.

.

View Poll Results: what are you willing to pay for weekly entry fee

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • $5.00 lane stickers extra

    14 28.57%
  • $8.00 dollars includes lane stickers

    7 14.29%
  • $10.00 lane stickers included and practice

    24 48.98%
  • $15.00 lane stickers and practice included

    4 8.16%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: fair price for entry fee for regular weekly race

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Posts
    2,531
    One of the larger costs involved in operating a raceway is the cost of floor space required to house the track itself yet so many racers seem to think that track time should be free? I never understood that. How can a raceway survive using that model. Someone mentioned that slot car racing, as a hobby, is underpriced. I completely agree with that. Somewhere along the line we decided to market this hobby as a "cheap hobby" and what we attracted, in many instances, are cheap people. Folks talk about 10 dollars for an evening of racing including track time, really? What else can you do for 2 to 3 hours and not spend more than $10.00? even 2 hours, say you show up at the raceway at 7 for an 8 o'clock race, you plug in your iron, lights, power supply, run laps on the track all the while using electricity for the lights and to power your stuff, suck up the AC or heat, then run in the race requiring a race director and you expect this for $10? and then you want some of it back in track bucks or even worse, some want it back in cash? Let's get serious folks, it's a business and in order for any business to survive thay have to at least break even if the owner has a love for the hobby and you, if not, it better be showing a profit or all your slot car stuff will make excellent paperweights.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    34
    RomanK, Absolutely true. The cost of the space is too much for most slot car raceways to survive very long as a viable business. Most raceways need at least 3,000 square feet or more. And in even a strip mall that is 4500.00 or more plus utilities let alone insurance and other necessities to run a business.

    So MOST slot car raceways are in "destination oriented" locations with lousy traffic flow, limited parking and in less than desirable locations for the most part.

    Slot cars have not kept up with the times and basicailly did themselves in for the most part. The customer base is typified by the eBay and Craig's list crowd. Undercut the raceway owner, want
    track buxx or cash back for racing, little or a token amount for track time or races. And the owner, manager or counter people have to listen to everyone bitch about how THEY could do it better.
    At TWO raceways where drag racing was going on the biggest issue was they did not get enough in payback. Well ain't that a shame.....

    All I say to them, YOU do it bubba! The market is waiting for you to do it man! I am confident the big talkers and bitchers I ran into this past year will be turning this thread off right about now. See ya later alligator.

    Now track time fees and race entry fees will NOT make or break a raceway. It is the total package from rent, customer base (or lack there of) and many other issues that make it almost impossible for the average JOE RACER to open a slot car Business. So why would anyone with MONEY want to open one with a customer base like this hobby has?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    RomanK, Absolutely true. The cost of the space is too much for most slot car raceways to survive very long as a viable business. Most raceways need at least 3,000 square feet or more. And in even a strip mall that is 4500.00 or more plus utilities let alone insurance and other necessities to run a business.

    One prime need is honest help....of which you know nothing.

    So MOST slot car raceways are in "destination oriented" locations with lousy traffic flow, limited parking and in less than desirable locations for the most part.

    Slot cars have not kept up with the times and basicailly did themselves in for the most part. The customer base is typified by the eBay and Craig's list crowd. Undercut the raceway owner, want
    track buxx or cash back for racing, little or a token amount for track time or races. And the owner, manager or counter people have to listen to everyone bitch about how THEY could do it better.
    At TWO raceways where drag racing was going on the biggest issue was they did not get enough in payback. Well ain't that a shame.....

    You sell daily on eBay so stop pretending you're an honest man.

    All I say to them, YOU do it bubba! The market is waiting for you to do it man! I am confident the big talkers and bitchers I ran into this past year will be turning this thread off right about now. See ya later alligator.

    You are a liar and a thief.......

    Now track time fees and race entry fees will NOT make or break a raceway. It is the total package from rent, customer base (or lack there of) and many other issues that make it almost impossible for the average JOE RACER to open a slot car Business. So why would anyone with MONEY want to open one with a customer base like this hobby has?
    You need therapy as you have adopted yet another personality.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    winston salem nc
    Posts
    333
    The only tracks that seem to survive in our area are the smaller ones with a smaller building and smaller tracks there are 2 whiten an hour from my house that have been in the biz for very long time . but then again they are smaller with smaller bills . and people see they do ok and keep the doors open but yet people still open the doors on huge buildings with big ole kings after seeing many othere places not make it simply because the rent in this economy is very expensive compared to what is brought into the door .. seems like more places would want to open up a smaller track in a smaller building .. lets see if i had the choice of NO track vrs the choice of a little oval /paper clip/ figure 8 . would i adapt and run there hmm i got tons of slot stuff what do yall think. and dont get me wrong i love a big ole king just like anyone else but lets face it with what rent cost and what our hobby generates in sales and profit vrs those cost is a joke .. i really think the days of haveing big nice tracks to race is about over .. most tracks you look up that have been in the biz any longer than say 10 or 15 years is most likely a smaller track and building . not to say there are a few big tracks that have some how made it . so dont come back and say well such and such has a huge building and a big ole king and has made it this and that long . im not saying there isent any . but the majority that have are smaller tracks .. imho
    Drive it like your daddy bought it

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lawn guyland NY
    Posts
    2,302

    Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanK View Post
    One of the larger costs involved in operating a raceway is the cost of floor space required to house the track itself yet so many racers seem to think that track time should be free? I never understood that. How can a raceway survive using that model. Someone mentioned that slot car racing, as a hobby, is underpriced. I completely agree with that. Somewhere along the line we decided to market this hobby as a "cheap hobby" and what we attracted, in many instances, are cheap people. Folks talk about 10 dollars for an evening of racing including track time, really? What else can you do for 2 to 3 hours and not spend more than $10.00? even 2 hours, say you show up at the raceway at 7 for an 8 o'clock race, you plug in your iron, lights, power supply, run laps on the track all the while using electricity for the lights and to power your stuff, suck up the AC or heat, then run in the race requiring a race director and you expect this for $10? and then you want some of it back in track bucks or even worse, some want it back in cash? Let's get serious folks, it's a business and in order for any business to survive thay have to at least break even if the owner has a love for the hobby and you, if not, it better be showing a profit or all your slot car stuff will make excellent paperweights.
    Roman, you always seem to amaze me, how smart and in touch you are. Then I remember you are a Redskin fan and that takes the really smart right out of it!! BTW thanks for the tickets, one of the best games I have ever been too. My sons and I hope to be invited back sometime.

    I think your comment about making this the cheapest hobby rings true. I will not mention any names but at a race not long ago, I had a group of racers complain that I charged for lane stickers, imagine that. I have been fortunate to be host to some of the biggest slot car races in the world and never had anyone complain about having to buy lane stickers before. Just for the record, raceways have to buy the lanes stickers too. The way they sounded was if I was charging them to use the toilet.

    The location I am in now is my least favorite shopping centers, but is one of my favorite stores. Big enough, very nice and cheaper. My old location went up to over $7000.00 a month (you have to sell a lot of womps to cover that nut) Had we stayed in the old location when the economy dumped, that would have been interesting to say the least.

    Everyone today is trying to be more economical and slot car racing is no different. It is the sign of the times. We are in the disposable income business, we are the first to take the hit and the last ones to recover. Hang in there fellow raceway owners better times are coming (or not).
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    4
    I agree with all of you guys. This hobby has been too cheap for years and it breeds cheap customers. Most people do not have a clue what it takes to tun a shop.

    If this is okay, what does it take to run a shop beside a strong stomach and big checkbook? Let's see real life expenses and costs. It might be
    educational.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent rim View Post
    Roman, you always seem to amaze me, how smart and in touch you are. Then I remember you are a Redskin fan and that takes the really smart right out of it!! BTW thanks for the tickets, one of the best games I have ever been too. My sons and I hope to be invited back sometime.

    I think your comment about making this the cheapest hobby rings true. I will not mention any names but at a race not long ago, I had a group of racers complain that I charged for lane stickers, imagine that. I have been fortunate to be host to some of the biggest slot car races in the world and never had anyone complain about having to buy lane stickers before. Just for the record, raceways have to buy the lanes stickers too. The way they sounded was if I was charging them to use the toilet.

    The location I am in now is my least favorite shopping centers, but is one of my favorite stores. Big enough, very nice and cheaper. My old location went up to over $7000.00 a month (you have to sell a lot of womps to cover that nut) Had we stayed in the old location when the economy dumped, that would have been interesting to say the least.

    Everyone today is trying to be more economical and slot car racing is no different. It is the sign of the times. We are in the disposable income business, we are the first to take the hit and the last ones to recover. Hang in there fellow raceway owners better times are coming (or not).
    No question that my "smarts" should be called into question after I invited you to the Giants game.......but we did have a good time, no? It'll be different this year

    Anyway back to slots, that's funny about the stickers, seems some folks expect that stickers, much like floor space and track time grows on trees. I've had racers give me the odd look when I told them stickers aren't free as well. How about this one, one day when I was helpiing Mimi behind the counter I had a guy ask to buy one braid.....not one pair, not one bag, but "one braid" this was a racer no less. said that only one was wore out.....I knew right then and there how Mimi affords her million dollar mansion and all the Mercedes she drives. 8000 square feet of raceway housing one of the nicest king tracks in the country and this putz wants to buy one braid Oh man but before I forget...we got a guy that uses VELCRO on his stickers so he can reuse them....Haven't seen the guy in a while but so help me God, velcro on his lane stickers.
    Last edited by RomanK; 05-23-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    621
    I will not break the rules! Ed I will not make you write this 100 times, because you have a computer and could do it with a click of a mouse. I sent you a pm, please read it.

    You seem very upset with somebody and may have good reason, but this is not the place to air it! Thank you!


    Just ask Stuart.
    Last edited by Bent rim; 05-24-2011 at 07:02 AM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lawn guyland NY
    Posts
    2,302

    The great lane sticker debate

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanK View Post
    No question that my "smarts" should be called into question after I invited you to the Giants game.......but we did have a good time, no? It'll be different this year

    Anyway back to slots, that's funny about the stickers, seems some folks expect that stickers, much like floor space and track time grows on trees. I've had racers give me the odd look when I told them stickers aren't free as well. How about this one, one day when I was helpiing Mimi behind the counter I had a guy ask to buy one braid.....not one pair, not one bag, but "one braid" this was a racer no less. said that only one was wore out.....I knew right then and there how Mimi affords her million dollar mansion and all the Mercedes she drives. 8000 square feet of raceway housing one of the nicest king tracks in the country and this putz wants to buy one braid Oh man but before I forget...we got a guy that uses VELCRO on his stickers so he can reuse them....Haven't seen the guy in a while but so help me God, velcro on his lane stickers.
    Roman, it was not a good time, it was a great time!!! Maybe one of the best!!! Awesome BBQ in the parking lot, a great game, followed by more BBQ, followed by me, my sons and your brother picking on you and JD after the game! Almost better then winning the nats!!!

    If somebody asked me to buy 1 braid, I would sell it to him $5.00 sounds fair. After all a 10 pair pack is more then a 30 pair pack and the 30 pack is more then a 100 pair pack, it would be funny. If he complains just say do you know what a tuneup costs on a Mercedes.

    Not sure what to do with the velcro guy, I guess if it caught on, I would start selling velcro. At least I would'nt have to spend the first hour of my day cleaning off lane stickers off the side of the tracks, carpet, infields, walls and even the side of the toilet.
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    621
    I will not break the rules!....
    only 99 more to go!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    241
    Reading over these 5 years after the fact. I wonder how many kept the price structure outlined above. How many tracks flourished and which tracks are gone.
    Anyone with a 5 year assessment of the above policies?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    grove city ohio
    Posts
    201
    Guys:
    We had the same problem in Bristolville, when we hosted a few big scale races, racers from a certain region of the country expected lane stickers included with entry fees. Their logic was, that is how we do it, so you should as well. Needless to say, Leroy did not agree with their logic. One racer was caught behind the counter opening a pack of lane stickers to pass them out. They were told that if this happened again, they would all be asked to leave. The nerve of some people!

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by RonFX View Post
    Guys:
    We had the same problem in Bristolville, when we hosted a few big scale races, racers from a certain region of the country expected lane stickers included with entry fees. Their logic was, that is how we do it, so you should as well. Needless to say, Leroy did not agree with their logic. One racer was caught behind the counter opening a pack of lane stickers to pass them out. They were told that if this happened again, they would all be asked to leave. The nerve of some people!
    I have noticed that of all the money spent and money wasted.....lane stickers are a big deal. I don't know why but we have tension over lane stickers as well.

    If someone is behind the counter messing around in your stock especially with a purpose of stealing or distributing then they should be invited to leave immediately.

    I'm sorry to hear you had this issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lawn guyland NY
    Posts
    2,302

    Leroy is a better man than me

    Come behind my counter and take anything and watch what happens. I will be happy to explain it to you at the Emergency room. I had an Retro racer complain that I charged for lane stickers, I told him I would let him have a sheet for free if he stayed after the race to pick up all the stickers in the raceway. On the infield, the floor, walls of the track, under the tables and side of the toilet. He insisted on paying. Go figure.
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    247
    Lane Stickers??? Come on... I have raced at a number of raceways that give them out at races and a number that don't. Makes no difference to me. They are $2-$3 for 10, what's the big deal?? Raceway needs to make money or guess what, no raceway!
    Last edited by GT1; 02-17-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling


    Bernie Schatz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •