Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HO Cars and Track Most Like 1/24 Scale Commercial Racing

HO Cars and Track Most Like 1/24 Scale Commercial Racing

What HO cars and track are most like 1/24 Group 10 or B Production Racing? (Stamped steel chassis and unsealed D and C can blueprinted and balanced motors using a variety of bodies.). I will be in a place where a 1/24 track will be too far away. I want to keep driving and probably don't have room for something bigger than a decent size HO layout. I guess a wood track would be most like 1/24. What wood track would you recommend? What are cars that handle well and have reasonably fast motors? I would guess there are no HO anglewinders? Or have things changed? I put a premium on good handling and driving. No magnets and no wing type bodies. I am open to different ideas. Thanks in advance.

Check ou www.riggenho.con
    Thierare several great track builders out there. Go into the search engine and type in Brads Tracks
    STEZ

Ol Slippery,
    If you have had a chance to check out the Riggen site, you'll see some real cool brass cars that have been refined from the early 70's era. The new 4000 series are real cool. You mentioned that you didn't want a magnet car. You may aslo try a G-Jet. This is a a 12 volt 9 ohm car with weights. It does have same minimum down force. One key to this car is to maintain the stock AST or slip on tire. If you install another tire that makes the car lower, you'll increase the magnetism a bit. The car also has some characteristics of the 1/24 scale cars. The car comes with meduim weights. There are 2 other choices of weights. The more weight you add the more the slower the lap times BUT you'll also add more character to the car ( slide outs and 360's). On what ever choice you make, good like and enjoy H O racing.

Greg Walker at The Race Place in Holly Hill, Florida 386-295-1371. Greg has an HO version of a Blue King in his shop.
    Rollin Isbell

I've seen photos of that track in the past. Does anyone know were to find the photos. I also own a 1/24 scal;e design H O track. It's an Engleman and copied from New York Elmsford, Nuvolari.

A fine racer named Al Thurman has developed a chassis using the angle winder design. It's called the Landshark Anglewinder. It being prepared now fopr production and available very soon to all who enjoy Brascars

Here is a pic of my HO MaxTrax King. It is 18'x6'. I run Trackmate driver stations and software. Thunder Storms run 2.95......Storn Extremes 2.2

TKO Raceway BLue King HO - I think 18' maybe 20' not sure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TKO Blue King HO..jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	8253  

"Fast Al" Thurman is an HO racing legend from the Midwest who nows lives in Arizona. His Landshark cars will be awesome, no doubt!!!

Bob Weichbrodt
    Rawafx@msn.com
    Winston-Salem, NC

Glue on wooded HO tracks?

When racing BRASCARs on wooden tracks, is glue ever used?

I'm asking because I purchased a Wizzard w/o magnets and took it for a few laps around the raceway"s wooden track. The car handed well initially, but once the silicone coated tires became dirty it would get hung up on the rails and slip along until it got to a straight. Could this be because the rails might be set higher for magnetic cars? Or perhaps it is a combination of both the high rails and the dirty tires? I think I have read that silicone on rubber tires do get dirty and lose traction to a degree but this seemed extreme. Also, the track needed to be cleaned.

The car came with a "hotrod" body. What good handling bodies do people recommend? A high down force body would be fine, but no wings. Do they even make "winged" HO bodies? I wouldn't think so because of the use of magnets.

Ol Slippery,
    This is only a guess on my part. I doubt that they are using glue on the tracks. Silicone sponge tires do not work well with glue. In regards to your Wizz Jet, Clean your tires with masking tape. H O tracks should be covered over night and pre-wiped down witha micro fabric cloth. If I'm not mistaken, the Wizz Jet is sold with an option of .440 and .450 tire heights. The lower the tire, the more magnetism from the rail. It's possible that on your track, the car is just clearing the rail or sits slightly on the rail. When the tires get dirty, they may not have enough bite to push the car when it's touching the rail. Going to taller tires may eliminate this problem. It may also add some additional character to the car, such as more sliding and 360's, just like to 1/24 scale retro cars.

Stez (and anyone else),

The Wizzard Thunder (Storm) I bought has no magnets; the packaging says it is a limited edition. It has brass weights instead of magnets.

The commercial wooden HO track I raced on had no glue on it. I was just wondering if people do just run sponge rubber and glue like they do with 1/24 scale.

Ol, Slippery,
    I'm aware that the car has no traction magnets. I'm referring to down force from the motor magnets and the bottoming out of the car. My guess would be that there may be some guys racing with sponge but can't imagin that there are enough of them to warrant traction glueing down a track. It's messy and would hurt the cars that use silicone slip on and silicone sponge tires which probably makes up the bulk of H O racing.

Routed HO Track

As far as I can tell both Brad's Tracks and Max Trax are routed plastic. What are people's experience with these? Is one different than the other to a substantial degree? From what I gather the Max track is made in separate pieces and Brad's is continuous.

What other track builders should I be looking into?

Does anyone build wooden HO tracks? From what I have read, it seems to be more difficult than routing larger scale track.
    Last edited by Ol' Slippery; 03-08-2011 at 01:53 AM.

HO Track Builders in no particular order

Brads Tracks: www.bradstracks.com
    Maxtrax: www.maxtraxracing.com
    Wizzard: www.wizzardho.com
    Dunlap: www.dunlapmotorplex.com
    Brystal Tracks: no website
    TKO: www.cnccustomcutting.com
    21st Century, Buck Track and Fulltilt Speedway are no longer making tracks but can be found used occasionally.

Mike Block
    www.thequarrel.com
    www.slottrak.com
    www.oconomowocraceway.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast