Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Controller advice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006

    Controller advice

    Putting together a vintage car, Pittman can motor.I raced in the mid 60's and used ,I think, an MRC controller.What should I look for.I cant remember the OHM rating from back then but the Parma units I see on ebay for 20to 40 bucks are rated at 40 OHM or better.Is this what I should get or look for an old Cox or MRC unit? Thanks ,Mike

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    barrington, il.
    a 4 ohm or 7 ohm parma basic unit will work well. You can find them on epay if u dont have a track near you. John
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    St Charles, Illinois, USA
    Wattage is also importent, so where you use it will help determine a good controller. Many tracks from the old days used low power power supplies similar to what the plastic home sets do today - 12-14 VDC with less than 2 amps per lane. Most modern raceways and club tracks use that voltage, but often have many more amps available per lane. This 'extra' wattage power would overwhelm the old controllers with the pittcan and other 'hot wind' vintage motors. A 4 ohm Parma TURBO is a good controller for this use as is a commercial grade Professor Motor diode or transistor controller for under $60. Extra features add purchase price increases. Single barrell resistor controllers are fine for less than 30 watt (12V x >3 amps) loads.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

    60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts