Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 usra gt12

2012 usra gt12

OK Lee,

I know you are working hard looking for the winning combination for GT12 for next years USRA Nats in Rohnert Park.

With that in mind I have a couple of questions

Which chassis do you think will work the best on the Testarossa with the lower down force bodies we are limited to ?

Will it need to have plenty of flex and movement or will a tighter set up be the ticket ?

What about rear steer ?

When are you testing the rest of the JK bodies and/or what are your results ?

Do you think the .540 arm will be a better choice or will it be the .518 ?

I know you are going to be extra busy this year building and preparing cars for the Nats so my next question is....

How much lead time will you need to supply someone with Speedshop cars for the Nats ?
    Alan Ingram

Alan,

Pro GT 12 will be quite a problem this Nats. GT 12s have never been good race cars sense USRA moved to the low down force body. Now that we are limited to lesser bodies than the RF R10 they will be nightmares to tune.

In the past the Mack Bulldog has been the chassis if choice. With the new bodies we will have to try both flex and stiffer chassis. If stiff works the PMP chassis could be good. George and his crew have the advantage on us because they can test on the Nats track.

As far as future bodies go I will test the two bodies that George thinks are the best after he makes a decision. In the past on my MTT the JK BMW was always a littler better than the Audi.

I have never thought "rear steer" made any sense. When I have tested a car with and without rear steer the results have been much the same. Just another slot car myth.

In Seattle I use 513 or 518 arms. Frank's Nats track may be better with a lower gear ratio and the larger diameter arm. They are very smooth with a 7t pinion and Frank's track is fast with not too many places where you have to slow all that much.

Because USRA has screwed the bodies up which make the cars run like crap I will not be racing in GT 12. I will be working on GT 12 cars for my customers.

The sooner you get your Nats order in the better.
    Last edited by Speedshop; 11-16-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Lee,

You know that I always appreciate your comments and feed back

Without wanting to create a hornet's nest, can you please explain to this ignorant Kiwi why the USRA has "screwed" the body choice for GT12? I don't understand your comment

In New Zealand we run G12 Eurosport cars (I assume that we are talking the same thing here) on our flat track and we tend to follow the USA model.

What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages of running HD bodies versus LD bodies?

Ron
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Zippity,

There are only a couple of good choices in low down force bodies. When you take a marginal chassis (meaning price restricted) and add the boat anchor C Can motor the body becomes very important. The long Red Fox R 10 is the best low down force body available and has been used in USRA for a few years. For some reason USRA has changed it's body restriction, without a racer vote I am sure, and now the legal bodies are not as good as the Red Fox R 10. This makes for a marginal handling car that is much harder to drive and tune.

I don't know about you but I view slot car racing as a hobby for most people and having fun is the most important thing. USRA, by using parts that are not the best for handing, has changed GT 12 into a class for drivers and tuners and not for the fun of driving a good handling slot car.

If I had my way GT 12 would allow strap 12 motors, with the Red Fox long R 10 body and no chassis price limit and you would have a car that handles more like a Eurosport and there is no class more fun to race the 1/24 Eurosport.

In my opinion USRA has done nothing to promote slot car racing and most scale organizations in the USA do not use USRA rules. This should tell you something about how "screwed" USRA rules are.

Thanks Lee.

I appreciate your open and honest feedback

TC

Ron
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

my PMP has worked best with the Red Fox Peugeot RFSC42C, but that was last years body, I have the new one and it looks like the rear spoiler is laid down more and that is all.
    For the chassis I'm using .039" without rear steer.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedshop View Post
    Zippity,

If I had my way GT 12 would allow strap 12 motors, with the Red Fox long R 10 body and no chassis price limit and you would have a car that handles more like a Eurosport and there is no class more fun to race the 1/24 Eurosport.

In my opinion USRA has done nothing to promote slot car racing and most scale organizations in the USA do not use USRA rules. This should tell you something about how "screwed" USRA rules are.
    Man, I would love to run GT12's with Strap motors! That would be awesome! I remember running straps in the C1 class at SHS and we had great handling cars.

So Lee, have you got your Rule proposals ready for the USRA vote this year?
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    my PMP has worked best with the Red Fox Peugeot RFSC42C, but that was last years body, I have the new one and it looks like the rear spoiler is laid down more and that is all.
    For the chassis I'm using .039" without rear steer.
    Ed,
    I will be testing the bodies that are legal on the PMP before Nats. Hopefully I discover some helpful info. Ill keep you updated. Otherwise it looks like Lee, George and Gary are getting some good test info out.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

If you were racing these cars on a King track, what chassis would you use?
    Transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Dub,
    I've since tried .047 wire no steeer and the RF RFSC40C and RFSC33C....the 33 is the fastest but it's not on the list.....too bad!

I think I would use the Mack Tazer on a King track as I think it is going to be a stronger chassis than the Mack Bulldog derivatives. Usually the BD's handle just slightly better than the Tazer but on the King I don't think this is going to make as much difference.
    Gary Johnson

I use a Saunders chassis on our Gerding King. It is the best chassis through the donut that I have ever seen... Also, on a King track you are most likely going to use a GTP body if your rules allow for it...

Thanks for the replies.

GTP bodies are not an option.
    Transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hmm... The Saunders car is always a great handling car. I just don't like the way the pans are held on the front. One wall shot and the car can parallelogram on you and the pan holders can pop out of the holders on the front. Only way to fix it is to get the soldering iron out. I actually sold my Saunders car for this very reason. On a King, this is a likely scenario IMHO. Not quite so much on a flat track!

For a similar reason, I would choose the Tazer over the Bulldogs. The Tazer is a torsion style of chassis where as the bulldogs can also have issues with the pan hardware being broken with the high speeds on a King. Another good chassis to consider on the King is one of Slick 7's ASP derivatives. They are all torsion style chassis and would be bullet proof on the King while still handling well.

If you do choose the Bulldog. I would go with the BD3 as it has a much stronger pan mount system in the font.
    Gary Johnson

What do you think of the Mack Stinger for a king track chassis??? Layout and flex is quite similar to the Asp....
    I ran the Slick 7 GTX in Am GT12 last year at the Nats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast