Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A sad day in Edgewood WA.

My sincere condolences to Rob's Wife family and friends, we'll all miss you, John Beavert.

Heartfelt saddenening news

My condolences go out to Diane McCuistion and for the loss of our slot community leader. I will keep this simple...

Ive knowen both Rob from Slot racing as well as Diane when she was a coworker for a few years at a Department store I work at .

This is shocking and saddening news.

I remember the day I got a call from Rob and met up with him and discussed his dream for a PSCR raceway. It started out simple hopes as a garage based facility, but quicky grew when the idea blossomed to a dream raceway.
    He invested his love for the hobby and his work (for those who do no know as a 13 yr Kent police officer).

Also for video report: http://www.king5.com/news/Kent-Polic...116866783.html
    For more info go to : http://www.kirotv.com/news/26988902/detail.html
    I tried to post imbeded report but no success: http://www.king5.com/news/Kent-Polic...116866783.html
    (fixed now - PK)

Good bye my good friend.

Raymond Batchelor
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 02-25-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: imbed video

I just heard the news and am shocked. Rob was such a great guy and always had a smile on his face. He will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family.
    It's better to Have and Not Need than to Need and Not Have!!

Chris Kendrick

sad day indeed!

I am proud to say I was racing Rob back in theol' kent days When he was a Koford team racer & I was a semi Camen team racer w/Hansen & Timmy B.!its been an even greater pleasure to see his recent efforts w/Pacific raceway..& to race him again ..I will miss that ..My condolences to his family , The world has lost a great soul ...Craig P. rieland

I am truly going to miss you Rob. Rest in peace and may God bless you and your family at this time. Chuck Ashcraft
    Last edited by Iron Finger; 02-25-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Rob McCuistion

June 29, 1957 - Feb 24, 2011

Since hearing the news about Rob, I've been speechless... and a bit numb. When Jim called me he was still overcome with his grief, as he had just been with Rob at the shop prior to the accident. After seeing the news article and then video online, the reality really started to hit me.

I first knew and raced with Rob back in the 1980's when he raced at Speedway & Hobby Too in Kent, WA. In just a few short years Rob had gone from a new racer to a top Pro. Rob raced on Team Koford in the local series as well as the Western States Champs, the Seattle Slugfest, and the USRA Nats - all hosted at Speedway Too in 1988. Rob also traveled to several races and the Nats the following year as well.

When Speedway Too closed, Rob moved on to other priorities, with a growing family and a career as a Kent Police Officer.

It's hard to believe that such a short time ago, just over a year and a half, Rob had contacted me. He said his youngest kid had gone off to boot camp, and he had a case of "empty nest syndrome", and decided he wanted to get back into slot car racing. Rob got back into it in a big way, as it all unfolded in front of us here on OWH.

Rob got in touch with me, and we spent hours on the phone and in person, while I filled him in on the slot car scene. Rob also was in touch with Raymond Batchelor, who filled Rob in about several tracks in the area, & Dan Parris who was an avid drag racer, as well as recently getting into 1/32 racing.

Rob wasted no time, first getting the Hillclimb track from Victoria BC, then Rob, Dan & I made the trek to Arizona to pick up the King Track, and to Portland Oregon to grab the "Twister" flat track. Dan also hooked Rob up with the drag strip that had been at the Puyallup track where Dan had managed it.

Now with 3 road courses and a drag strip, Rob found a building in Edgewood, WA, not far from his home, and the building of Pacific Slot Car Raceways began. Rob & Dan, along with any volunteer help available, spent countless hours assembling the tracks and fixing up the building. I also helped to assemble the tracks, while Raymond worked his magic on wiring up the lap counters and power. Jeff & Shawn Sweeney were always around helping out, and many others stopped by to lend a hand as well.

While all this was taking place, Rob still had his "day job" as a Police Officer - so he was really putting in some serious hours!

Sometime around when the raceway was about to open, Dan made a statement that turned out very prophetic. He said something like "I'll bet you that in 6 months, most of the racers here will be people we haven't even met yet". This proved to be a bold positive statement about "growing the hobby" with an all new customer base - of both former racers and people who had never seen a slot car before!

Over the next year, the racing progressed, with the introduction of each class of racing, on each track, steadily growing with new racers adding to the mix. It was surprising to see how fast some of the new racers became competative with the seasoned "old pros".

Jim Radford was a young racer back at Speedway Too, and had also contacted me about getting back into slot cars. I invited Jim out to PSCR. Jim made fast friends with Rob & Dan, and his computer expertise proved invaluable, as he set up the Point of Sale system and then the online store. Jim quickly became a regular fixture at the store, helping Rob & Dan with the daily business of running the raceway, as well as the mail order.

Recently, the addition of Wed night Womp racing for kids really took off, and Rob was thrilled. In every conversation or email I had with Rob he was just thrilled about how much he enjoyed seeing the enthusiasm and joy that slot car racing brought to the youngsters.

A little over 6 months ago, I made a big move to be with my honey in the Philippines. I have missed the racing and mostly my friends, but I have kept in touch here on OWH, & by phone. Jim & I talk by phone at least once a week, so I have followed all the racing & my friends at PSCR from afar.

Throughout all the hard work, of building the raceway, tracks, etc... Rob always has had that BIG smile. Besides owning the raceway, Rob was a racer who LOVED to build and race, and he lit up like a kid on Christmas morning at every race.

No matter how busy, Rob always was sure to greet customers, meet new people, and spend time getting to know everyone that came.

Rob had truly created much more then just a business - it was a COMMUNITY of old and new FRIENDS who shared a love for a very special hobby. People of all ages, building & racing toy cars together and loving it.

And nobody loved it more then Rob. He was the biggest "kid" of all, and his joy was infectious.

I still can't believe that Rob will no longer be walking in that door with his big smile.

Rob - you will be missed by so many people. We will never forget you, and all the good times that you have shared with us!

Photos of Rob McCuistion - on the PSCR Photo Bucket Album:

http://s567.photobucket.com/home/Pac...2520McCuistion

View as Slideshow (direct link):

http://s567.photobucket.com/home/Pac...view=slideshow

Rob in the "crow's nest" doing what he loved nearly as much as racing - running a race

When Rob wasn't busy with customers or racing, he was busy building cars

Rob McCuistion, Jim Radford, & Dan Parris - share a Gp 12 wing car podium together - April 2010

My heart goes out to Rob's family - but I hope they know how much Rob meant to all of us slot car racers who knew and raced with Rob as well. He will truly be missed.

Paul Kassens
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 02-25-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

A sad day!

What a shock to us all! Our heart goes out to his family and friends, the world has
    lost another “Great guy”. God Speed Rob McCuistion you will be greatly missed by many !

God bless you and your family,

Kevin,Maureen,Kelly and Cody Kosir
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Racer on ice!

Thanks Paul for putting into words how we all feel about Rob, he was indeed special. I could add a lot but i am still shedding many tears. Earlier that day i went to the track for some parts, when i left i waved goodbuy to Rob, as he was talking on his cell phone. That is a pic. i wiil always remember, a happy, gentle, kind, face. Leonard Strand

I am still so totally in shock about this that I'm at a loss for words.

Rob was such a great person and a good friend. If there is anything we can do for Diane and the rest of the family, I would love to chip in and help.

Paul and others have said more eloquently than I ever could how much his life has impacted so many people. He was always smiling and quick to lend a hand to any who needed it. I remember talking with him last Saturday about the upcoming Wing race, and how much he was looking forward to taking half a day off his "real job" so he could come race. He was really excited to be able to get back on the track with his wing cars.
    Gary Johnson

Yes Paul, very well written. I am glad to say that I knew Rob...that smile....that laugh....Godspeed Rob.
    It's better to Have and Not Need than to Need and Not Have!!

