Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Cars, Retro & From The Mouths Of Babes

To each his own I guess.
    I have been racing for a long time.
    I`ve been to 3 Retro Races and I guess I understand the appeal to some, but it`s not my favorite type of racing.
    Last edited by La Cucaracha; 02-23-2011 at 12:52 PM.

I was thinking more along the lines of...

figuring out just how Hesketh was going to teach us how to argue correctly about arguing ?
    " A little less whining and a little more driving should cure the problem "
    Ronald R. Van Wagnen

Ron, you don't need any lessons arguing you can start an argument even if everyone is agreeing with each other.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Hesketh

I was just thinking, we are having a Retro East race this weekend at Port Jeff and Noose always lends out cars, maybe you can come race Retro this weekend and then you can decide if you hate wing cars for yourself.
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

I could tell you the exact opposite story only about my 6 year old son trey, I have built him many flexi cars with anything from a mini brute to a old box 12 motor in them and all he says are "these things are boring dad" then we gave him a box 12 car at mid america last year (5yrs old) and he finished third in the race and lost a gear in the first heat. Now at my raceway he tells me that "my 27 lite car isn't fast enough" running 2.1-2.3's so we got out the glue bottle and choke controller and his favorite car is a gp7 with a 20 mag 84.5 on 6' of choke going 1.9-2.1 sec. laps. He wont even touch a retro or flexi anymore so I guess you could say he's a adrenaline junkie at 6, I think he's too young to be a full fledged "speed crazed moron"

;
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

I think

Retro is fun. I have enjoyed driving the cars and the people who race in the NE are awesome bunch of drivers. At least in the "A" main.

Wing cars give me that adrenaline rush, I just cannot get it racing anything else.

Enjoy them both or pick one.
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

I am happy racing wings and I am happy for people who race and enjoy retro. I just get annoyed at retro and scale racers who feel compelled to piss on wing racing . It's funny how that urge doesn't seem to run in the other direction.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

A lot of assumptions but that is OK it is just good dialog.

"You obviously prefer retro and that’s fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone likes the same thing. A statement that "I prefer retro to wings" is just that, a statement of personal preference and completely unassailable. However when that statement changes to "retro is better then wings and I can prove it" that’s no longer a statement of preference but an opening salvo in an argument and you shouldn't be surprised at the response it generates"

First of all I am not surprised at the response this generated. I do not prefer Retro to Wings. There is a reason I wrote this in the first place.*

Wing cars are not the root of all evil and I understand how you feel as I have heard it also, but I have stated repeatedly that at Modelville we will support everything. Luckily, we have or will have a facility that will support everything and the market will determine what is popular. The Yankee USRA last year and this year will run everything including OMO.(not retro).

I think from my perspective 27 lite is still my favorite but that is just me and as long as I still have the reflexes I will race wing cars, competitive or not, just for fun win or lose. We will aggressively promote Wing Cars starting with Box Stock and ProWire 12 and up , as I still think that they are important and a basic part of slot car racing. It is really too bad that these Forums bash one class for another but that is what seems to be the norm in our society, one point of view needs to fail for another to exist.

Kaitlin's story was just that, a story, everybody should take their own perspective from the story but again, everything is important and it is my job to see that those coming thru the door know what the options are. Not everybody wants nor has the skills to assemble their own car from scratch. Somebody running a Falcon car built around a Box Stock 12 Chassis can move up easily to a GR12 motor. Then up to a 27 and up. It is about choices and options.

It would be unfortunate if some raceways to just support a single class but that is their choice and does not make it right.

*THE INTENT OF WHAT I WROTE WAS WE NEED TO MAKE THIS FUN FOR THE NEW PEOPLE AND THOSE WHO ARE COMING BACK AFTER 30 YEARS. RETRO SERVES A PURPOSE THAT WAS NOT THERE 10 YEARS AGO. I WANT HER TO LEARN TO PUT TOGETHER HER CAR IF SHE SO DESIRES. IF SHE WANTS TO GO FASTER THEN WE HAVE THOSE OPTIONS. I AM THE WRONG PERSON TO FORCE ANYBODY TO RUN RETRO ONLY…. IF YOU LOOK IN MY BOX THERE IS A LOT OF WING STUFF. I LOVE IT ALL INCLUDING HO.

AGAIN, I THINK RETRO WILL EASE PEOPLE IN AT BOTH ENDS YOUNG AND OLD
    AND THOSE WHO WANT THE EXPERIENCE SHOULD BE ENCOURAGED TO GO FURTHER AND FASTER.

What I think was trying to be said was "Whatever is fun for whomever is behind the controller" is what will work in bringing new and non-active people into and back into slot cars. I do not think it was a bash one way or the other on anything.

Just look at how many different Slot Car forums online there are - and we're a small group. Just saying.
    Keith Dickson
    GT1-GTP racer......

"Mongo like candy!"

The Retro Race at Slots-A-Lot in Franklin Square had a great turn out.The racing was some of the best I've seen.Everyone had a good time.My car was not ready but after the races a few guys drove it to sub 5s on the King.Best I could do was a 5.105.Pretty good for a first Retro build. Ken wants to start racing Stock Cars if anyone is interested.Point is race what you like,glue if you need it,giant wings if that is the only way to stay on or 1/2" spoiler and no glue if that's your bag.Take the wing off a Top Fuel dragster and it's all over.Every type of race vehicle has aids to make them manageable.Some just need alot of outside mechanical aid and some just need a controller.Gotta' admit though I've never seen a six year old drive a retro car in competition against adults.Just race what you like and like what you race.Or find another sport.Slot-On________Sam.

Lenjet,

Awesome story. I got into slots in the mid 60's then left it.

When I rediscovered the hobby in '05 my daughter was 13. With her and her best friend, then 14, had the best time playing and racing slot cars. Memories I will always cherish.

Wing, Flexi, Retro, Drag, doesn't matter as long as you're having fun. Even better when you can do it with your family.

Keep having fun. Enjoy the the time. They grow up fast as I'm sure you know.
    Steve (Spud) Saunders
    "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference." -- Harry Truman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12