Thread: Retro Race 3

Retro Race 3

OK who's ready ?.... for the 3rd installment of this new northwest brass & wire fest ? CAN-AM will be on the chief F-1 will be on the hill climber . hope to see some new faces see ya there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flyracing; 02-27-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons

Thumbs up

Tim, Jim and I spent Thursday Night massaging on ol Chief. It has a bubble bump on Red/White/Green between the two roadbed surfaces that causes the launch one section out of the bank. Jim is probably going to move Can-Am to the Twister until the Bubble gets relieved. The launching issue there is Much better now, though. The bank and donut are also better.

Your paint looks great! I need some hot shot paint jobs for the Zimmerman..........

And I'm trying to get an F1 ready....
    Last edited by S.O. Watt; 02-26-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Watt View Post
    Tim, Jim and I spent Thursday Night massaging on ol Chief. It has a bubble bump on Red/White/Green between the two roadbed surfaces that causes the launch one section out of the bank. Jim is probably going to move Can-Am to the Twister until the Bubble gets relieved. The launching issue there is Much better now, though. The bank and donut are also better.

Your paint looks great! I need some hot shot paint jobs for the Zimmerman..........

And I'm trying to get an F1 ready....
    That super fine painted body shown will be adorning my race load for Saturday race #3. Racing with nicely painted bodies slows down my lap times as most brain cells are used up keeping it wrinkle free.

It would be nice to know which track to prep for ..... Chief or Twister? I have about 10 laps total on the Chief and several hundred on the Twister ..... so it won't hurt my feelings if it goes there. It appears other type cars get through the banking just fine. Wonder why the problem is just now surfacing?
    ~DC dynamo~

The problem seems to be amplified by the brass sleds that have so little down force compared to the wing cars that make it around the track just dandy. That and the fact the front wheels play much more of a role. At this point the CAN-AM race will be on the Twister, I would rather people spend their time racing, not removing unnecessary bends from their cars in the pits. We will continue to work on the track and will run RETRO on the Chief again when I am satisfied it won't be a nuisance to the race program.
    Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals

Good call, Jim

Dennis,
    As there has only been one retro F1 race on the Chief, we have very little to go by other than the F1s were extremely unstable coming out of the bank on the upper lanes and did have a couple launch coming out of the bank. I stepped up and went to the track to evaluate what might transpire if we ran Can-Ams on it. My brand new car had the tongue, with reinforcement, bent about 45* down on about the 10th lap, car ran with the highest down force body. That raised the alarm. The problem wasn't really the bank itself, just some other oddities around it.
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

Looks like somehow you will have to find a slower motor and a triple thick guide tongue?
    ~DC dynamo~

Can-Am testing and tuning on the Twister goes 4.9!!

Mixing and matching tires, bodies and chassis' sometimes pays off and a "lucky" combo is found. Such was the case on a Thursday test session. Will it race well on stickier track race conditions ??? We'll just have to wait till Retro Can-Am #4 to find out.
    ~DC dynamo~

yeah, its called "tuning"
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

That's true ....... and I have been too lazy to do it as it requires a 100 mile round trip just to get to the track. I tend to try and do everything on race day and HOPE it works.

Craig's CC is down to 5.22 but he is making improvements. Twister race lap times were 5.37 last race so he is sitting okay but not quite smiling ear to ear yet.
    ~DC dynamo~

0hs have been pretty common in practice and there have been reports of below 5. but ?

I feel that Tim's car and mine were too stuck last race and could have used a tyre change to kill just a bit of grip.
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

Just 1 sub 5 second lap ......... based on my trusty watch chronograph timer.

Nah, electronically timed with Jim R. as a side track observer. After that we pulled the car.

I don't know if I should pull the motor and replace ...... as they don't last long before expiring. One race on it and several minutes of practice, but it's running so good I might take a chance on racing with it.
    ~DC dynamo~