Thread: Comm question

Comm question

I have a group 7 armature that has had the comm cut on a lathe 4 times and I think that last time might have been the last time it can get cut and I was wondering if you can replace comms on arms and if so does anyone know where I could send it to to get that done

can you measure your comm ? what size is it right now .. usually you get more than 4 cuts out of a arm .. did you cut it yourself or did you send it out

there are people who would put a new comm on your arm but im not sure what it would cost and maybe would be better to just get a new arm

The commutator cannot be replaced on an armature.
    Last edited by Michael; 08-23-2012 at 09:01 PM.

no

IT CANNOT BE DONE!! If you wanna argue that statement, take it to PM or find me another armature maker that says they can. Skip the speculation: there would need to be slack in the wires that just isn't there.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

i GUess i am wrong about a new comm being put on even though i thought i have heard of this before .. i learned my lesson from the all mighty ^^^^^^^^

sooooo? it cant be done?

No it cant be done, without rewinding the arm. Rewinding arms is another pain on top of trying to replace the comm. I would suggest getting a new arm and either doing the comm cutting yourself or specify you only want light passes on the comm, so you can get as much life out of it as you can.
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?