Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some recent Eurosport classics

Some recent Eurosport classics

This car was probably the first ďrealĒ Eurosport engineered car designed by Slick 7. I raced this car in 1990 with Rudy Garriga (Slick 7) and Fred Hood at Fredís garage track in San Jose. It could actually be chassis #001 as I remember Rudy showing up with his prototype car and telling him I wanted one so he just went out to the trunk of his car and got me one!

As you can see, this was well before the floppy (or no) front wheel thing. I liked a solid front end. The front wheels are classic hard Riggen wheels that Iíve cut down and drilled. (p.s. I love these so if anyone has any Iím a willing buyer!)

The chassis was designed for a strap can but the Koford G-15 actually worked pretty well as Fredís track was probably only 100í and you didnít really need a bunch of power. I remember this car being very forgiving and easy to drive.

The body Iíve installed is a Parma Mercedes Group C that wonít work if I actually ran the car. Itís too slammed and narrow but I remember running a similar body except I donít know who made it. Regardless, I just ďrestoredĒ this car so I probably wonít ever run it.

Hope youíre interested Ė more to come!

Nice! I love looking at this old stuff, more please!
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

More:

This car is an early – probably 1991 or 1992 - Mossetti built for me by a dude named Dennis Kershner out of Michigan. It’s a very nice build – I remember him suggesting to me that he build it up as I probably wouldn’t be able to figure it out (true at the time!).

This car still has a “big block” 480 in it as the smaller motors weren’t totally being used in Eurosports yet. And it still has a solid front end.

In the last photo, the chassis on the right is a slightly revised version that came out maybe a year later. It was lightened up a bit and the rails were nicely milled for more flex (I don’t think you can really see this in the photos). And still, the chassis had front pillow blocks for a solid front axle.

Last edited by mbloes; 04-10-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Both of these are gorgeous! It's interesting to see the evolution of things. Today, ideas like static weight and "heavy" pans seem dated, but it's always good to look back at past ideas and see what modern technology could benefit from again. Keep 'em coming!
    Phil Matthews

Thanks for posting these.
    Very nice restorations.

Some F1 part 1 . . .

This first car is a JK that is probably from 1992. It’s pretty basic, with a single piece of wire attaching the center section to the outer section. I’ve got a full-size .459 (40-28) in it that is still like a light switch. This car isn’t dialed in too much but I didn’t work too hard at it – we never raced F1 and I only built it for fun.

F1 part two

This car is a Mossetti from about 1995 that was definitely a step up from the JK. It’s classic Mossetti engineering, with the two main rails hinged at the rear. The mini motor was a step in the right direction, but was still a handful. You can see that it is actually engraved with the chassis number – in this case #13 (out of 25, I think).

I'm sure I was the only guy in SoCal with F1 cars when I was racing so they were a pretty popular item when I brought them out.

Last edited by mbloes; 04-11-2012 at 10:45 AM.

1997 Nats

Another Mossetti Ė in case you couldnít tell, I was a big Mossetti (and Slick 7) guy. This car was probably a í96 and was pretty innovative for the time. Ernie was definitely moving in the direction of the Europe dudes with his light weight perimeter design. A lot of dudes were still running older frames that they had cut up to lose weight (it didnít stop them from beating me though!)

I raced this car in the 1997 Nats in Northern California Ė you can see the arm dye on the bottom to indicate that I passed tech. I qualified 17th with this car (out of 34) and finished 28th Ė this pretty much sums up my entire racing career!

Hope you are still interested, Iíve got a bunch more to post! Thanks.

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Nice Stuff, really clean my cars from the 90's are dirty as sin.
    Thanks for posting these works of art.

Thanks for the pictures.
    I`m going to try to forward them to Ernie.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Greg

Awesome history

Thanks so much for the awesome pictures and history of the eurosport world. It is amazing how far the euro classes have come since there creation in the early 90's.From the chassis designs to the motor configuration's.. Can not wait to see what else you have from the early eurosport era...Another thing that's is cool is the difference in the GTP bodies from there creation to what they are now when you used to race them on eurosport cars... Thanks again!
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    The 1st "eurosport" 1/24 race was at the '89 USRA Nats in Wichita. I'll see what I can find of my old stuff from starting the class.
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

First, cheers for all the positive response.

Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Watt View Post
    I'll see what I can find of my old stuff from starting the class.
    And I've been meaning to say - corrections, additions or your own contributions are totally welcome!

Finally, here is the link to my Flickr set where all of these photos are located:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbloes/...7629724001033/
    Last edited by mbloes; 04-11-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast