Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drivers and Turn Marshalls

Drivers and Turn Marshalls

I am more than happy to give time to turn marshall even though i do not race myself
    the problem i have is when a driver get over excited to the point of having a near mental / physical breakdown, sure i understand that winning is good but usually there are 8 lanes to take care of
    screaming and shouting at a marshall to put their car back first when multiple cars come off and generally behaving like a little kid who cant get his own way is actually kind of Disturbin.
    when this happens and there are also walk in potential customers watching I am not surprised people dont come back.
    Having other drivers mention that they maybe wont race with those people is also a potential loss for the raceway
    As i see it turn marshalls are your friend i have seen a lot of poorly attended races where lack of marshalls means the race gets cancelled .
    whats your view on this and how do you deal with out of control driver behaviour
    I have spoken with the driver concerned from time to time and also with track owners though it does not seem to change things much
    maybe accidently treading on your $700 Eurosport will help change things
    Royz
    Last edited by Novaz; 05-24-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: trying to correct my English English

If a driver frequently goes ballistic, how about just walking away and take a break. Let others deal with him. Just maybe he'll get the point.
    Always leave the wood pile a little higher than you found it.

Royz,

First of all, if a driver deslots more than a single time, he is overdriving their car. I for one can not see why a racer can even expect to win a race if they come out of the slot more than a single time during a race. Hey, none of us are perfect and if you don't come out at least once, then you are not running hard enough.

I have had several folks get rather excited. The first time a racer yells at me, I give him a break. The second time, he is going to be dealt with. I find it very interesting to look them right in the eye, while you are holding their car in you hand and simply say (quite loudly), "Are you yelling at me? I did not drive the car off the track, you did. So why do you feel that yelling at me will make me work hard to cover up your inability?"

Most times the driver will simply shut his mouth, realize that they are being a trouble maker and most will come over after the race and apologize.

When I race, if there is a turn marshal that is not the best, I work hard to not come off on that turn. It is all in the hands - or make that the head - of the racer.
    Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

Racers who do that to turn marshalls really need to take a step back and think a little more...You are playing with toys cars, its not the end of the world... In a local weekly race, what do you really get out of getting all crazy and yelling????hmm... If racers are doing this they should take a break and get away from racing for a bit...If you can't laugh and race for fun with the locals at your track ,then why are you even trying to race slotcars???.... This is a hobby for fun...Something to do to get away from your everyday life and feel like a kid inside again... I have been in the hobby for so long I know everyone goes thru these mental thought patterns...everyone spends lots of money and spends lots of time building to have "fun"... A good way of thinking is, a bad day on track is still better than a good day at the office!!!! So if any racer is doing this he really needs to be reminded there just toy cars....
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

The first time a driver yells at me when I am marshalling a race I let him know to BE READY, because if he yells again, I am likely to toss the car to him at the driver's panel rather than put his car back in the slot.......
    never have been yelled at a second time........

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    The turn marshall should not have to deal with this, the Race director should and if he/she won't then the owner/manager should.

Refusing to turn marshall for a race that said driver is in would make a statement that someone should take notice of.

Still if you're in a situation where you feel you want to marshall for the clown, (to benefit the remaining racers) simply placing his/her car on the floor next to you when he/she goes off will probably drive your point home to all concerened.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

If a marshall is slow as molasses im going to let them know. I bust tail to put back others cars on the track i expect the same sence of urgency. If anyone threw my car i hope that person expects whats going to be coming next. This may be a hobby ,but if you enter a race its competition , expect people to get upset if your just dragging tail.

On the other hand if the person wrecks in my turn every time, then shame on them, i do put there car on fast but it gets old and if they take another person out i put the others car on first. and if they get upset with me i let them know but I WOULD NEVER THROW THERE CAR.

Geographically Brooklyn, politically Berkeley
    I'm seeing a lot of responses talking about this in a generalized way, not really focusing on how one or more individual drivers or marshals might inform our overall sentiments about each group; it's not the way to shape your ideas about how to handle the relationship between the two jobs, and they are very disparate jobs, very much bound together.

Like a marriage!

Sure, the driver's job is to stay in the slot. Well - things happen. Whatever that might be, it's the driver's focus that has to both stand still for the three-or-more seconds he's getting marshalled and go back on full power the instant he's back in there. That's the driver's job. During that time, though, his focus is still in full control of his mouth; and sometimes what gets shouted out is from the focus and not from the - well, the Human Being.

Same for the marshal. Nobody's down in that trench at that moment but him, he's all alone; and - even if it's just one car off - he's gotta know (1) how & where to grab that car, (2) if he's about to get slammed by oncoming traffic just as he reaches and what to do about that, (3) to read the lane sticker - sometimes interestingly-situated or hidden within some interesting paint job - and quickly orient putting that car back in that lane, without (4) interfering with more oncoming traffic and sometimes (5) having to deal with a jammed guide or snarled braids. And that's just one car.

Like in a marriage, we've got two individuals counting on each other to each do their vitally-important jobs.
    Like in a marriage, sometimes there'll be shouting. People do that when they depend on each other.
    Deal. Both of you. Talk about it later, when the crisis is over.
    Like in a marriage.

That's how I see it.

Duf

No wonder the divorce rate is so high.

The marriage dynamic is more complicated then that, but the driver/marshall relationship is not complex at all and certainly not an emotional one. Drivers need to be civil. Marshalls need to do the best they can. Humans make mistakes on both the driving and marshalling ends. If we remember that then maybe we can enjoy racing a bit more.

Roman said, "The turn marshall should not have to deal with this, the Race director should" I agree. What the race director should do is 1) make it clear what is expected out of turn marshalls and 2) let it unequivocally be known at the start of each race that any clearly inappropriate yelling will result in a set penalty, anything from a loss of time or a lap to ejection from the race.
    Last edited by Ol' Slippery; 05-24-2012 at 06:57 PM.

I have a question to ask of all here.

What exactly is the purpose of the turn marshal?
    Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

Quote Originally Posted by fl_slotter View Post
    I have a question to ask of all here.

What exactly is the purpose of the turn marshal?
    That's a rhetorical question, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Slippery View Post
    That's a rhetorical question, right?
    That one is.

Quote Originally Posted by duffy View Post
    That one is.
    Right!

You mean Marty's isn't????

I never met a volunteer marshal I did not like!
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Slippery View Post
    You mean Marty's isn't????
    Never said that.

Marshaling depends a lot on the nature of the corner: some're worse, some are hardly worth manning. Passing that, the range of commitment - varies.

At a recent outing, the last event was a Jaildoor race, at the end of a long day. Okay, anyone hanging around and not-racing, you take what you get. But one busy corner was taken up with two guys, one sitting down...and when a car came off, the standing guy would move for it & then hold back as he saw the other guy heave up and get the car. Add three seconds plus, every time.
    Second time I lost at that corner, I called over, "Can you guys please stand to marshall? Thank you--" and felt guilty, because I shouldn't be losing it in the first place.
    Still--like a marriage--neither partner was doing a full job.

Another point: I'm consistently the slowest guy in my series. I can't imagine any marshal being aware enough to know who he should put on first or second, depending on Importance - so, I'll assume that the way I'm treated on a given corner will be the same for the leader. Anybody stands an equal chance of blowing it for The Bad Hand.

But, nobody else was complaining abut the feller in the ol' rocking chair. Was I wrong?

Duf

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast