+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Florida slot car tracks

Florida slot car tracks

Does anybody know if there are any tracks near Tampa/Largo/St. Peterburgh Florida?? Let me know please as we are going down there in 2 weeks and want to check out the competition.

Hi, there are only three drag tracks and they are all around Orlando. I think its about an hour across I-4 from that area. Miracle Mile 1/4 mile, Slot Car Drags 1/4 mile and ASR Indoor Motorsports Raceway has an 1/8 mile. As far as a roundy round there used to be a place called John's in Riverview near Tampa/St. Pete area but I don't know if it is still open. All the tracks in Orlando have at least one roundy round track. Joe D.

Well the above report was about not correct!

Miracle Mile, and ASR both have tracks other then drag stips.\\

There are other raceways in Florida, but you asked about the Tampa / St. Pete area.

John's Slot Car Garage is located in Riverview, about 30 minutes from downtown Tampa. It has a King track that has been shortened to fit the area inside. It now meaures 135 feet per lap. If you are not a purist, it's almost impossible to tell that the track has been shortened. You care just gets to the Deadman a bit quicker.

The other track, dubbed affectionately "The Collosus of Riverview" is a 200 foot lap length Hillclimb!

Both tracks are in terrific condition and they are open on both Saturday and Sunday while you are here.

I hope you get a chance to make it over to John's as it is quite an experience.
    Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

Thank you for all the replies so far,, we will be in the area sometime after the 20th. ,, we will be looking for a place to move into then coming back to Indiana to pack up. I like to do the drag race more than the roundy rounds but I can do them too,, wife likes the roundys
    Last edited by funslots; 04-08-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Howdy soon-to-be Tampa Bay area neighbor (in FL anyone within an hour is a "neighbor"). I live in South Tampa, and unfortunately can confirm what the others have stated. John's Slot Car Garage in Riverview is the only raceway on "the other left coast". Due to historical circumstances it is only open on Saturdays from 1-ish to 5-ish (when you get there you'll understand better). But the roundy-round tracks are excellent, and the people have fun. PM me when y'all get settled in down here, and we'll get you on the JSCG email list.

Straight-liners are in the Orlando area. Ain't that far really, and it's a straight shot up I-4. I can make ASR in 90 minutes, if I don't get pulled over or stuck in Dizzy World traffic...

Rick

What the heck do you mean the above report was about not correct? Read my post and read yours, I stated all the tracks have a roundy round track also and they do. Since he posted in the drag section that is why I talked about them and not the east coast. I also mentioned John's but did not know since his passing what was going on and his King track was my old track. Thank you

More places to drag race in the near future ...... Bill Pinch at The Raceway.biz in Melbourne, Florida has obtained a drag strip and should have it setup soon.

And, I am pleased to announce that Slot Car Raceway & Hobbies in Jacksonville, Florida has put a binder on a drag strip and we hope to have it operational within the next 30 days.
    Rollin Isbell

Slot Car Raceway & Hobbies
    9735 Old St. Augustine Road, #15
    Jacksonville, FL 32257
    904-527-3504

Rollin that is good to hear we will come up and check it out. I just want to know what was wrong with my post there are no other ones (drag strips) up and running right now closer to Tampa.

Roadrunner69,

After going back and re-reading your post, I do agree it is not incorrect.

HOWEVER . . . . . . . . when I read this statement:

"Hi, there are only three drag tracks and they are all around Orlando."

basically I stopped reading as the statement said to me the only thing in the area was drag strips.

While it is not incorrect, it truly is not correct, and easily lead me to believe it was incorrect.

A statement that would be correct, would have been something like this: "There is one track near the area you are asking about and that is John's Slot Car Garage. It does have 2 tracks, 1 is a hillclimb and the other a King. There is not a drag strip. Up in the Orlando area, there are 3 locations with drag strips . . . . . . . "

Do you agree?

Sorry but the only thing I will agree with is to disagree lol. My point was to the OP that was posted in the Drag Racing section. That is why I stated the Orlando tracks, I only brought up John's because it was in the immediate area of which he asked. I also said John's was a roundy round that is not a drag strip. So we agree to disagree no big deal just wanted to know what you meant by your statement. By the way this is Joe D. in Fort Myers are you Bill P. ?? If it is maybe someday we will meet I got out of the state series when it went to My Series. I am in Orlando usually the third Sat. of the month to drag race at Mikes that is the closest to us now for drag racing.

Joe D.,

Well then it is I that owes you an apology. I use the "New Posts" button and never even noted that it was drag racing only.

Please accept my apology.

Nope, I am not Bill Pinch, but totally support his.

BTW, Bill just got back from a road trip to pick up a 1/4 mile drag strip for his new place in Melbourne. From a single drag strip that was at Miracle Mile to a Drag Strip in most of the raceways in Florida is a big change. Tracks that either have or will have Drag Strips:

Jacksonville - Slot Car Speedway - 1/4 mile drag strip
    Melbourne - The Raceway - 1/4 mile drag strip
    Orlando - Slot Car Drags - 1/4 mile drag strip
    Longwood - ASR-IMS - 1/8 mile drag strip
    Ocoee - Miracle Mile - 1/8 mile drag strip

Myself, I'm more into retro racing. I like designing and building my own chassis, then racing the car against others. Kind of like the way it was done 'back in the day'.

As I said no big, but I would like to correct your last post lol. Miracle Mile is a 1/4 mile track not 1/8. It's all good in the hood, as I said maybe we will meet sometime I have been around the Florida slot racing in one way or another for quite sometime. It's nice to see new tracks just wish they were closer to southwest Florida, who knows road trip weekend race Sat. night then Sun. at another track. Oh and thank you for the apology but not needed I was just curious about your remark. Joe D.
    Last edited by Roadrunner69; 04-10-2011 at 07:29 PM.

One more correction .... SCR&H in Jacksonville is going to probably be a 1000' track. We don't have the 72' for a 1/4 Mile track
    Rollin Isbell

Jacksonville, FL 32257
    904-527-3504

Well it is final,, We purchased a place in Largo and will be moving there in about 2 months,, hope to make it to some of the tracks there soon,,,

Congratulations!! Welcome to Florida.
    Rollin Isbell

Jacksonville, FL 32257
    904-527-3504

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast