.

.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Motor rotation question

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by MentalKase View Post
    I seem to remember (sort of) back in 1966/67 when inlines were "peaked" before sidewinders took over that there was always a preferred rotation at the track. It seems all the race winners ran the same direction.
    The motor winders typically had a preference. Zimmerman, Stuebe, Mura all liked CCW, while my motor man Bill Dale swore by CW. I never found a handling difference when I built mirror image AW chassis back then.
    Tom Hansen

    Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

    Team Camen


    Keep on Keeping On

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Geographically Brooklyn, politically Berkeley
    Posts
    211
    I've often been criticized for my flippancy, and I should apologize for it. I know I sometimes go too far. In an effort to make amends, I want to address the subject of this thread seriously:

    I believe most will agree with me that motor rotation is a bad thing, whether it be CW or CCW. It's also pretty impractical, since most of us fix our motors pretty securely in their bracket with two screws, keeping rotation to a bare minimum at worst. You noobies in the audience, pay attention to that: don't neglect your screws, they'll help you out in the future.

    If by some unfortunate circumstance you should find your motor rotating, stop the car immediately and fix it. Your first hint that something is amiss will be an odd, rhythmic bumping and bouncing motion in its rear, as the motor--most that we use now are flattened in one direction--rotates through its "wide" orientation, literally lifting the car off the track intermittently as it spins around its axis. This may seriously affect the car's handling, particularly if it occurs in a corner.

    There's a more compelling reason to do something about this rotation immediately: as the motor rotates, its lead wires are twisting progressively around themselves. I'm sure you can see what this will lead to--it's pretty obvious to anybody who's ever even walked in the door at a race: IRRA specifically mandates, lead wires MUST clearly lead to their positive and negative poles on the motor. If those wires're twisted in post-race Tech, you're D/Q'd and there goes your podium shot. Just a word to the wise, y'know.

    Hope this helps define the issues a little more clearly. See, I can be serious!

    Duffy

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    NorthWesterner now in Philippines
    Posts
    9,648
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Watt View Post
    The motor winders typically had a preference. Zimmerman, Stuebe, Mura all liked CCW, while my motor man Bill Dale swore by CW. I never found a handling difference when I built mirror image AW chassis back then.
    On a sidewinder or AW, put in mirror image chassis, you shouldn't really have a handling difference. By building the mirror image chassis, you have made the rotational torque the same direction, thus eliminating the "problem" (or difference) due to the armature rotation. In both cases the armature rotates towards the axle. DOH!

    The weight distribution difference on the right & left drive cars might make a slight difference - but not the rotational torque - since that would be the same.

    I suppose if you DIDN'T build the mirror image chassis for the CW motor... it would definitely make a BIG difference. The car would "back up". Literally! LOL

    On an inline, however, the rotational torque would tend to make the car handle better on right or left turns, depending on direction of rotation... as explained previously.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    NorthWesterner now in Philippines
    Posts
    9,648
    Duffy... I think your meds must be kicking in...

    Um... I think they meant ARMATURE rotation... rather then MOTOR rotation.

    "Nevermind" - Emily Latila
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Geographically Brooklyn, politically Berkeley
    Posts
    211
    Oh.


    Well, just in case. Y'can never be too sure, y'know.


    Duf

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    On a sidewinder or AW, put in mirror image chassis, you shouldn't really have a handling difference. By building the mirror image chassis, you have made the rotational torque the same direction, thus eliminating the "problem" (or difference) due to the armature rotation. In both cases the armature rotates towards the axle. DOH!

    The weight distribution difference on the right & left drive cars might make a slight difference - but not the rotational torque - since that would be the same.

    I suppose if you DIDN'T build the mirror image chassis for the CW motor... it would definitely make a BIG difference. The car would "back up". Literally! LOL

    On an inline, however, the rotational torque would tend to make the car handle better on right or left turns, depending on direction of rotation... as explained previously.
    You ain't telling me anything I didn't already know. Are you clarifying for the minions?
    Tom Hansen

    Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

    Team Camen


    Keep on Keeping On

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    60

    Is this going to lead to a minor Pectron dissertation ?????????

    Somehow I sense it coming ........

    It has been noted that Pectrons are quite upset by their own mirror image. In particular, when trapped within any circular object that has the diameter prepared with a mirror finish.

    ......... try highly polishing the outside diameter of your armature and just see what happens then !!!!

    .

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockies
    Posts
    22
    Wrecked 'Em? Damn Near Killed 'Em!

    bad punchline, to a joke not told...


    in this thread.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    NorthWesterner now in Philippines
    Posts
    9,648
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Watt View Post
    You ain't telling me anything I didn't already know. Are you clarifying for the minions?
    I felt the need to clarify, regarding the rotational torque issue... before any minions decided the next hot idea might be to construct a mirror image inline chassis.

    Ya just never know.

    Remember Yakima Phil & the OWH back cover chassis???
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    NorthWesterner now in Philippines
    Posts
    9,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Miller View Post
    Somehow I sense it coming ........

    It has been noted that Pectrons are quite upset by their own mirror image. In particular, when trapped within any circular object that has the diameter prepared with a mirror finish.

    ......... try highly polishing the outside diameter of your armature and just see what happens then !!!!

    .
    I heard rumor once that an Australian racer had a certain affinity for polishing the pole (so to speak). The Pectrons became so animated, that it actually effected the rotational torque of the entire continent, as well as New Zealand and Tanzania. Many have asserted that this could be responsible for the toilet water flushing in the opposite direction down under.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Auburn,Wa
    Posts
    1,640
    Sorry some thread drift...Minions work great either direction...but I still like the rotating motor answer

    Speaking of the Dispicable Me Minions heres a couple...







    Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 05-03-2012 at 06:55 AM.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    Posts
    297
    If the minions had conflicting opinions aboot which end the pinions goes on, maybe the polishing would be insegrievious.
    Tom Hansen

    Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

    Team Camen


    Keep on Keeping On

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •