Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    I really don't want one of those Hermanator tire machines, that's excessive for Slotcar Racer's needs.
    Excessive? For the amount of tires you do in a year? Hmm... I don't know about that...

If I were to do as many tires as you do in a year, I would make one of those machines. I think the expense would be worth it in the time saved. But then, I just pay for Speedshop tires every race and don't worry about it.
    Gary Johnson

Talked to hershman last night. It was his choice to remove bodies from list. He was not ready for delivery at distros.

Roger S at Mid-America usually has a ton of Red Fox bodies.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Excessive? For the amount of tires you do in a year? Hmm... I don't know about that...

If I were to do as many tires as you do in a year, I would make one of those machines. I think the expense would be worth it in the time saved. But then, I just pay for Speedshop tires every race and don't worry about it.
    I guess in a perfect Slotcar World I would have a Best O' The West tire machine like Hermantor, but at my current rate of tire use, just having a single Hudy tire truer seems to be a minor inconvenience. Hermantor's tire machine is incredible....put your glued up donut/rim on the axle, shove it into the stone and a few seconds later you have a finished tire that looks beautiful. That said, his is designed to do literally hundreds per day if that was the full time job. I still consider myself a hobbyist/racer, so really using the Hudy tire truer keeps it as a hobby.

As for you, Gary, in your past posts I have a sense you are a real "tool guy". I would imagine you have a shop with every slotcar thing-a-ma-bob, doo-hickey, widget, gadget, something-or-other, jim-crack tool ever made!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

As for you, Gary, in your past posts I have a sense you are a real "tool guy". I would imagine you have a shop with every slotcar thing-a-ma-bob, doo-hickey, widget, gadget, something-or-other, jim-crack tool ever made!
    Ask him about his new lathe
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Ask him about his new lathe
    Alan, I would define a lathe as a "hum-dinger whopper jaw gadget", one of the biggest thingies you can fit in your workshop. By the way, Slotcar Racer has a Unimat lathe (minor thing-a-ma-bob) on the shelf below the regular work space....comes in very handy for various cut off jobs.

Yeah, I'm a certified tool-a-holic! I have most tools I need to do most slot car tasks (well actually most any task, from wood working to working on cars of all sizes). I still have a couple that I would like to get for slot car related tasks, namely a Cobalt Zapper, and an Arm Balancer... But Yikes they are spendy! Maybe someday I can convince the wife that she needs a new Quilting machine so that when I purchase the Cobalt magnet Zapper I won't feel so bad!

And yes, I just purchased a new to me 7x10 mini metal lathe and also a HF Micro Mill. So, now I have a whole mess of tooling to buy so that I can make my new toys sing!

One of the things I eventually want to do with the mill is create a new tire machine that will do 2 tires at once with a stepped stop for each of my most used tire sizes. Of course, that it likely going to be years down the road as I just don't have the time to do all the stuff I want to do.

In the mean time, I'm using my lathe and mill to fix up my old Walker Turner 12" band saw. It was built in the mid 1930's and doesn't use standard sized blades. So I make a spacer block to space the top wheel up to make it use a standard blade size. In order to do that I had to machine a 2" x 3" x 1" aluminum block and a couple of special shouldered bolts. It has been a fun project so far, but the turning of the new bolts is taking much longer than I thought it would! After I'm done with that I need to make a new fence for my 1950's Delta Homecraft table saw. It will be a Beisemeyer clone. When I'm finally done with those, I have to do some work on my wife's Quilting Machine so that she has a work surface under the machine slide.

Oh, and I need to turn 6 Pepper Mills on the wood lathe before Xmas. And somewhere along the line, I need to maintain my cars for the monthly races, and the Nats are approaching faster than I can believe!
    Gary Johnson

Here at TNT Raceway in Modesto, CA. Norcal slot car racing assn. today. 40 racers + here today. 36 in 4" NASCAR, 16 4.5" trucks, 31 LMPs and 30 GT 12s so far. NASCAR starts shortly. On the Korkscrew we voted to run separate races...novice/advanced then expert/pro.

So far the Protodog3 is running best on black, especially coming off the sharp turns. The LMP is serviceable and seems fine.

Almost 2:30'and they just finished NASCAR on the hillclimb. I believe amcouple of local racers took two top spots and CRASH CODGER took third overall. Then 33 places behind that.

Looks like for me it will be Protodog3 for GT12 with a very smooth motor. Nice driving package for the Korkscrew. For LMP it'll be a three piece X25 with .030" C11 pans and a .540" Super Wasp. Nice and smooth too.

OK they start trucks in a few minutes. Time to give Ballistic Bob a call.

Just about exactly two hours later, now 4:30, the 4.5" trucks just finished. Now close to time to play, I think we're doing expert/pro first, but I could be wrong.

LMP expert/pro podium
    Chris Chakires 357
    George Russell 350
    Fred Hood 344

Finished at 6:20, now time for LMP novice/advanced

Sounds like a nice long days of racing.

Thanks for the updates.
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Sounds like a nice long days of racing.

Thanks for the updates.
    Alan, you're right, it was a nice long day of racing. Always nice to be at Roy and Anne's place, truly a pleasure. I was told they may try to acquire the empty space next door and expand. How cool would that be?

Anyway, I got home kind of late and left right after the Expert/Pro GT12 race as the rain was coming down pretty hard. Luckily all the flashing lights and wrecks ended up being on the opposite side of the freeway including one car engulfed in flames. Just a wonderful way to end the evening.

Not a bad result for GT12, I don't have the lap counts,

Chris Chakires, Mack Bulldog 3
    Fred Hood, Mack Bulldog 3
    George Russell, Mack Bulldog 3

I think Fred was really close to Chris, maybe three laps off? I may be wrong, actual results will be posted on the NSCRA website in a day or two. Chris and Fred really pushed their cars through the race, Chris a bit faster I think, but Fred ran a cleaner race. My race was not one of my best, I really fell off way too many times on my own to be viable. Plus, when I came back in on red I lost a number of laps because my Budgie controller stopped working. Turned out the fuse had blown because the metal box had touched one of the hook up terminals....spacing on the Korkscrew is extremely, uh, "cozy". I don't know who was kind enough to help, but somebody shoved a 3rd Eye FET in my hands, I hooked it up, and luckily it was set pretty much exactly the same as my disabled controller was set up!!! That was truly lucky. After the heat, I ran out to the car in the rain and grabbed my own back up, the Dr. Verdo Speedshop and finished the race with it.

The format of separating driver levels on the flat track racing seemed to work very well and I hope it becomes a regular procedure in the NSCRA events. Next race first Saturday in December on the new Fresno flat track.

Second half of the season is changed a bit, we return to Modesto in February and the first Saturday of March is at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, CA, site of the 2012 USRA Scale Nats at the end of March. Great warm up race!
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 11-06-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: chassis data

The format of separating driver levels on the flat track racing seemed to work very well and I hope it becomes a regular procedure in the NSCRA events. Next race first Saturday in December on the new Fresno flat track.

Second half of the season is changed a bit, we return to Modesto in February and the first Saturday of March is at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, CA, site of the 2012 USRA Scale Nats at the end of March. Great warm up race!
    Wish I could have been there.

How did the split format affect the overall time ? When is the body switch for LMP / GT 12 ?

Yesterday was 1st day of 2 day "Taco Nationals" drag race at PSCR. Good turn out from the group down south. Fun day of just hanging out and watching some good racing.

Lee dropped by to do some GT 12 body testing. Very surprising amount of difference in bodies! Today should be a good day to work on cars for next weekends "Challenge Cup" race.
    Alan Ingram

the guys who lent you the controller name is gene a very cool guy