Page 1 of 17 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New NATS format

New NATS format

Based upon the number of entries and results at the 2011 NATS, I'd like to see a new format
    that lasts only 4 days.

Day 1......Amatuer Gr.12 (Gr.7 and OMO racers cannot enter)
    Day 2.....27 Lite (no driver restrictions)
    Day 3.....OMO (Amateur Gr.12 racers cannot enter)
    Day 4.....Gr.7 (Amateur Gr.12 racers cannot enter)

Prior to these 4 race days, the host track can hold any races that he wants, but they
    are not an official part of the NATS.
    Last edited by GaryG; 08-17-2011 at 08:50 PM.

I like it. How about Group F the first day with spray glue for Group F, G12 and 27 Lite?

Grp F could be a raceway option.

How about making Grp 12 a 2 motor spray glue race like 27L?

I'd like to see the Spec 15 class be part of Day one. it provides a entry level class for begginers to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinnb View Post
    I'd like to see the Spec 15 class be part of Day one. it provides a entry level class for begginers to start with.
    Should the NATS be for beginners? I think beginners should be racing at the local level. The NATS should
    be the one U.S. race held each year where the top racers from each region of the country and around the world
    get together to see who's really the best.
    Last edited by GaryG; 08-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.

I like it but in order to get enough to support it you need to add 15A and C12 they are regional classes but do have a lot of supporters, their attendance in any one year is a function of whether its a popular class in the region the Nats is being held. Run them as combined mains, spray glue and limit the number of motors and attendance will increase. You could even run them on the same day and only add one day to the schedule.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

These classes could be run by the host raceway before the NATS begins. I think the only NATS
    classes that should be run are classes that are well supported every year. If a certain class is
    popular in one region but not the others, that's a good reason that it should NOT be part of the NATS.
    Remember, this is a national event, not a regional one!
    Last edited by GaryG; 08-15-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Plus drawing conclusions from attendance in the middle of one of the worst economic recessions since the depression can lead to erroneous decisions. I do think we need some changes but we need to be careful about throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

The trends in NATS participation have been showing a steady decline over the years.
    I don't think the economy has nearly as much to do with the problem as the increased
    costs of racing. Doesn't the number of entrants in the less expensive classes prove that?

The USRA "National" event for Division One.

"Should the NATS be for beginners? I think beginners should be racing at the local level. The NATS should
    be the one U.S. race held each year where the top racers from each region of the country and around the world
    get together to see who's really the best."

Very well said Gary. If a regional beginner has the cahones and the dough then he/she should enter any class other than G-7 at this event.
    Work harder. Millions on welfare depend on you!

What makes OMO and 27l good classes are the all main format. This requires less equipment to compete. Maybe all classes should be run in this format.

I think Gr.7 Pro should be left alone, but maybe an all main format might work for Gr.12.

My take on the nats is to leave it the way it is as i saw many racers gome and go this year at chicks and eliminating classes isnt the best way to grow the hobby, every day that the nats were being run the racers raced the classes they wanted to and tested for the others shortening the schedule would just take money out of the host raceways pocket and make it a even smaller turnout imo. I agree there are too many classes and some classes shouldnt be divided into am and pro but shortening the time I dont think is the answer the numbers were up this year and not just in 27 lite and omo, maybe spray glue in the lower classes and all main formats in the lower classes but the higher classes need to be left alone to let us glue crazed multi magnet building racers see what we can actually do against the best of the best. we need the entry level stuff to get people into wing racing otherwise who will keep the tradition going in the higher classes if we eliminate anything then were not going to do ourselfs any good other than race against the same people with most likely the same outcome (8 times)lol.
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

The NATS should be the model for regional racing in the USA. But there is no way that regional racing can have all of
    these classes and driver classifications. Why not go back to a simpler way where the regional racing prepares
    racers to compete at the NATS? Regions can still experiment with new ideas that may be adopted nationally.
    Didn't SoCal come up with OMO and hasn't the East Coast experimented with restricting the Gr.12 class? And I believe
    our largest NATS class, Gr.27 lite came from the Brasilians. Simplifying the NATS format (and also regional
    racing formats) could lead to increased participation at the regional level which would positively impact the NATS. Currently,
    I don't think the NATS and Regional racing are complimenting eachother.

I have no dog in this fight but I'm a racer with 50 years in this game and I'm concerned about falling entries. For those unwilling to change, go start a Dinosaur Nats and have a good time until you're all gone.
    Last edited by MacMoose; 08-15-2011 at 07:35 PM.