Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What voltage is your favorite?

What voltage is your favorite?

Lee,

If you were to set up a Eurosport track today what voltage would you run it on?

12.55v

Click on the link in my signature
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Having a favorite has little bearing if you expect to host a race under rules that specify exactly WHAT those track conditions must be. World ISRA rules are very specific.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

We are not looking to host a touring series race. There are no active touring series in our area. We only put up a Eurosport track because a couple of locals like that kind of car. Maybe we can get a race going once in a while next year.

Quote Originally Posted by pchpartsexpress View Post
    we are not looking to host a touring series race. There are no active touring series in our area. We only put up a eurosport track because a couple of locals like that kind of car. Maybe we can get a race going once in a while next year.
    ****that sounds awesome scott....am in..... Good track voltage 12.6 to 13.8 volts...hopefully lee will chime in on this question soon.....!
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

Can we see some pics of your new track? Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyYart View Post
    Can we see some pics of your new track? Hillbilly

http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...742#post302742
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

When Lee's old MTT was up here in Lynnwood, (before it went to NZ I think), and Mike Stahl was running it I believe it was at 13.6V.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

No - the MTT didn't come down here
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Picture of Eurosport track

Pic of track at PCH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011..jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	12172  

Nice track!

I'm getting a bit of Deja Vu - as I'm sure I've seen pictures of that track before... (probably in the "tracks for sale" forum?)

It looks like it would be a very short & quick track - maybe even too quick for Eurosports! But an excellent flat track for everything from rental cars, Womps, 1/32 flexi & euro type cars, and all flexi scale car racing. GT-12's & 1/24 Euro would be too fast for my aging reflexes! LOL

While 13.6 is probably considered the "normal" setting for Rivergate type power supplies... I would consider using a lower power adjustable power supply for normal rental cars, birthday parties, kid races, 1/32's, and slower classes or beginner races.

Pyramid has some good ones, available pretty cheap on Amazon:

Pyramid PS26KX 22 Amp Power Supply

For the rentals, kids races, parties, etc.... the adjustable power is nice to have. I used one at Raceway USA. For birthday parties... my "rule of thumb" was 1 volt per year of age of the kids. (Although I think the minimum voltage to get the cars moving was about 9) I would use 9 volts for 9 year olds, 10 for ten year olds, etc., on up to 12 volts for 12 years or over.

Leave this one hooked up for regular daily use, and switch to the Rivergate type big supplies for race events needing more power. Get in touch with Raymond "Slapshot" Batchelor if you need technical advice on power supplies - he might even be able to build or sell you something that would handle race power.

Paul K @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-21-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    No - the MTT didn't come down here
    The Speedshop / Eurosport Club MTT is now in Denmark.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

We have a standard raceway type power supply hooked up to the roadcourse with a Tilt-N-Tech device. This way we can dial in the voltage as needed.

trigilio from NH?

Is that track the trigilio from Need for Speed that was in NH? If so then adjustable voltage is a good idea. And that track is awesome! Euros and g12 were in the 2.0 second range per lap.

Your locals should invest in some chokes before running any fast stuff on there. And you will probably see some failed controllers if running c-can stuff on low end trollers. You are almost never full punch on that track and trollers are known to overheat in those conditions.

In my opinion I find most flat tracks overpowered. If you want good racing too much power is not what you want. We had our best racing in the Pacific Northwest on tracks with no more than 12.5 volts or less. Of course you have to build the right motor for lower power but that's the case no matter what power you are using.

Power is determined by a number of factors. Of course voltage but also amps, wiring and braid condition also make up your total power. Today racers want to go fast but spend little attention on good clean racing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast