Thread: Barbershops and Pitspace at S.C.R.R.A!

P.S. the amazing parts is... that so many of us geeks/dorks/whatever... who are into this "weird" hobby...
    have somehow managed to find women who actually put up with us!

(and not to forget... so many fellow geek friends who we enjoy sharing this weird hobby with!)

To many people - it is "just a hobby". But to many of us - it is so much more.

Even though some of us may differ on opinions from time to time - one thing we DO share is our passion for the hobby.

THAT... is something I find much more prevalent in the sense of community created on forums, then you will find on FB.

PK
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Absolutely agree with that, Paul.

To me, Facebook is for those with short attention spans... LOL!

Do I have to be a Moderator to be a dork???

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Do I have to be a Moderator to be a dork???
    I think you & Nesta can be on the BOD of Slot Car Anonymous Dorks Society! (SCADS)

If you race slot cars... you are probably a geek.

If you race slot cars and post on and/or read slot car forums... then you just may be a dork.

Paul K
    (thinks Mork from Ork was a bit of a Dork)
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Quote Originally Posted by brassy View Post
    Absolutely agree with that, Paul.

To me, Facebook is for those with short attention spans... LOL!
    Huh? Oh... sorry... I was looking at pics of kitties, puppies, & hot chicks...
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    Paul you are killing me, of course we are geeks.

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

Geeks only old video from BPR, I sure wish they still had the Hillclimb there.

You don't want to miss this one, Pete Zimmerman race great job on this clip.

Warning only for Dorks.

Nesta

Race coming up on Saturday and we need a laugh.

Nesta

Well I ran into Felix and I told him about the Rez, he asked me what is that?
    Then I thought to me self what is the Rez, well if you are native you know what that is, that is a place
    where they put you when they don't want to deal with ya.
    Either way I got promised to get my own little Rez on one of the medias where I can set up my little antenna.
    I hope this is not like the usual US treaties that got broken?
    More on this later, got to go and work on the race report
    The Rez reporter.

Nesta
    Last edited by 68Deville; 06-25-2012 at 09:03 PM.

This Indian will never give up even when it looks like that.

Rez reporter is checking out.

Nesta

Well I got told that Cukras is getting bad mouthed on FB? Closed FB tread, man up guys don't be chicken's?
    At least I do say it in public and not behind closed doors, and I do pay the price for it.
    Any information about that will bring you some $$$.

Nesta

Geographically Brooklyn, politically Berkeley
    #1: Nesta, you're "posting about The Others" again! You've got your own World now, where you can do that, & you don't need to excite Mom here!

#2: "Bad Mouthing" is just an excuse for street bravado. "Hey, you can't say that about MY bro!" In this case, you're getting all inflammatory over hearsay, not even first-hand knowledge. A real "man up" would be for you to get a direct quote and evaluate it yourself, instead of this stuff.

#3: Fact is, anybody CAN, and might, say anything about your Bro, or mine, or the cat on the landing. You and I and everybody who posts anywhere is conversing: proposing, discussing, questioning, arguing, grumbling, dismissing, complaining, carping. "Bad Mouthing" - that's a term somebody lays on someone else's mouth, never their own. Fact.

Truth is, nobody is responsible for how others may read them. Harder truth, nobody CAN be. Impossible.

You can only be responsible for yourself.

Duffy my friend, I'm glad that you got that Mod job.
    Is it you or is it you meds? Call me if you don't get it?

Nesta

Quite frankly......I enjoy and appreciate Nesta's race reports and pictures......on the other hand.....I have “Rezervations" about most of the other stuff.......

Duff......liked your post
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Geographically Brooklyn, politically Berkeley
    Listen, it's never just one way, with a friend.You like someone for certain things, & there's also that one thing he does that you just can't take. But he's your friend.
    Everybody's got some degree of that.
    A lot of guys who know Nesta - I'm one of them, tho' I only "know" the phone version - will say he's a great guy; dedicated, good-natured, enthusiastic. & these guys will often say, "He's not like his public image..."
    Well, - no. Not like, maybe but that's part of it. Like all the rest of us.

Here's my version of this "public image" thing:
    There's a famously-abrasive guy out here, who regularly razzes me for too much posting and not enough practicing. And he's RIGHT. Never mind the fact that my life allows me only so much track time & I gotta do something in my copious home time...he's right, and I've told him so, and I am doing my best to change that, workng hard as I can on my driving and prep. And this bristly guy has acknowledged that, in his way: he's still hard as ever on me, and still rightly so, but there is always a moment when the wall comes down just a bit: a moment of recognition that I'm doing a little bit right, too.
    Friends do that.

Now, we're here in public, and we often come out with opinions and positions that get guys upset or frustrated or just puzzled. Our friend Nesta - "dedicated, good-natured, enthusiastic" - also has a clear sense of right & wrong that he believes in, which is good; but he often writes it out in such mysterious terms that nobody gets it, which is - frustrating.
    So, I tell my friend:

"Jeez Lu-Weez, Nesta! Talk about "man up"...here's your big chance! You got something to say, just be direct, or else don't say it. 'My barber says...' that's either a way to not take responsibility for your words, or else to claim you have info we don't and are somehow cooler than we are. Either way, frustrating.
    "At the same time, when I tell you-my-friend that you can do better, like I did in my post up there, don't go hiding behind some cryptic phrase nobody can understand. 'Glad you got that Mod job' - ? What the heck's that mean?
    "And, worse: 'Is it you or is it you[r] meds?' - now, that was just a nasty slap. You may joke about my present addled condition, but deliberately using it as a tool to dismiss and diminish me - that's just poor behavior toward someone you sometimes call a friend.
    "AND another thing:
    "This 'Rez' thing is getting tired, real fast. THIS 1/4-Mexican (and half of that very likely Aztec) guy questions your Eastern-European right to co-opt that term, just because you liked it in a movie. Now, on the other hand - you'd get a big smile from me if you started dispatching your race reports 'from the Steppes'...
    "So, be direct, and be straight with me. I like you straight and direct."

That's what I say to my friend.
    Duffy