View Poll Results: How much time do you spend working on slot cars?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Almost never... I drag out the box & dust & derust the cars when I get the urge to play.

3 4.05%
  • About once per season. I usually build up the fleet for each new season of racing.

0 0%
  • Monthly - I mainly participate in monthly race events, and thrash to get ready before each race.

9 12.16%
  • Weekly - I usually spend a day or two cleaning up and repairing cars for local weekly racing.

18 24.32%
  • Last minute thrasher! I only work on my stuff when I get to the track!

4 5.41%
  • Who me??? I have no time to work on my stuff! I pay somebody else to do it!

3 4.05%
  • Three or more days per week. Working on the cars is a big part of the hobby!

19 25.68%
  • Daily! I thrash on cars nearly every day! I either love it, or feel it is necessary to win!

18 24.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much time do you spend working on slot cars?

How much time do you spend working on slot cars?

When reading "Slot Car Racer's" forum, I am always amazed at the sheer dedication and amount of time spent on a daily basis in preparing and maintaining cars for racing.

It got me wondering about how much this level of commitment varies among regular racers who read & post here on OWH.

One of the many good things about this hobby, is that you truly can spend whatever amount of time and/or money that you want to, to enjoy the hobby at whatever level you choose.

But... I thought it might make a good topic for a poll - just out of pure curiosity... to see how many among us are casual or occasional fiddlers, verses those of us who are much more dedicated serious thrashers.

Anyway - select from the above choices that best describes your normal level of thrashing, and as always, posted comments are welcome as well!

Paul K @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 01-19-2012 at 03:15 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

When My program is at its best when I'm doing some kind of work to it on a daily basis.building new combo x-25's or rebuilding motors or doing a new 12 chassis or rebuilding a 12 chassis for another racer or rebuilding motors for other racers.It's kind of like therapy sit at the bench and forget about everything else and just build love it.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    SppedZoneNJ
    www.TheISrausa.com

This is one of those DEPENDS questions. Depends on how many classes I plan to run. Depends on what type of race it is. Depends on when I last serviced the stuff. Depends on how I feel. I use to race 6 different classes fron 4.5 NASCAR to GP27 once a month in the Mid-Atlantic series. Then I use to work about 4 hours a day 5 days a week and 6 hours on saturday beginning 4 months before the series began then the same amount of time each month during the series. Now I don't race so much (no local track and physical limitations) but I did work 4 hours a day 5 days a week for 4 months to get ready for the Philly ISRA race. I had to build all new stuff test it then rebuild it for 3 classes. So now you can see how it all depends. Lately I've been laid up with back problems and haven't done much but as I heal I'll start on my 4 hours a day 5 days a week rebuilding regiment. Just in case I get the itch to go racing on the spur of the moment. I'm retired so I can do that.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

I often worry about when I'm retired... if I'll be wearing Depends....
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

I guess working on my slot cars every other year for the Gnats counts as "almost never."
    Chilli

Trolling the boards and fanning the flames once again...at least for a day or two.

During slot season, I tend to work on something every day, even if it is only to investigate an idea and I get it done in 15-20 minutes. I'm either building/rebuilding cars, freshening motors (Lou Pirro does the initial builds), going through tire tubes (how soft are these ones?), or thinking about different ways of doing things.

Then full scale season starts and all my attention is pulled there... then I get to go have fun with slots again...
    Phil Matthews

I don't have time to work on slot cars at all any more. Heck, I barely have time to race any more...

used to always work on slotcars try to stay near the top, but with the decline of racers and what ever I do it wasnt good enough to win, the frustration set in, not that I had to win but all those 2nds at the nats just took its toll
    Last edited by John Davis; 01-19-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    When will you guys ever get your car to go around YFS

Every day. I have 4 programs between me and the kids. I took over my wifes breakfast room and work darn near every day.

Archie
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"

Archie King
    2019 TSRA Series Group 7 Champion
    2018 TSRA Series Group 7 Champion
    2018 HillBilly Box World Record Holder 1.907
    2016 HillBilly BoxStock Champion
    2014 TSRA Series Group 7 Champion

Team KOFORD
    http://www.koford.com/slot/

Thumbs up

The grand girls DO take presedent over slots. But not by much ........Then when a RETRO need re or building.......They still win I did get them into slots.....for awhile but school and school projects, after school...friends ...Every now & then. They like to go play with me....

OLPHRT
    PHIL I.

Every day, or it seems like it.

But that's how I managed to build 83 cars last year, pity only 6 of those were for me...............!
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

Dennis, I totally understand!

Usually once a week for the weekly races. Of course, there are times when I have to thrash at the track as I don't have time during the week for fix the cars.

Tomorrow, I will be thrashing at the track as I can't work on the cars now due to now power at the house.
    Gary Johnson

I think I spend more time on this d#*! computer then anything else getting info. Does that count? Other then that, I spend an hour every couple days on average. If it's race week you won't see me for days but I got to keep the wife happy. She's number one and toys number two split with a dozen others. Since becoming a slot car racer these past three years, I had enjoyed working on the cars especially in the technical department. I've been an electronics technician for 20 years so this has been a lot of fun. Car racing is in my genes since riding around a figure 8 track with my dad. "Ah life changes what could have been." Well I'm goin on again. Chuck

Im always thrashing the week before a race. It doesnt matter how much time I give myself to rebuild and build stuff for races, I always manage to have to thrash at the track the day of the race.
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast