Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: axle bushing help please

"Quality suppliers would include Starrett, Meyer, Deltronic, and Vermont Gage. All of these companies offer high quality, traceable gages that you can count on.
    Toolmakers, injection mold makers, and precision aerospace machinists use pin gages regularly. They are an indispensable precision measurement tool."

I found them on the Mcmaster-Carr website. Places such as Enco, Amazon, & MSC Industrial Supply carry them too. Any good machinist supply or industrial supply company should have them.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Uke,

I do not heat the bearing up again. I use Lacquer thinner and then spin the axle and old tire by hand to clean out the bearing.

I have found by putting a little naptha on the axle and letting it run inside the bushing/oilite after I apply the acid taking care not to mix the naptha and acid and then soldering the bushing in they seem to self align. That is as long as the bushings are not binding on the chassis itself. They must float freely in the uprights to use this procedure. It has to be done quickly as the naptha boils away pretty fast. Of course follow the normal jigging procedure described by Lee.
    I know, it sounds weird but it works for me.
    How Sweet It Is!!!!!

Toledo Tool Supply on Airport Highway has them. Also invest in a 3/32" ream for final cleanout and perfection. Be sure to ream both directions.
    The Older I Get, the Faster I Was...

Quote Originally Posted by Slidergreg View Post
    I have found by putting a little naptha on the axle and letting it run inside the bushing/oilite after I apply the acid taking care not to mix the naptha and acid and then soldering the bushing in they seem to self align. That is as long as the bushings are not binding on the chassis itself. They must float freely in the uprights to use this procedure. It has to be done quickly as the naptha boils away pretty fast. Of course follow the normal jigging procedure described by Lee.
    I know, it sounds weird but it works for me.
    They call it bearing solder for a reason.
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

Here's a private tip taught to me by Carlos Alosie from ACE products.
    Put bearings or bushings in the uprights.
    Slid the axle in the bushings through a rubber band between the uprights.
    Stretch the rubber band around the front of the chassis so it is taught.
    Solder in the bearings or bushings a small section at a time so as not to heat them too much. (heat will warp them)
    Flush them with acid flux then wash them with hot water and dish soap.
    Blow them out and oil them with a thin synthetic oil.
    Let me know if you are amazed at how well and simple this is. Carlos was well ahead of his time.
    Skidmarks
    230 S. Averill
    Flint, Mi 48506

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Jim, I learned that trick from a young racer in the old Tri state series, Chris somebody, skinny fellow? anybody help me here. Anyway, this was many moons ago and by the way, it always worked great so long as the pillow block holes are close to being right height.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Roman,
    His name was Chris Patrella.
    You taught me the same trick back in the 2003 era and I have never done it any other way since.
    My reamers are now lost.
    Thanks
    Ron
    Work harder. Millions on welfare depend on you!

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    yeah that's the Cris, thanks Ron. Glad I was able to show ya something that works, years ago.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12