Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wing car body building 101

Wing car body building 101

For those interested in furthering their ability to work on their own cars, I thought it would help our racers by showing them how I build up & mount a wing car body. I'll be building a body up for my OMO but use the same concept for both GP-12 & 27L so bring which ever car you want & I'll go through the steps with you. I'm scheduling this for Sat. the 19th at 11:00 am. Please respond so I know there is any interest. Thanks, Bob

Sounds great Bob!

For those who are too far to make it to PSCR in Edgewood WA, on Nov 19th, I hope that someone can take pics or even a video of your "body building 101" clinic to post online - here on OWH or post a link - so that many others can watch & learn some tips as well!

Paul K
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Great idea- I like looking at pictures better than reading!

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticBob View Post
    For those interested in furthering their ability to work on their own cars, I thought it would help our racers by showing them how I build up & mount a wing car body. I'll be building a body up for my OMO but use the same concept for both GP-12 & 27L so bring which ever car you want & I'll go through the steps with you. I'm scheduling this for Sat. the 19th at 11:00 am. Please respond so I know there is any interest. Thanks, Bob
    Great news Bob! This has been one big stumbling block for me to get back into aircars. If I can learn the bodies, I want to get a few cars going and try to make next year's Wade. If you could have somebody take good photos on the 19th and post them on this thread, I think you'd get a lot of interest. Unfortunately I cannot make it in person...but if I was closer I'd be there!

Just in case Bob's lesson isn't photographed, a great photographic step by step description of winging bodies is the classic Larry Blanton article. It's better to see it live but if you can't this is a close second.

http://www.larryblanton.com/WingKitTech.aspx
    MON THE BIFF !!!

All you wing car racers out there better take this opportunity to down load these picks off of Larry Blanton's website for future reference. I did and now it is my bible for winging cars...
    Last edited by wjdougherty; 11-01-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Bob i would be happy to help you with picture taking or even video if you need some assistance let me know I can do a movie maker video or straight HD video
    Roy(English Drag Guy LOL)

Wish I could make it there for this. To far for me though... I hope some good video and/ or pictures and explanations are taken and posted though!
    Kyle Hoff

I would like to attend this class. I will attempt to keep my schedule clear for this date.
    Eli Pile

...probably the only guy you know who's name is a palindrome

I am planing on attending this class if enough intrest is there. Looking forward to this! hopefully see ya on the 19th.

Will all the necessary items (wing kits, tape, whatever else) be plentiful and available in the shop?

Are any special tools needed that aren't necessarily slot car related (rulers/straight edge, cutting utensils, etc)?
    Eli Pile

OK all, thanks for the interest so far & still on schedule for the 19th. Here is a list of items needed to get things started,
    TOOLS- Good pair of scissors, X-Acto knife, Sharpie, 6" rule, hole punch, cutting mat & spoiler bender.
    TAPE- I use 3M 898, 3M double stick & clear packaging tape.
    Larry Blanton's site mentioned above has good pics of all the items I use. Most of these items will be available at the track & also at your local craft store.
    Great idea on pics. Roy, would be glad to have you down at the shop for pics or video, seems like alot of interest from racers too far to come.
    Any questions just ask, always glad to help. Hope to see you all soon!
    Bob

Hey Jim,

Do you have an unpainted Y2K Vette body and an unpainted Alpha body similar to the one pictured below in the shop? I should be in this coming weekend and would like to pick them up and get them painted in time for the class.

Thanks,
    Elisha

Eli Pile

Both my dad Jim Bowes and I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticBob View Post
    OK all, thanks for the interest so far & still on schedule for the 19th. Here is a list of items needed to get things started,
    TOOLS- Good pair of scissors, X-Acto knife, Sharpie, 6" rule, hole punch, cutting mat & spoiler bender.
    TAPE- I use 3M 898, 3M double stick & clear packaging tape.
    Larry Blanton's site mentioned above has good pics of all the items I use. Most of these items will be available at the track & also at your local craft store.
    Great idea on pics. Roy, would be glad to have you down at the shop for pics or video, seems like alot of interest from racers too far to come.
    Any questions just ask, always glad to help. Hope to see you all soon!
    Bob
    Bob
    can you call me or contact me before this so we can discuss how you want to record the "Teach in"
    i will be at the track this weekend Saturday or you can call me 206-722-6682
    Roy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast