Thread: Difalco HD30 Custom Resistor Blocks, How do you have yours set up?

Difalco HD30 Custom Resistor Blocks, How do you have yours set up?

As some of you may know, I have been testing the new HD30 Genesis controller (Thanks for the opportunity Jim!). I've been trying to find the settings I like, and have actually had some other people drive the controller to get their thoughts as well.

When I get home tonight, I will upload an Excel spreadsheet that I created that will graph out the resistor array to show how the power curve looks. This has been very helpful to me for trying different arrays to come up with what I like.

Patrick from the UK posted the following on the Slot Racer Today thread...
    all your talk of controllers ahas spurred me on to get used to my new defalco. I've hooked it up to a Koford choke and got some new chips made by Mike read here in the UK. It came with a 180 chip (not much use) and a 148 chip (falcon cars) main purpose of the test was to find a controler to tame my new Horky f1 motor 36/27. I used a new 52 chip with full choke and bingo I can now drive the car. It felt awesome. I ran a new 29 chip for the 32 Es and it felt great. Then moved onto our gp 12 32 saloon class using the 52 chip. it felt great as well. The relay and brake circuit is a real step up from the Kapriwa so I guess I'll be using the defalco from now on. Brai Saunders has been on at me for 6 months to do this. Should have listened earlier but it did require a choke which I have only recently acquired.
    I've not yet found an array that I like for Euro's so I'm very curious what others have used.

Here is one I like for Falcons, Contenders, and 12's.... Starting from position 1 and going to the end.

Gary Johnson

Well it sure is nice you got to use one!
    I'm just looking forward to when I can see the new line of them and find out what ESP brakes are!?!?!

Extreme Stopping Power brake relay. Our new E.S.P. brake relay significantly improves full brake response for scale and retro type racing. The brake relay is controlled by a tiny switch on our circuit board. When activated the heatsink mounted relay bypasses the brake rheostat and the fuse to give the shortest resistance path and maximum braking. Since the relay does not depend on contact between the trigger and the brass brake post the braking response will not degrade because of arcing built up on the contact surfaces. This means perfect and consistent braking every time.
    Using the ESP brakes you have 100% brakes bypassing the brake pot. For people like me who want maximum brakes, it is a great feature.
    Gary Johnson

I've been using a 30 band Difalco since they came out.

I've been using linear chips only (all resistors the same). On flat tracks I use 148 Ohms (that's a stock module) for falcons thru contenders and 87 or 89 (I don't recall) Ohms (presumably 3 Ohms x 29) for Group 12s and up including 1/24 ES, 1/32 ES, and 1/32 F1.

I have a Difalco relay choke, 0-36 feet, but use a Bugenis toroid choke plus the relay choke for 1/32 F1. I also have a very large heat sink installed. This is absolutely necessary for both 1/32 ES and 1/32 F1 on flat tracks, though I think that the heat sink fans likely work just as well.

Love the controller and the great Difalco service!

I'm having the ESP brakes installed right now.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg N; 05-11-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: forgot something

Those ESP brakes...do they read your mind or the guy's mind that is beating you into the turn?

I had to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Those ESP brakes...do they read your mind or the guy's mind that is beating you into the turn?

I had to ask!
    If you had them... you wouldn't have needed to ask... now would you???

(I had to answer)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Paul,
    I knew you'd say that........

deja Vu all over again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    I've been using a 30 band Difalco since they came out.

I have a Difalco relay choke, 0-36 feet, but use a Bugenis toroid choke plus the relay choke for 1/32 F1. I also have a very large heat sink installed. This is absolutely necessary for both 1/32 ES and 1/32 F1 on flat tracks, though I think that the heat sink fans likely work just as well.

Love the controller and the great Difalco service!

I'm having the ESP brakes installed right now.

Greg
    The Heat Sink on Greg's Controller is as big as a Toaster...lol
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Gary,

Did you ever find a combo that you liked for your G12 eurosport cars?

Ron
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo