Thread: Preferred C-Can Setup

Preferred C-Can Setup

Monty,

Which C-can set up (or can / endbell combination) do you prefer? This is for scale racing (GTP using contender type armatures) on banked tracks. Any input would be appreciated.

I like the Koford Feather Lite setup. Price is reasonable and it works good and lasts a long time.
    Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

If you can find one of the Cahoza ul motors for ~$65 that has the T5 magnets, get that. other wise I would rather have a Red Fox setup than the Koford.
    Gary Johnson

Im with Gary, Redfox.The Kofords are a great option aswell though
    Gilbert, AZ
    Falcon Wing/G12/Flexi/Nascar/Drag Race

It depends on how much skill and work you are willing to put into your build. the Redfox is by far the best for our track. Talking about endbells, Proslot seems to be the ticket. Lots of "meat" to drill for your screws. Kofords are good, but I have an issue with how little screw material there is. Never use a "blueprinted" out of the bag unit. Always buy a kit and assemble it yourself. A wise man told me always measure and know what you have got, don't assume. your going to need some tools to build motors. Endbell alignment tool, brush hood hone, can straightening tool, slug for air gap, and Koford epoxy. Never use super glue, wont hold up to heat from soldering in motor. there is the basics. A little insight on the Redfox, we found it gausses magnets the highest and is very sturdy

I've been using the Cahoza "Production" set up, UL can, T2 magnets.....knock out the bushing, replace with bearing, pull .560" hone through it and you're finished. Red Fox motors require A LOT of building skill to make sure it's done right. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) these Cahoza set ups take all the building skill out of it because they are PERFECT when you get them. Magnets are glued in permanently, can is perfect, endbell perfect, brush hood alignment perfect, all great quality. I've been buying mine for less than $36 although I think the price is going up a bit. You can't beat it.

The ProSlot endbell works well on R/F and Koford cans.............Them motor fits better in a JK Chassis
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Quote Originally Posted by fxgeorge View Post
    I've been using the Cahoza "Production" set up, UL can, T2 magnets.....knock out the bushing, replace with bearing, pull .560" hone through it and you're finished. Red Fox motors require A LOT of building skill to make sure it's done right. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) these Cahoza set ups take all the building skill out of it because they are PERFECT when you get them. Magnets are glued in permanently, can is perfect, endbell perfect, brush hood alignment perfect, all great quality. I've been buying mine for less than $36 although I think the price is going up a bit. You can't beat it.
    I agree 100% George! Since the Cahoza setups started coming into the shop for < $40 with the T2 mags, I haven't purchased any other setup. I simply pop out the bushing on the can and replace it with a good quality flanged bearing, hone it to desired size (usually .560, but I have a couple at .550) and put in my arm of choice. In fact, I just purchased a UL with the beveled T2's in it for $39.95 that I'm going to try with a new ProSlot S16C .540 arm. Should be interesting to see how the beveled magnets work.
    Gary Johnson

It is hard to believe you can get all those Cahoza parts and a Koford 12 arm for $36.00. I have been totally satisfied with my 20 or so Cahoza setups in Box12 racing with T5 and Koford mags. I know I have spent WAAY more than that buying individual parts.
    Tim Zimmerman, former slotcar racer

Actually, George and I are talking about the setups without armatures for $39.95. The ones with the Koford arms in them are $53.39 and $55.52.
    Gary Johnson

Thanks for the clarification. I must have went brain dead while reading the post (I know better than that). The $55.52 is still a good price. I have paid $90.00 in the past (just once) for a blueprinted assembled Cahoza's using the O can. The description of the setup on the link that I went to was misleading.
    Tim Zimmerman, former slotcar racer

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Actually, George and I are talking about the setups without armatures for $39.95. The ones with the Koford arms in them are $53.39 and $55.52.
    Gary, the set up you quoted has the bevelled magnets. That might be OK for a lot of local programs, but not USRA legal for the Nats. If you are planning to run a Super 16 C in GTP at the Nats (like I am!) better go with the flat top magnets....set ups are at $37.40 on Jim's website.

Tim,

I would also plan on pulling the full motors apart and balancing the arm before using it in a race. Koford 12 arms are notorious for needing to be balanced.

George, you are correct about the beveled mags. I only have 2 setups with them and I haven't used either one yet. I hope to try one of them at the next race though. I don't understand why the beveled mags wouldn't be legal now that they are in the bag motors. I'm going to call Big Mike1 to get a clarification on that.
    Gary Johnson