Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handicapping lap count?

Other ideas for building and keeping race series pariticipation

I am having fun with my new toy and can't stop posting.

RacinRoss:

Stickers are great. You run out of room with metal plaques. Think about all the buckeye stickers plastered all over Ohio State players helmets. You should be able to find a local printer or one on line that can do stickers for you. Hope you have a friend or maybe a local jc or college intern that can create a nice colorful design.

I can't stress it enough, especially for a new raceway owner. You have to be very careful about the SCM influence destroying your race programs. It is hard to go against your most vocal and maybe your most loyal customers. A perfect but extreme example was at Chico Model Raceway which enjoyed a bright but brief 4 year existence. The owner was really into drag racing. His Friday night bracket racing was soon drawing 40 - 50 fathers and sons every week and increasing. One of his racers, CT became totally obessesed. He began spending big money and nearly every evening and entire weekends working on his cars. He began to win and then dominant every class. His ultra intense attitude towards kids and newbies that dared to break his concentration often made the atmosphere uncomfortable. Sometimes he would run two cars per class and end up racing himself in the finals. Guess what? Fewer and fewer people showed up each week. Six months later there stood CT and the owner on Friday night wondering what happened to everyone.

If the owner lets them and SCM's don't their rein in their desire to win everything it will result inevitably in races with no turn marshalls and then incomplete fields and then no races at all.

Also do not race regularly against your customers or allow your children or grandkids too. No racer ever blamed his driving for losing a race. He will always point to the winner as having better motors or access to special armatures, free track time etc.

Sorry to be so preachy.

Todd

Your not preaching! The best ideas are used ones. My track is in my basement. The beauty of that is many fold but one I don't need to make any $. Another, its my way or the highway. If you don't like what I'm doing you don't have to come. My main goal is to have fun! If we are not having fun there is no point. If racers get too serious then I will show them the door. Thanks for your input. I know what people are taking about but I don't know the term SCM :$

RacinRoss

Your track looks so professional I assumed you were a commercial raceway.

SCM = speed crazed morons = obsessed slot racers that will spend any amount of money and/or to win. If not controlled they mean certain death to a raceway or series.

Todd

Thanks for the compliment! I just PM'ed you a link to more photos of my place.

RacinRoss

Racin,

The is is very simple. You race the class for 3 weeks or races to establish each racers average lap totals. You also know how many laps it usualy takes to win the class.

Example: It takes 200 laps to win the race and racer A has scored three wins with a 200 lap total
    Racer B has run 3 races and averages 185 laps. you take 200- 185=15 laps X .80 = 12laps. that is racer B's handicap. All averages use whole numbers only and fractions are dropped. The next race if Racer B runs 185 again and plus 12= 197, a real shot at the podium. If race A bobbles a little an drops off his average of 200 he doesn't win that week. Just like bowling.
    Racer C averages 192 laps: 200-192=8 X .80 = 6 lap hanidcap.

The system works and works well, I have used it. The scratch racer won't like it but your participation overall will probably be better? But if the scratch racer is on top of his game, it still pushes the handicap racer to run a tad better than his handicap to win.

Handicaps are re-figured after every race and adjusted as experise improves...........................
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

Question

Thanks Rick,
    I think this would work well in the long run once I have a consistent group of racers.

I'm still also wondering the pro's and con's of a method that would benefit the consistent racer. The one that can run consistent laps times lap after lap heat after heat AND stay out of wrecks. Use their fast lap time, their potential lap count using that fast lap time.

Maybe I could give an award for the guy with the most laps as usual, BUT also rank the racers by consistency and have another type of winner?

So it would shake out like this. This is the real numbers from a race:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Actual..jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	7921
    If I resort the list by the potential laps based on the racers BLT you can see that some of the positions move. Even though the normal winner Butch put down the facet laps time. Resorted Joe was more consistent.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Potential..jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	7922
    In this case Zoe, Tom, and Matt all kept their same finishing positions.

RacinRoss
    Last edited by Racin67Chevy; 01-15-2011 at 09:02 AM.

The automated generated statistics from LapMaster dish out what we call the "Realised/Potential", and stores it automatically on our website.
    A sample of this is here.

What this does is to calculate the number of laps and sections that a drive could reach, if he raced at his best laptime on the lane (The potential). Then compare this to the actual lapcount (Realized).
    This ration is the Realized/potential and show how consistent the driver is. We use this for bragging rights.
    Best regards,
    Carsten Groennemann.

Huh . at my track in a starter class we look at each racer if they have ran the class before or we are aware that they have ran slot cars for a long time and are really good they are in the advance group if they are none experienced and have not ran the class before then they are in the rookie class everyone runs together but the points are added up for each group where they finish say a advance wins and a rookie finishes 3rd outta everyone the rookie really finished 1st in his div. it works great .

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    Racin,

The is is very simple. You race the class for 3 weeks or races to establish each racers average lap totals. You also know how many laps it usualy takes to win the class.

Example: It takes 200 laps to win the race and racer A has scored three wins with a 200 lap total
    Racer B has run 3 races and averages 185 laps. you take 200- 185=15 laps X .80 = 12laps. that is racer B's handicap. All averages use whole numbers only and fractions are dropped. The next race if Racer B runs 185 again and plus 12= 197, a real shot at the podium. If race A bobbles a little an drops off his average of 200 he doesn't win that week. Just like bowling.
    Racer C averages 192 laps: 200-192=8 X .80 = 6 lap hanidcap.

The system works and works well, I have used it. The scratch racer won't like it but your participation overall will probably be better? But if the scratch racer is on top of his game, it still pushes the handicap racer to run a tad better than his handicap to win.

Handicaps are re-figured after every race and adjusted as experise improves...........................
    I have raced the .80 rule with the 'everybody picks a track bucks card'. I have won and picked the $3 card and lost and picked the $8 card...It didn't really mater who won...Just having fun doing it.... And yes... it made for a bunch of us on the same lap. We started out with the extra laps on the board to begin with!

OLPHRT
    PHIL I.
    Last edited by Phil I.; 01-15-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slotcarsten View Post
    The automated generated statistics from LapMaster dish out what we call the "Realised/Potential", and stores it automatically on our website.
    A sample of this is here.

What this does is to calculate the number of laps and sections that a drive could reach, if he raced at his best laptime on the lane (The potential). Then compare this to the actual lapcount (Realized).
    This ration is the Realized/potential and show how consistent the driver is. We use this for bragging rights.
    Carsten,

This is exactly the system I advocated several years ago. In this algorithm, the racer actually is racing against himself.

Is anyone using this on a regular basis?
    Last edited by brassy; 01-15-2011 at 08:16 PM.

I know that C&R Raceway, ASR IndoorMotorSports and our local club club.RaceFun.dk uses the automatic web loaded statistical system.
    If they are using the bragging rights assosiated with it I cant tell, but at our club it has helped tremendiously on making people focus on driving ability and constancy. Driving our club towards the fun end of the European championship in Plafit racing (Hardbody) for one thing.
    Best regards,
    Carsten Groennemann.

Thanks for all the great tips guys!

RacinRoss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123