Thread: Track design

Track design

Can some one design a small 2 lane flat track to fit in a 12'x9 ' space?
    Thanks,
    Paul

If you p.m. Cruz'in Bob...He can probally make you any kind of small personal track you want!!! Or go to his web site www.gofastest.com...or email: cruisinbob@juno.com
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

Here's a track that Chris Dadds is building for me right now. It fits into 11' x 6' and is designed for 1/32 scale. The lane spacing is 3.5", but the track is 11" wide so it could easily be routed for 1/24.

Chris suggested that I go with this "racing line" style of routing - you can see it as the slots are routed to imitate the apex of the curve. I'll check it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bloes3..jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	10861  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bloes4..jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	10862  

Last edited by mbloes; 04-12-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Cool looking design, keep showing us pictures.
    I would love to have a little flat track in my garage.
    I`d get the magnetic braid so we could run 1/24 and also 1/32 plastic cars.

The design looks great but I'm not a big fan of that routing style. My 4 lane is routed that way and it made it much easier than it was intended to be. I wish I had gone with a traditional routing style on my track. I'd also give up some length to have another lane. That's just me. I do really like your track though. Just my input from experience.

Greg G.
    How Sweet It Is!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slidergreg View Post
    The design looks great but I'm not a big fan of that routing style. My 4 lane is routed that way and it made it much easier than it was intended to be. I wish I had gone with a traditional routing style on my track. I'd also give up some length to have another lane. That's just me. I do really like your track though. Just my input from experience.

Greg G.
    I see what you mean about the routing smooths out the corners making it "easier". But how else do you account for "tail out" without affecting the available space? Or would you just make it tighter and then allow this routing?
    Phil Matthews

Hey Thats our track too!!

Chris id doing our track at this time too. It is approx. 110 ft running. Almost same design. Footprint is 16X 26 in our case. We are excited about having a new 4 lane club track.

Moe Callison
    Tyler Slot Cars

The design looks great but I'm not a big fan of that routing style. My 4 lane is routed that way and it made it much easier than it was intended to be. I wish I had gone with a traditional routing style on my track.
    Ouch! Well, I had my reservations about it but I was going to give Chris the benefit of the doubt as he suggested it. But all I needed to hear from a legit slot racer is that it "doesn't work" to make me change my mind. My track is small and two-lane and 1/32, but the last thing I want is for it to be "easy". It's definitely not a kid's track.

Greg as soon as I read your post I emailed Chris and told him to change the routing scheme. Fortunately, he is still setting up the jig for routing it so I got there in time!

Greg G.
    Hey Greg, I'm curious. Can you post a picture of your track? I'm wondering what "too easy" looks like. Everyone will have a different opinion on that, but I want to build what the client wants to have. On your track, what's the radius of the turns, length of straits and all that. I've got mbloes slots penciled onto his track and I'm waiting to hear back from him on that. Maybe some more visual info would help these decisions.
    Chris Dadds, Master Carpenter
    Building beautiful, smooth slot car tracks for your home, club or raceway since 1987!

(I only build things so I can support my tool collecting habit.)

Haha, well Greg and I raced Eurosport for years in Southern California, so I'm sure we have similar ideas on what makes a track "difficult" or "challenging". Greg's track is 80' and four lane and I honestly couldn't imagine a more challenging track, apex routing or no.

Chris, look for the "Alabama raceway" thread - that is Greg's track. It should still be on page one.

BTW, where did the OP go on this one? I sure hate to hijack his thread (could be too late now though)!