Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Hawk Motor with Koford X-12 arm

Quote Originally Posted by trickyvic3 View Post
    That could be a good point Mike, I didn't really give that a thought either, but your right, the magnets are much thinner . Also, I,m not sure what the temp rating is on these new Neos. The heat could be a big prob. From what I understand, the zappers that we have wont work on Neos and thats yet another prob. I guess we'll have to do some more testing . Well at the very least, they make one hell of a drag motor lol.
    you're right the zappers most have won't even dent neodymium. The weakest grade of neo is about equal to samarium cobalt. The reason we don't use neo's is that they have a curie point of 239 degrees or there about, so normal slot operation will demag them easily, this is why Koford lists his drag neo's as bolt in only, soldering will heat them up too much. A lot of the magnet out there listed as neo I suspect are not, if they stay magnetized longer than ,say a drag pass, I have severe doubts of the material from which they're made. My cobalt magnetizer hits at 600v at about 1000 amps for a very short time and will easily reverse cobalt but won't phase most neo, except the very lowest grades, this is not theory as I have actually experimented with this. Just for info, the cobalt magnetizer has less to do with the high power and more to do with the design of the magnetizing fixture, think a split ferrite torus with a very interesting coil wrapped around it.
    Improving performance one hazardous material at a time.

Have you guys seen the new Koford Hawk? anyone have one yet?
    Gilbert, AZ
    Falcon Wing/G12/Flexi/Nascar/Drag Race

Sounds like it could be the lastest greatest thing to hit slot cars. so wing racing you need maybe 3 to make a race thats $156 bucks a race .If they have no brakes no good for flat track racing.anyone run a smaller pinion on them say a 7t .Sounds great for drags don't need brakes anyway .Keep the good info coming on these new setups.
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 02-04-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Roger
    Received mine yesterday, great service. What ratio have you run these on "the monster" I'm going to put it in a Mack Falcon f1 chassis. Is it a an X12 arm. It's marked 12. Is it a different wind on a 12 stack?
    Pat

It's funny, people are already complaining that the motor has no brakes, but it looks like that information came from people that had not actually run one. The answer is the motor runs like a C Can 12. I put one in a JRL and it did improve the handling a little, but otherwise you could not tell. I would say it runs/sounds like a regular 12 motor, nothing special, no match for some of the high end 12 motors. On the Mid America flat track I was running with the brakes almost all the way off. I was running a 7 tooth pinion which is normal for a 12 at MA. I will try a 8t because that would be a another big cost reduction if that works.

Graham
    Last edited by fastg; 02-09-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling: never my strong point

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Roger
    Received mine yesterday, great service. What ratio have you run these on "the monster" I'm going to put it in a Mack Falcon f1 chassis. Is it a an X12 arm. It's marked 12. Is it a different wind on a 12 stack?
    Pat
    Koford marks all of their X12/12/Group 12 arms with a "12". They are all the same wind.
    Chase Walker

Here's my take. Due to lower magnet mass, it should have a little less brake, but this is probably a good thing as I usually end up turning the brake way down anyway. I suspect that gearing will be critical as the lower magnet mass should result in lower torque so you will need to watch for bogging. I would think that a 7 or at most an 8 tooth pinion would be needed. Note: I usually race on flat tracks so I'm biased that way. I don't think that these will be the ticket for wing cars on high speed tracks as , again, the magnet mass will not match the super high power of the fully built C cans. The biggest problem I foresee is getting the rule makers to let them in. In my view they should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDee View Post
    I'm thinking that something like this would be killer for open 12 and the like. If only it were legal, maybe it should be.
    That`s what I asked on a thread yesterday.
    The new ProSlot Euro Motors (BIG DOG etc.) Should be legal in USRA Division2, too.
    I would like to see how they would do against Super 16D and Contenders.
    Last edited by La Cucaracha; 02-09-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    That`s what I asked on a thread yesterday.
    The new ProSlot Euro Motors (BIG DOG etc.) Should be legal in USRA Division2, too.
    I would like to see how they would do against Super 16D and Contenders.
    I have some experience with Big Dogs in a B Production style car, they ran hot and were not as fast on the King, but handled well on the flat track. For flat tracking, with some development, they probably could be competitive, especially on a shorter and tighter track where brute power is not needed. Again these motor developments need to be added to rule packages, things have been the same for too long, new products need to be included so the tracks can sell some new stuff and ,maybe, make a little, for a change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12