Chris Kendrick

Here's a link to a much more detailed article in the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

I'm pleased that they took the time to delve into Rob's passion and business of slot cars, in addition to his career as a police officer.

There were so many of us who's lives were touched by Rob outside of his family and co-workers, that I'm glad they showed this side of Rob.

Besides Rob's family and the Kent Police Department, my heart also goes out to Jim & Dan. They had become like family to Rob, and dealing with this tragedy I'm sure is especially hard for them. They're not only dealing with the loss of a best friend, but will then have to deal with the "now what?" at the raceway...

After reading the Seattle Times article... I realize how hard this has been for Jim, who was following Rob home...

It makes it all the more difficult when we realize what a close knit community of friends develops, who meet and compete regularly at a slot car raceway. It's not like we can all just get together at a bar or something... when the raceway IS the nucleus of the social group.

And Rob was our host, our leader, and our friend.

It's still so unreal... if Rob had just missed the tree or something, I can imagine, knowing Rob, he'd be back at the track on Saturday, joking about it. It sure makes us realize how fragile life truly is. Even though Rob and fellow police officers face danger each and every day, something as unexpected as this can happen to any of us.

So sad, and so upsetting... Rob, I will never forget the great times I had with you.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

A very sad day for sure!
    I had a great time with Rob and all the guys at PSCR over Thanksgiving.
    Rob was a great guy and we will miss him.
    Rest in peace my friend!

Dave & Julie Mountz
    Amanda, Jake, Caleb and Anna Bruce
    http://pslotcar.com Built to Win!
    All designs,products and trademarks are the sole property of Precision Slot Cars™
    All rights reserved © Copyright 2007- 2018

I've had a few thoughts since yesterday.

When I was at The Flats last summer, something that still makes me giggle was when a customer was grousing about something to Rob, and being a police officer who by profession needs to know how to handle things diplomatically said, "Thanks very much for sharing that insight with me". That told me a lot about Rob, he was a man of finesse. He also really wanted to run his raceway as best as possible. He asked me, as a past track owner, how he could improve. Quite frankly, I did not see anything that needed improvement. He was doing everything right from what I could see.

My other thought has been if we are to learn anything from this tragedy, let us all keep in mind that when we enter an automobile, we have now entered into the most dangerous activity in our lives. I tried to drive this point in very deeply with both of my daughters who are now 26 and 24. I get worried every time I think about those children of mine driving. Please drive carefully my friends.

I was saddened to hear of Robs passing. I met Rob through fester, used to race 1/32 cars with fester before he went to the big leagues. Rob always welcomed me with a smile and a hi Greg ( don't know how he could remember my name, must be a cop thing.) He always made me feel welcome there. My heart goes out to his wife and family. I can't add to the many good things Fester and Paul already said. He will missed by many people.

Rest in peace Rob

Greg Bittner
    Last edited by OOPS-SORRY; 02-25-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    What a shock, to be watching the news and see the tragedy that befell a dear old friend.

Rob and I had just recently started some communications about me coming down and visiting with him. He had heard, I guess, that I had recently had a reunion of sorts with a bunch of my old '60s racer friends down in SoCal. He was sort of inquiring about the Retro Racing movement. Looking for ways of growing the sport and hobby up here.

I remember Rob (back in the '80s) as he advanced through the various skill levels of racing, from the neophyte womp racer up to winning pro wing car races as a factory racer. And one thing that stood out always about Rob, was his dedication to being a good will ambassador for slots, and his always level headed perspective of keeping it all enjoyable. He didn't let "Factory Ride" BS get in the way of friendships.

I was sitting in a small little dive teriyaki place yesterday and overheard a conversation between two gentleman. One was wanting to take his son "slot car racing". The other related the recent tragic news he had heard in the media concerning the slot racing track owner. After a minute or two of conversing, they both were taking their sons slot racing today. So even in tragedy, Rob is remaining a positive influence, even to those he hadn't met yet.

God Speed, Rob
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast