have not used one on a GT12 yet. The new one does have a "flap" of material behind the rear wheel. Does USRA rules require this to be cut on the "cut line" and include the front spoiler?

I have an R18 mounted on a Mack 12 but have not run it yet. Maybe a few laps at BP tonight. UGLY body! Short, as described. Also have a JK BMW that I have not yet run.

Still a lot of testing to do.

Does USRA rules require this to be cut on the "cut line" and include the front spoiler?
    Since no one has seen the new rule book we can't answer that! But in years past the answer is that it wasn't in the rule book.

Let's see, I think it's 7-8 bodies for GT12, right? so a maximum of 5 X 8 = 40 different body positions to try out....glad this race isn't until March...
    Man, I really need to take a road trip... Got a spare room for a weekend or two?
    Gary Johnson

Must be a race coming up this weekend, the telltale signs that Slotcar Racer has been at work during lunch in the University Health Center's parking lot...

parkinglotdonuts by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And further indication of upcoming NORCAL race, two hours of tire truing for 19 pairs of tires....how tedious!!!

tiretruing by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Must be a race coming up this weekend, the telltale signs that Slotcar Racer has been at work during lunch in the University Health Center's parking lot...

parkinglotdonuts by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Hmm,
    Not the usual "parking lot" donuts
    Alan Ingram

So how long till Slotcar Racer gets one of those fancy tire machines like Herman has? If you are doing that many tires for a weekend, then having one of those tire machines makes a lot of sense!
    Gary Johnson

Hey Gary, I would think he'd just have Hermenator do them.

SCR, if I did that in the parking lot at work, my boss would fire me!

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    So how long till Slotcar Racer gets one of those fancy tire machines like Herman has? If you are doing that many tires for a weekend, then having one of those tire machines makes a lot of sense!
    Should carry me through a couple of NORCAL races, plus a lot of testing coming up at Frank's for the Nats..you know, the bodies on the GT12. I really don't want one of those Hermanator tire machines, that's excessive for Slotcar Racer's needs. NORCAL is in Modesto this Saturday on Uncle Kal's Korkscrew, way fun little track. Then, December is the new flat track in Fresno. Hermanator and I will need to make a road trip sometime before that one to learn the track so CRASH CODGER doesn't have home track advantage. We know he'll be over there at least a few times a week practicing.

SR
    Where did you find the Usra red fox bodies looked at alot of online sites and haven't found them even div 2 tech directors site have them all back ordered.called lou Pirro and he can't get them .Was it not OS who just got bumped from the Nats because his bodies where not at the distributor on time?
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Gary Johnson