Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Shunt or NOT To Shunt....

When I was racing Am Group 12, my son raced Pro Group12. We made all the motors unshunted so we could both use the motors. There were several races were he TQ'ed the class in Pro and I was 1 or 2 in AM 12. Shunts don't really do much until you start to get higher amp draw than a 12. They won't hurt anything either..........................................
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

Hey Monty !

Where ya at ? What's your advise here ?

From all the top motor builders I have talked with it simply reduces heat to the springs and allows better current flow. Reduces wear on springs, brushes and comm for any class motor.

There seems to be a couple of different thoughts going here so I for one would like to hear your take on this.

BTW, how are you feeling these days ?
    Alan Ingram

Crap! The inmates took over the asylum again! Sorry Monty!!!
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

yes, but he cheats, don't know how but no mere mortal should be that fast with a flexi chassis

ONCE AGAIN, I'm FORCED to ask WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY doesn't ANYONE offer DECENT QUALITY brushes with the shuntwire BUILT INTO IT.....LIKE THEY USSSSSSSED TO???????????????????????????????????????????? HELLLLOOOOOOOOO Proslot? PARMA??? KOFORD??????? CAMEN???????

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Maybe because it's very easy to do it yourself? Have someone show you if you're struggling with it. After you've done a couple you'll see it's easy and quick.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

OMG!

Here I've been reading this thread and occasionally giggling, and didn't realize it was my forum! My apologies to all.

YES! ALWAYS SHUNT ANYTHING LEGAL TO SHUNT!!! Not only is the shunt a failsafe for springs (and mild winds DO draw enough current to fry a spring if the car gets stalled against a marshall's hand or debris in the gears, like a body getting sucked in), it is a heatsink, a vibration dampener, a positive contact as opposed to the inner surface of the hood - which is isolated by brush vibrations. Its cheap, easy to do with a bit of practice, and definitely extends motor life if not speed. On the other hand, a motor still running is a lot faster than the one you're in the pits changing.

Stevie, I recall molded in shunts, but never did like the compound that was used. It should be possible tho...

Alan, I'm feeling a bit better today, but its obvious that the recovery period will be extended. At this time, its more of a mobility issue.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

make your own tennisshoes, it's "quik & EZ"

A Lot of people make their own rear tires, & I'm sure thats "quik & EZ"....but MeSsY) but I'm STILL glad for & PREFER pre-mades......So I WISH someone would do the same for PRE-shunted motor brushes... for that matter, I SUPPOSE making your own UNDERWEAR would be "quik & EZ", Build your own desktop computer, it's "quik & EZ", Build your own Semi-truck & Trailer, WTH, it's "quik & EZ".........But I STILL am glad someone makes these items "ready-made"...... Not to mention that there's NO WAY that there can be as efficient of current transfer from a wire thats pushed against the end of a brush as a wire thats MOLDED INTO the same said motor brush, I've used preshunted brushes back in the day when they were readily available, & there's NO comparison.....on a battery cable on a full-sized car, are the OE batt.cable ends better, or are those "chop&clamp" 99cent battery cable ends better? well, DUH! thats because the OE cable ends are.....(you guessed it!) MOLDED ONTO THE END of the Battery cable......basically, you guys missed my point alltogether...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D. View Post
    A Lot of people make their own rear tires, & I'm sure thats "quik & EZ"....but MeSsY) but I'm STILL glad for & PREFER pre-mades......So I WISH someone would do the same for PRE-shunted motor brushes... for that matter, I SUPPOSE making your own UNDERWEAR would be "quik & EZ", Build your own desktop computer, it's "quik & EZ", Build your own Semi-truck & Trailer, WTH, it's "quik & EZ".........But I STILL am glad someone makes these items "ready-made"...... Not to mention that there's NO WAY that there can be as efficient of current transfer from a wire thats pushed against the end of a brush as a wire thats MOLDED INTO the same said motor brush, I've used preshunted brushes back in the day when they were readily available, & there's NO comparison.....on a battery cable on a full-sized car, are the OE batt.cable ends better, or are those "chop&clamp" 99cent battery cable ends better? well, DUH! thats because the OE cable ends are.....(you guessed it!) MOLDED ONTO THE END of the Battery cable......basically, you guys missed my point alltogether...
    There are 2 sides to your argument here, easy or better. Pre shunted would be slightly better than the shunt against the groove, no question. For simple though I have to go with regular brushes. once you shunt a motor, the shunts can stay for several brush/arm changes and is very quick and easy to do. For me the hardest part of shunting is getting the wind on the buss bar just the way I want it and soldering it in place. Once it's done though, it is good for along time, unless you do an abnormal amount of soldering lead wires onto the motor.
    Alan Ingram

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Hey Stevie D. none of the things you mentioned are as easy as shunting a motor brush. As far as better? if there were any substantial difference, I suspect we'd see them offered. If you have one left over from the old days, send it to me, I have the equipment available to me to prove or disprove "better" If your skilled enough to route the wires from a "pre shunted" brush, you can shunt your own, it really is easy.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Monty!!

Nice to hear from you! Hope all is well and you feel better shortly!

So I guess shunting it will be......where legal in USRA.

All you others please continue your tirad of what to do and to whom..... I have some new shunt wire waiting.

Stevie,

I agree with you man, ease up on the rant. The problem is that nobody ever made a GOOD molded shunt brush for slot racing. The ones I recall were marketed by Champion: The shunt was half the thickness it should have been, wasn't tinned wire, but most important - the brush compound was simply not as good as the original Mabuchi 'pullouts' that all the fast crowd used.

At Revtech ( a partial sponsor of mine for several years), Neal McCurdy would drill a small hole in a Mabuchi brush, then pack some of the ultrafine wire he used into the hole, forming an almost molded in assembly. The wire, not a hobby product, was something he obtained at his day job at Panavision.

So yes, IF ProSlot could have a decent wire molded into Gold Dust brushes, I would use them. It would save an awesome 6 minutes, most of which is used to carve the deeper grooves in the brush with the current procedure. Your hands would stay cleaner, too!
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

ok.. I can see I can't do this one handed while I have this cast on.... I tried and it was a mess with things flying about.

for now I will have to be patient and find something else to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12