7 14.29%
  • $10.00 lane stickers included and practice

24 48.98%
  • $15.00 lane stickers and practice included

4 8.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fair price for entry fee for regular weekly race

fair price for entry fee for regular weekly race

Lets see what everyone thinks is a fair price for a regular weekly race as far as entry fee goes ..
    Drive it like your daddy bought it

To encourage early entries and more practice time:

If open M-T-W-Th free track time days with 5.00 entry fee per race. If you have three races on a day, make it 13.00 for all three.
    Friday, Saturday and Sunday All day pass is 10.00 if you do not participate in racing. If you race the fee is 8.00 per race including lane stickers. And if you hold three races it is 20.00 for all three races including lane stickers. people do not like to double dipped for racing and track time.

Drag racing is 2.00 per car and 1.00 buy back per car. Special events like Enduros and so forth would be a different pricing scheme.

This might encourage customers (yes they are customers) to come early and stay late. As I read somewhere "An empty slot car track (no customers on the terack) is a closed slot car raceway". Keep customers on the slot car track and they buy parts and bring in customers.... IMHO

Keeping it simple

Manny

If the race fee is also covering free track time for the night and lane stickers, I see no problem with $10. An extra couple bucks to help keep the doors open doesn't bother me in the slightest. Heck, I spend more on tires and bodies than I ever will on entry fees!
    Gary Johnson

We charge $10 to race and pay back $40% in track bucks through a blind draw.

The winner gets to choose first but is not guaranteed of winning the top amount.
    Rollin Isbell

WOW.... The track i know of charges 8 dollars for the first class and the other 3 classes are FREE.. How can it survive??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Frank View Post
    WOW.... The track i know of charges 8 dollars for the first class and the other 3 classes are FREE.. How can it survive??
    Parts sales!

The more entries, the more worn out tires & parts... and the more crashes.

The more worn out tires & parts & crashes - the more parts sales!

The more racers - the more fun!

And the more racers - the more sales!

Win-win
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

paul has the idea . if you having to pay say 10 to 15 bucks for a race fee /practice before hand your just that much more limited on funds for parts and that where most money is made . id much rather spend the extra 10 or 15 in parts to support my cars with new parts im way more ap to spend 15-20 in parts but to race um no not for a local weekly race usra yea because its a big event and the racing is in another league . and even usra in my part of the country only charges 15 bucks per class .. it would be kinda like racing at a local small track with a 4cylinder car and it costing the same to enter that as it does a major nascar race hmm . i think 10 bucks with lane stickers and track time on the entire day of the race is fair . but more than that on a weekly race is a bit much to ask. I understand that rent must be paid and that its still a biz . but at the end of the day its still a hobby and a luxury item to most alot more things come first .

I give free track time to registered racers and race fees are $6 for Amateur and $10 for Expert. I pay back in race bucks 20% of the entry fees to 1st, 15% for 2nd, 10% to 3rd and 5% for Top Qualifier for both amateur and expert. So 50% payouts.
    As far as what PK says, I agree. Only problem is even though I think payouts in the structure I do is very small, the racers love the opportunity to earn store and offset some of the cost of tires and gears and such. So i'd say it just works well here. Im sure its different everywhere though. I know of places that do no payouts. Ive even heard a racer tell me at one point Lee Gilbert supplied tires with the entry fees for races in Washington. The question is what do you think is fair is very difficult to answer, because it depends on your racers and what they want. Ive even had a couple racers ask for higher entry fees just to increase the payouts.
    My top drivers that are here every week really dont care what the structure is. This is what they do and they will be here every week regardless. So really its what will keep the newer races coming back. ALL the amateur racers find $6 to be a bargain. Although most of them have raced R/C cars in the past and realize the cost of our hobby, specially at the entry level classes, is relatively inexpensive.
    Gp10 Nascar and Falcon LMP you get a car capable of winning in amateur for around $50-$70 and get to race for $6.

Just out of curiosity, what are your entry fees at your local raceway, dhamby?
    Dub
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

wade i like that setup alot . at my current track the race fee is 5 dollars plus the cost of lane stickers the track doesnt charge track time to any local racers . however i will say this our track is small aswell as the building with not much overhead as far as pay out the only thing they do is give out 5 track dollars to the winner and most of the time since its the same to race we just call it even . lane stickers are .30 cent so i guess it would be 5.30 to race ... im cool with 10 bucks if track time and stickers are included but to me any more than that is a bit to much for a weekly race. as far as pay i dont care if there is or not . we are not doing it for payout . if a track does do that its cool to get back a few track bucks to help with parts . id say the average racer spends around 10 to 15 dollars in parts at each race . if the race fee was say 10 to 15 bucks id dare to say most would not spend what they do on parts on a weekly bas. i just like the 5 bucks or 8 buck entry . that way hey i buy tires 10 bucks + race fee 5-8 bucks braid 1 buck = 16 -19 dollars not bad less than 20 bucks . but if you had to spend say 15 or more on a race plus tires and braid and maybe a gear . then well your upwards to 30-35 dollars . per week . its really all a head game . a person will spend alot of money over a weeks time but to spend the same amount at one time is hard to get them to do .. myself ill spend 80 bucks or so a week on slots but to come off of 80 at one time is a little harder same amount but brocken into diff days makes it seem less . lol

The issue is highlighted once again. The hobby is TOO CHEAP to sustain itself. The parts are too cheap, the track time is too cheap and the people who particiapte in it are TOO CHEAP. lol

Manny you forgot that the track help are also stealing everything, sellng and buying on the side and giving bad advice all for free...but is anything ever free?

