Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drivers and Turn Marshalls

Add to your turn marshall list the following:

* The deslotted car doesn't always need to go back into the slot in the middle of the turn. That will likely another accident. If there is a straight near, by place the car into that straight section to avoid any further contact with other cars in the race.
    * The race director should consider placing select marshalls in their locations based on ability. There are occasions when the wrong racer is in the wrong turn and the race director has an obligation to fix that before it becomes an issue.

I try not to yell at turn marshalls but every blue moon it happens. I always fell bad when I have. Its usually just in the heat of the moment & I'm really just mad at myself. I will get on a turn marshall like my own team mate when I know they are slacking & could do a better job with just a little effort. All I ask out of a turn marshall is your best effort & I know the same thing is expected out of me. I know one guy that just curses turn marshalls out. Just would get caught up in the heat of the moment. He meant well but it would just come out. We had to train him to yell "help" instead of the usually "F" bomb. I would be over in the pits working on cars & hear him yell help but we know what it really. meant. But at least he didn't use the "F" bomb!

It would appear to me that every track owner should print Rollin's comments in large script and post it in your raceway.
    More words to live by...sort of.

I am still of the belief that lane stickers should be applied to the bottom of the car. This will cause the turn marshal to have to pick the car up to find out what lane the car has to be returned to, which will auto correct the biggest problem of sliding cars across the lanes.

Rollin - about the only time you will ever hear me say a thing to the turn marshal is when they are caught up in a conversation with another turn marshal. I don't car what the subject is all about. I simply say, "Help". You would be surprised at how many people start to look.

I try to be the most attentive turn marshal I can be. I watch my area and stay focused. I have seen many racers that once they leave the driver's station, their focus is not as fierce as when they had a controller in their hand.

Of course, a good race director will always brief the racers and the turn marshals as to what is expected of them.

So let's go racing!
    Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    Can't run an IRRA retro car with a sticker on the bottom. just saying its their rules.
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

Rules are changable!

Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    Not IRRA ones, go try it,

I dare you
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

Tom,

Actually, I have been the reason that several rules have been upgraded and or changed in the IRRA.

Regardless of what some think, there is a real zeal to make the series better and the only way that can happen is to accept viable ideas and concepts from the racers and regional directors.

You might want to remove your dare as it's already been accomplished.

racers need for speed

YES,"#31,#34,#35,#36,#37,#39 (except directors,etc.) JUST THE RACERS ! Mabe an occasonal track owner {wink ,wink]??? dr. nuke
    Last edited by dr.nuke; 05-25-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: construction

Rollinís observations are spot on.

I learned good marshaling in the 60ís at a young age; the track manager was instructive and always insisted you watch your turn. So when I got back into it in the 90ís all those lessons came back easily. I try to marshal with the same attentiveness I use when driving (though the way I drive sometimes, probably better attentiveness...). As Duffy pointed out, when marshaling Iíve got eight cars to watch, but Iím only watching the turn Iím marshaling, not the whole track.

For me, I prefer to watch the cars entering the turn where they tend to deslot from a position where they are most easily recovered (at the same time limiting my obstruction of the driversí view). This way I usually see what lane they deslot from (you also get a sense of what lane is coming when), which simplifies the process of looking for those lane stickers, which becomes more a matter of confirmation. And, yes, I can marshal with both hands at the same time; even though Iím right handed, Iím probably faster with my left, forward or backhand.

Not boasting here, I just want to point out I do NOT expect everyone else to be that good at marshaling. Itís unrealistic. Iím sure Iím not alone, but Iíve seen all manner of drivers and marshals; the good, the bad, and the outright ugly. We all have our moments as well.

I never have understood why people just canít follow the simple ďtreat others as you would want to be treatedĒ adage. A little courtesy goes a long way. Saying ďsorryĒ or ďthank youĒ really isnít all that hard. Even a good natured ribbing along with some self-effacement can lighten the mood (I did a, ďHey Speedy, the Idiot came off on Purple againĒ, which did get my car back on followed by an appropriate middle digit salute in replyÖ ).

Why this concept of mutual courtesy would be exempt in slot car racing eludes meÖ

Rixk

(PS; Iíve got me a weekend with almost no studying to do, so Iíve got time to post pointless observations in social media. Consider yourselves warned!)

***So something for everyone to try this memorial day weekend is for the racers to not fall off the track and then the turn masrhalls will be the best they can be, which in turn will make a memorial weekend!!!LOL... Just some food for thought......
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

Any pnw racers here old enough ?

To confirm or de-bunk a story I heard about the late Chuck ballinger (may he rest in peace ) getting a little miffed when yelled at ? & literally FOLDED some guys car in half w/his bare hands ???

Quote Originally Posted by Novaz View Post
    Guys thanks for all the responses
    last weekend was a particularly bad one with the driver concerned
    I as a turn marshall totaly understand the "getting caught up in the moment " scenario but i feel that when that behaviour is exhibited every week something positive needs to be done I will approach this weekend as i do every weekend willing to give my time i dont ask or need plaudits just a little respect i have a long fuse but if it gets shorter every week then either theres a Marshall less or a car ends up unusable that will certainly be a heat of the moment reaction and i appreciate all the work and expertise that goes into building those cars .
    To Finalise i think slotcar racing should be fun for all even if your not racing lets all work together .
    oh by the way my other grouse is when drivers leave the track after car problems and dont take their turn marshalling for the other racers
    Have a great weekend I am looking forward to this wekends PSCR "500"
    Royz

The race director and/or track owner should step in. No need to publicly embarrass the guy, just take him aside and give him a warning. If he doesn't straighten up, consider asking him to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by CMF3 View Post
    "...... (PS; Iíve got me a weekend with almost no studying to do, so Iíve got time to post pointless observations in social media. Consider yourselves warned!)"
    Rick,

We're racing JK Indy cars on the Florida Orange this Sunday with two or three person teams. My team could use an extra racer as my current teammate has a bad back and is day-to-day.
    Rollin Isbell

The primary responsibility of a corner marshal is to correct driver's mistakes. All other responsibilities should be explained, and demonstrated if necessary, by the race director.
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

Gil,

It's hard to demonstrate from your chair on high. You'd have to come down from the mount to mix with us common people.

Miss seeing you at Manchester for the ROC...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast