Thread: Where is this track- anyone know?

Where is this track- anyone know?

I long since lost any pictures I had, of the reverse hillclimb I used to race on, in Merrimac, MA at Checkered Flag Raceway.

I have since thought about replicating a track similar in design at home, albeit via 1/32 plastic track, and it doesn't look like I'd have near enough room.

So I was telling my wife of racing days gone by and how I LOVED that track. Then I'm perusing youtube, looking for something TOTALLY unrelated, with the exception that it does have four wheels.

And I came across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jf2X...eature=related

I showed my wife, who just smiled and said "that's nice hun". But man would it be good to dust off the 1/24 commercial stuff once again, sometime.

I doubt it's near southern Virginia, but I can dream.

:::Edit::: I'm a dummy- the location was in the details of the video...

sooooooo, does anyone know where the Checkered Flag Raceway track went to? Or where another reverse hill climb is, hopefully closer to the Mason-Dixon line?
    Last edited by trailrockinjeep; 02-22-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: I goofed
    -Cory

We have one. All our information can be found at www.dthobbies.com If you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks
    Donnie
    www.dthobbies.com
    Hanover PA

Cory,

Not sure if we ever met, but I also used to race at Checkered flag. Mainly on Sunday's for the hardbody races but also an occasional Saturday night B-Prod race. I'm not 100% sure of this but think I remember a rumor that perhaps Speedy had purchased it or had been simply disassembled and was being stored at the current location. This of course has to be almost 7 years ago so no telling where either of the tracks are now. Racing is alive and well though in Ashland, MA at Modelville Hobby if you are interested.

Dominic

Just for your info there are 3 raceways in Virginia. Chick's Hobbiz in Ashland, Valley Raceway in Waynesboro, and Sheaves Racing Slots in Weyers Cave. Valley and Sheaves both have hillclimbs while Chicks has a King G9 and a very challenging flat track called The Ashland Anaconda. I live in Chesapeake, Va and I've been to all three but do most of my racing at Chick's
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Cory, I don't know whether it's true or not, but I heard that both the Checkered Flag hillclimb & the oval had gone to Plymouth, MA for a boy's club or recreation league. I have an email address for Speedy if you want to contact him. He's running 1/32 plastic cars with the HOST group here in NH.

Bill
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    Cory,

Not sure if we ever met, but I also used to race at Checkered flag. Mainly on Sunday's for the hardbody races but also an occasional Saturday night B-Prod race. I'm not 100% sure of this but think I remember a rumor that perhaps Speedy had purchased it or had been simply disassembled and was being stored at the current location. This of course has to be almost 7 years ago so no telling where either of the tracks are now. Racing is alive and well though in Ashland, MA at Modelville Hobby if you are interested.

Dominic
    Dominic, thanks for the good news! Unfortunately, I have since moved away from MA for quite some time now. About 10 years ago, back when I was 15. Even then, I used to race on the weekends at Checkered flag, maybe a year before that. I had a falling out with some of the older guys that were running incorrect cars, and they didn't like it that I pointed it out to them, being so young. My paper route money was earned hard. I didn't want an uneven racing field. But again- YEARS AGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    Just for your info there are 3 raceways in Virginia. Chick's Hobbiz in Ashland, Valley Raceway in Waynesboro, and Sheaves Racing Slots in Weyers Cave. Valley and Sheaves both have hillclimbs while Chicks has a King G9 and a very challenging flat track called The Ashland Anaconda. I live in Chesapeake, Va and I've been to all three but do most of my racing at Chick's
    Freddie,

Now that's some dedication! I'm out in Suffolk by the Chesapeake Square Mall- I may have to make the 2 hour trek one weekend and see what they're all about, at Chicks. From their website, it looks like they even ran the old S16D GTP class I loved so much as a kid. In fact- I still have my winning setup with an old twister motor... MAN that thing was fast! (it even gave Speedy a run, ONCE. He beat me with a fastest lap time of only .1 of a second. But I believe I had more laps that race.-and I had built the car all by myself)

Bill- I doubt Speedy would remember me, but sure, if you have an email, I'd love to see how he's doing and what is up with the track and such!
    -Cory

Old Pictures?

Just out of curiosity...

does anyone have any old pictures of this place, when it was still in business? I'd love to get copies, from anyone if they're available somewhere!
    -Cory

Quote Originally Posted by trailrockinjeep View Post
    I posted that video. It's a bit of a hike from Virginia, but if you ever have occasion to travel to New York stop by. Franklin Square is on Long Island, a suburb of New York City.

Slots-A-Lot Raceway
    1100 Hempstead Turnpike
    Franklin Square, New York 11010
    George

I don't know where the track is, but here is a picture (if I can attach) from an NECC race in 2003. My 11 yr old son was racing.

ChrisJ RI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CI00004..jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	11105  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CI00002..jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	11106  

Chris! Thanks so much!

Man, I miss that track!
    -Cory

a new slot car track in Chesapeake Virginia

Hello, I just opened an arcade, Area 51 Arcade & Family Fun Center that might interest you because you are in Chesapeake. I just opened in Chesapeake Square Mall this past Sunday and the arcade has a 6 lane Ninco 1/32 slot car track. It is 25' long and 10' out where the loop is. We just set it up and could use someone to come over and give us any input to it. It's not a new track so it DOES have it's flaws! Currently we do not have any software controlling it, it is setup with coin slots and electronic timers to the relays. We are waiting for the lap counters to get here, again, custom led counters attached to the dead strips with a customer controlled reset button. If you are near the mall, stop over, go in the through Sears and we are the 4th store on the left, the old 'Champs' sporting goods store.

Check us out on facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/area51arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-13 19.42.42&.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	11134  

Name:	2012-06-10 19.07.25&.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	11135  

Name:	2012-06-13 19.42.18&.jpg 
Views:	106