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    To encourage early entries and more practice time:

If open M-T-W-Th free track time days with 5.00 entry fee per race. If you have three races on a day, make it 13.00 for all three.
    Friday, Saturday and Sunday All day pass is 10.00 if you do not participate in racing. If you race the fee is 8.00 per race including lane stickers. And if you hold three races it is 20.00 for all three races including lane stickers. people do not like to double dipped for racing and track time.

Drag racing is 2.00 per car and 1.00 buy back per car. Special events like Enduros and so forth would be a different pricing scheme.

This might encourage customers (yes they are customers) to come early and stay late. As I read somewhere "An empty slot car track (no customers on the terack) is a closed slot car raceway". Keep customers on the slot car track and they buy parts and bring in customers.... IMHO

Keeping it simple

Manny
    And you know this because you have run a track or owned a track and is or are those tracks now?

EdC, just an observation that's all. From my travels one thing that was crystal clear. None of the people I met EVER wanted to pay for track time. And most of the people complained that their
    local track owners charged too much for parts, track time and entry fees.

It is apparently a sign of the times as Slot Cars fade out once again for the most part into commerical heaven that the people involved all knew what the solutions are to save this hobby from extinction.

I won't blab my feelings about that as no one cares to listen anyway.

That is why I did not invest in a slot car raceway because no one is happy ever. Everyone knows everything. They all complain and offer advice to the owner without seeing the big picture. All they see is parts being sold, track time being sold and racing. They only see the money being made and forget someone has to pay the bills. They forget that someone had to lay down their hard earned bucks to keep the place open. But no one see that......

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    EdC, just an observation that's all. From my travels one thing that was crystal clear. None of the people I met EVER wanted to pay for track time. And most of the people complained that their
    local track owners charged too much for parts, track time and entry fees.

It is apparently a sign of the times as Slot Cars fade out once again for the most part into commerical heaven that the people involved all knew what the solutions are to save this hobby from extinction.

I won't blab my feelings about that as no one cares to listen anyway.

That is why I did not invest in a slot car raceway because no one is happy ever. Everyone knows everything. They all complain and offer advice to the owner without seeing the big picture. All they see is parts being sold, track time being sold and racing. They only see the money being made and forget someone has to pay the bills. They forget that someone had to lay down their hard earned bucks to keep the place open. But no one see that......
    Manny,
    I agree with you lol. Not many racers realize how much overhead is involved in owning a commerical raceway. The overhead is a killer if your raceway is in a high traffic area with good frontage. I have never owned a commerical raceway, but I had a very good friend who did some years ago. Even back then by the time he paid his rent/light bill/heating bills/ect, he had to take money out of his pocket to cover the overhead. Thats not even counting trying to stock a good inventory of parts. Most times we would pre-pay to order our weekly parts just to try and help the poor guy! But as is the history of many raceways, he wound up having to close the doors after a couple years.
    Lord knows, it's not an easy buisness to make a go of, and I take my hat off to the the ones who manage to keep the doors open.
    The way things are right now, alot of guys have to decide to go race or put gas in the car

Vic
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

Vic, IMHO the slot car industry does noit collect enough revenue to make it viable. IF the penetration of the customer base was larger that would not be an issue. As I traveled I saw marginal locations, no street visibility, and no advertising or street talk about the business. And talking to the
    customers at the tracks all they did was bitch. This was too expensive and that was too expensive.

Now supposedly: lets say a slot car raceway operator charged a price in keeping with the actual cost of doing business in 2011, the races would be 25.00 a pop. The track time would be 10.00 for a half hour. And so forth and so on. Before anyone jumps the shark, I said "SUPPOSEDLY". Slot cars is an underfunded business on all fronts. I understand money is tight. And slot cars a niche hobby and business. Heard that excuse before so no need to repeat that lame excuse. And I know reality so don't try the Supply versus demand argument either.

Issues usually come down to Not enough people know about the hobby (or business). The raceways don't do much to bring anyone in to their business. The alleged suppliers and manufacturers do absolutely nada in promoting their own products let alone the industry. It is really sad as slot cars are a great hobby. And no one wants to do anything about it.

That is basically why we did not invest in a raceway. Why should you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast