Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recognize this Ogilvie King?

Anyone recognize this Ogilvie King?

I have Ogilvie King, #133. I bought it from Dadd's Xtreme Indoor Sports in New Haven, CT. The owner said it came from a raceway in New Haven, but I never found out what the name of the raceway was. However, there are a few features that might help identify the track. First, it was originally painted red, not blue - and it's a full length king, not a shortened one. Second, the finish/start line was painted blue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-26c..jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	11087

Another key indicator might be the lettering found on the overpass, under the blue paint. Note the red paint underneath the blue:

Name:	fast_lane..jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	11086

My guess would be the shop that used to be in West Haven, run by Jay Maturo, but I can't remember the name of the shop.
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

That could be a possibility, especially given the proximity. Does anyone know the name of the shop Jay ran back then?

Savin Rock Raceway. From Savin rock raceway it went to Stamford Raceway where it was no longer a "KING TRACK" it was a "JIM CLARK" ROFLMAO!(you had to be there when Lou told Rocky they didn't have a King).

You can ask Oglivie. They actually kept records and know when and where they built it if you have the track #... Mine was #121 (Highspeed Hillclimb) they told me who built it Century Tracks in Canada yr then shipped and setup in MI ect... (the track is currently at Slot Car Raceway in Jacksonville FL). The number is usually under the lap counter area.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    You can ask Oglivie. They actually kept records and know when and where they built it if you have the track #... Mine was #121 (Highspeed Hillclimb) they told me who built it Century Tracks in Canada yr then shipped and setup in MI ect... (the track is currently at Slot Car Raceway in Jacksonville FL). The number is usually under the lap counter area.
    Actually, I did exchange emails with Brian Crosby at Ogilvie. He told me they didn't retain records that far back, though I was skeptical. My track is #133. I suppose a phone call might be better than email?

Brian was who I emailed with also but he was able to find my info. Best of luck.

The other day we removed the overpass sidewalls. The original walls were too warped to allow for correcting the edges of the surface, so we are fabricating new ones of MDF. In the meantime, we set about checking lateral flatness and discovered inconsistencies in the surface. These were caused by sidewalls that pinched in towards the driving surface. The lead-in turn has a crown that must be removed. In this case, the entire outer sidewall was taken off and will be replaced with new material. To remove the crown, where it's most severe we'll install another lateral support and screw down through the surface into it. Then we'll reattach the sidewall at each end, working towards the center while maintaining lateral flatness. The turn won't be dished, but it won't be perfectly level either. With a little driving skill, it should be an excellent launchpad into Main St.

The other sidewall repairs on the to do list include: the damaged outer sidewall on the donut, a 4' section of the outer wall in the finger hairpin, and a 3' piece of the outer wall in the first section of the bank. We're off to get the MDF tomorrow and should be done with the repairs by the end of the weekend. Then I'll spray the slots, gains, and any exposed MDF with thinned urethane, in preparation for filling the gains. Progress!

We've been busy working on the dented corner walls. Unlike the straight sections, which have one piece sidewalls, the corners are constructed in 4' sections. Once we removed the offending walls, we found the pinched-in walls were also affecting the surface. Note the gap between the piece of MDF and the surface.

Name:	2012-06-10g..jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	11130

To fix the surface buckling we constructed angle supports made of 1/2" MDF and screwed through the surface to it. The screws are countersunk and will be filled with Bondo before painting.

Name:	2012-06-10e..jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	11128

Here's a view from the top:

Name:	2012-06-10f..jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	11129

The lead-in to Main St. had a crown to it, again due to sidewall damage. That would have been disastrous for racers, and would be yet another quirk (too many and it's junk). Here's a view of the lead-in with the surface straighteners installed:

Name:	2012-06-10b..jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	11131

Lastly, a view of the overhead bridge before sidewall installation. While there's a slight belly in the surface that is largely due to the flex in the piece, the rest can be adjusted out when attaching the cleats under the track surface to the sidewall.

Name:	2012-06-10d..jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	11132

Though it continues to take longer than anticipated, things are continuing to turn out well. Not long until we start filling the gains!

It always takes longer than it looks like it will! 1/2 way thru you will swear you will never do it again but when its done you will be glad you put in all the hard work. Lane stripping is harder than it looks... 2500ft of braid takes way longer than you think. Most people have no clue all that really goes into a track.
    While you have the bridge section off I would put the side wall back on flush with the track then add Lexan to that, it really improves your view.

Yes, it does seem so. This is the 2nd track we've tackled (Ogilvie Hillclimb was first), but it needed considerably more work to get running. The HC has been up since late January, and is in like new condition. I like the idea of plexiglass for the Main St. side of the overpass, as I've noticed black and purple can't see their cars part way into the overpass. Perhaps that is why the old American tracks had that peculiar railing?

After taking some time off to enjoy the summer, work has begun again on the King. Below are a few pix of the latest progress:

View down Main St. from the bank:

Name:	2012-07-29-Main-St&#4.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	11296

Second hairpin turn (finger). Note L shaped lateral straightener on the right, near the end of the sidewall break. In several spots the sidewall was pinched in, caused by improperly storing the section on it's side. The sidewall deformation caused the surface to cup slightly, so a lateral straightener was installed to restore the surface flatness. New MDF sidewalls will be installed this week.

Name:	2012-07-29-Finger-&.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	11297

First section of the banked turn showing removed sidewall and lateral straightener installed.

Name:	2012-07-29-Big-Ban&#1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	11298

Second section of the banked turn required same repair to surface and sidewall.

Name:	2012-07-29-Big-Ban&#1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	11300

Overpass with sidewalls removed and clamped to remove sagging surface. Will reinforce the section to preserve straightness before reattaching new sidewalls. Yellow, Purple, and Black lose sight of their car on the overpass, so will install plexiglass above the surface on the wall facing the drivers.

Name:	2012-07-29-Lead-on&#.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	11299

Latest progress has included making & installing some tall-boy legs where they were needed, as well as one in the middle of the big bank, where a new lateral support was installed. Only three legs to go and all the new supports will have adjustment legs attached. One more is needed on Main St., but it is nearly done - the surface and transitions are now very smooth. The legs under the new lateral supports really helps smooth the surface. Still need to fully secure the underpass sidewalls and also install a few sidewall cleats on the straights coming out of the big bank. All told, we're just a few sessions away from spraying thinned urethane into the gains and slots, the last step before moving on to the bondo. I'll grab a some cove molding at Home Depot to slide up for filling the slots so no Bondo gets in them. Pictures to follow!

Have redone some sidewalls where the cleats were compromised or damaged. In the process, I was able to smooth track edges. So far the two outer walls of the straights coming out of the big bank and the inner wall of the next to last section of Main St. have been removed, cleats repaired/replaced, sidewalls reattached. Tomorrow, the outer wall of the last section of Main St. will be reattached. Lastly, the outer wall of the turn leading into Main St. will be remade and attached. For that section, will either use two layers of 1/4" plywood (one of top of the other), or a special bending plywood.

Below is a YouTube video of a walk around the track:
    http://youtu.be/8aXpWSOO6N4

Great job so far saving this King track. Keep us updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast