Thread: Suggestions, anyone?

Suggestions, anyone?

I've been doing slotcars for about a year now and all together I've spent about $2000 dollars on them and recently I've been getting bored with it my favorite racing was wing cars but my local track shut that program down, I've tried other types of racing but they just don't do it for me, any suggestions on things I can do to peak my interest again?

To answer your question, we need more information. Usually wing car racers love speed and nothing else will do. But what are you bored about? Going slower? Or something else? If speed is your thing what high speed type programs does your track offer? Is it a USRA or ISRA program? Have you ever raced on a flat track? I am of the opinion that good quality flat track racing is much less boring than other types.The USRA GT 12 or ISRA Open 12 classes is not too expensive, offers reasonably fast motors, uses good handling chassis, and high down force bodies--you might try those--if you can find a raceway that offers them that you can get to.

For anything not to not be boring in the long run, you need to get into the details of what you are doing. That way you truly understand what it is and why it works as it does. It is these subtleties that make what you are doing interesting. Knowing the subtleties make you good at what you are doing. Just read the Slot Car Racer thread to get an idea of the details involved.

I am sure other people have differ ideas of what you can do.

Can anyone help???

I've been racing and just running slotcars for about a year now and with my controller analyzer, box etc. I've spent about $2000 on it and lately I just had no interest in it and with this much in it I don't want to just stop I loved wingcar racing but my local track stopped doing that and I tried flat track and that doesn't quite do it for me so any suggestions?

Have you done euro on the flat track?
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    SppedZoneNJ
    www.TheISrausa.com

You already posted this same question... and perhaps you didn't see that it already had one reply with some good advice - so I merged the 2 threads.

I noticed that almost all of your threads have titles like "I have a question" or "Can anyone help?"... just a suggestion, but if you try to make the thread title show the subject of the post or thread, then it really helps people to have an idea of the topic and click on it. Otherwise all the threads look the same on the list. Just sayin'....

I'm not sure what to tell you - because I personally enjoy all sorts of slot car racing. Wings, scale, retro, fast slow, 1/24, 1/32, HO, even 1/43... if it has a slot I'll race it! Each type and class of slot car has a different set of challenges and uses slightly different building and driving skills to race, compete, and win. If your local track has not had enough interest in wing car racing, and the scale racing is more popular - then you need to either help promote the wing car racing and recruit more racers.... or jump on board and try the scale racing. I think if you tried it, you wold probably like it, once you discover the different challenges it offers.

Speed is all relative - and if all things are fairly equal, then the cars can feel much faster and competitive when racing against similar cars in the same class. Stop comparing wing cars to scale cars, and try to only compare cars of the same class, and you should see what I mean. Your mind tends to adjust to the different speeds.

I've had just as much fun in a close race with slow cars and any close race with fast cars - it's the COMPETITION and the close racing that makes it exciting - not the speed!

BTW - if it's speed you like - there is nothing quite like the speed of Eurosport on a flat track!!! Definitely gets the ol' adrenaline pumping!

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

First, let me say I am sympathetic to your situation. When I was a young teen, there was no flat track at the venue I frequented (DJ's Raceway in Wichita, KS). However, the other local tracks (Pit Stop in Topeka and Rebel in Wichita) both had flatter style tracks and I found them to be boring when I visited them.

I had a fleet of cheap antique cars and they were just much easier to drive on a banked track. However, as I matured as racer, I found the flat tracks to be quite enjoyable. It just took a little time. Stick with it, and you may find scale racing enjoyable too.
    FYI, my 11 yr old prefers LMP and 1/32 GTP racing, but has recently started racing Group F wing cars and enjoys that too. My 5 yr old wants nothing more than to race G27 and OMO wing cars. ...he has some waiting to do.

Second, no one is going to have any magic words on a thread to "peak your interest". You're already here and you're racing. You just have to decide if your local race program is something you want to be involved in. If you want assistance with that decision, you really need to talk to the folks at you local raceway. If they give you an honest opinion that you don't like, don't come back to the forum looking for a second opinion. Face-to-face conversation will give them a much better feel for your abilities and interest level then we can have on the forum from a few posts.

Good Luck!
    Eli Pile

...probably the only guy you know who's name is a palindrome

It's the season for slot cars - you have the opportunity to get the most money for your goods now. Dont wait

Take a 2-3 month break, put everything away and out of sight. When you come back the thrill may have returned. If not, donate your stuff to someone that can use it (or a fire sale on eBay) and move on to some other activity while remembering how much fun it was while it lasted. I can tell you from experience that trying to manufacture a reason to stay involved does not work in the long run.
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

Where do, did you race. Maybe some one can make a suggestion based on location. I only race wings as well and have to say if i couldn't race them any more I might seriously consider quitting also. On the other hand many wing racers typically find themselves traveling in order to race. So give us a little info what was your track and where do you live?
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Kawi...You have not told us the other classes of cars raced at your track.I can only tell you that racing is racing.As Paul stated earlier,the speed is relative.I find racing cars that need to be driven more challenging and therefore more fun.Try lower dollar stuff so you don't blow your wad on one class.Retro is big and not expensive.JJK and R-Geo make easy to build chassis kits from around $25 to $38.These cars handle great and won't wipe out your college funds.I also enjoy racing the no-wing flexi class.$21 chassis,$19sealed motors.You can fund these race programs on an unemployment check.All these cars require driving and basic building skills not fat wallets.Maybe a new class can be started using motors from the defunct wing class.Just don't sell your gear.I still have my International 32 cars.Been over 15 years since they've been raced,but I'll put new tires on and race them in a heart beat.SLOT-ON______Sam.

Hey Cole let me tell you bro I know its sucks that there is no more wing car racing at tnt but ,if you want to you need yo get involved with the norcal series that runs at different tracks every month ,trust me you would have fun doing it and getting to know a lot of the guys ,you will end up love flat track racing ,but at the same time loving the big tracks also and if you need a ride always down to help you out talk to you soon and come down to the track this Tuesday so we can do some racing!!!! Greg "Sandbag"Streeter
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

How about a little input from someone who has been into slotcars for the last 25 years, this time around. I first started playing with slot cars in 1964, I think, it was a long time ago. We have all felt your pain. In the area I currently live, Chesapeake, Va., there use to be 6 tracks within an hours drive, that was in the late 80s to mid 90s. We had a series called the Mid-Atlantice Series that was composed of 10 races (one a month for 10 months) and we never raced at the same track twice. We raced all classes from hardbody NASCAR to GP27 on tracks in Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina and I raced in every class. Now if I want to race my cars it requires a minimum 2 1/2 hour drive one way. That's to the closest track and they don't race anything above a Super Wasp and no wing cars. Over the last 2 years alone I have invested well over $2000 and now have nowhere to race without a long drive. In the past I would race the classes I enjoyed racing. That evolved into racing the classes offered by the closest track. Then that evolved into limiting my racing, because of the driving distance and my health, to once a month and major events I might choose to participate in. I will race slotcars until the day I die because I truly love the hobby but I'll do it, sadly, less and less. I may end up even racing the class I detest the most, Retro. Mainly because it will be the only thing offered close enough. So Kawi the best advice I can give you is learn to adapt and if your young enough don't be afraid to travel to other raceways and race what they race. Fred
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.