Thread: Good times at Eddie's Slot Car World

Good times at Eddie's Slot Car World

Today, we had 4 races & 39 racers & we were done by 5:00. How's that for managing time! Racing was great, power was never an issue & the competition was fierce. We couldn't ask for a better day. Thanks to Eddie & Janet for letting us play at their track. Race results to follow soon, stay tuned.
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

Hey Russ, Where do you post the race results....bro?
    Jay Herrod

Quote Originally Posted by team burrito View Post
    Race results to follow soon, stay tuned.
    I believe Russ means that race results will be posted right here! As in "soon, stay tuned"

For those with reading disabilities or ADD, I'll highlight once again RIGHT HERE (as in OWH). "Soon", and "stay tuned" would mean "wait for it" (hopefully).

NorCal (and even SoCal!) racers, raceways, and racing organizations are always invited and most welcome to post their race results right here on OWH Slot Car Talk, for OWH readers can read them.

If the racing organizations, or volunteer race reporters only post on other forums for whatever reason, then they are missing out on promoting their racing program to a whole other segment of slot car readers and racers. It doesn't take much effort or time for them to copy & post on more then one forum.

Russ (team burrito) has always done a great job of keeping OWH informed about NorCal racing, so I guess I was hoping that he or someone else would be posting the race results here on OWH.

If they are only posting on another forum, then I guess you NorCal racers will need to check the other forums.

But guys... I know you are just trying to be helpful... please don't simply post links to other forums for race reports. That simply defeats the purpose of posting them here.
    Okie dokie?

PK @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 07-29-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hope they post them here, too, Paul I lost the other forum's address. I just wanted to make sure Russ wasn't teasing us.
    Jay Herrod

I am a weasel...

Here's the report as promised, although I did hijack it from the other website, less the cool pictures. Maybe I'll post them later (said MAYBE!!!).

Eddies Slot Car World Race report 7-22-12

Our race on Sunday 7-22-12 brought several notable events. We had a new record turnout of 39 entries for this venue. We ran four races today and were finished before 5:00 PM. We ran the inaugural race for our new stock car format. And among other things, Justin Colvin’s dad Mike set a new lap record for a round trip from Eddies in Vallejo to FTH in Rocklin and back in order to retrieve Justin’s Can Am car. Thanks are in order to ESCW regulars Eric Jan, Tom Joseph and Randy Tragni who joined us for the races. Special note goes out to Randy T for the effort that he has put in at Eddies in developing a small but loyal cadre to join the regulars when we come around.

As always we run all events on the King track here and as usual Eddie and Janet had the place ready to race when we showed up at 10:00 AM. Traction was great across all lanes and the power stayed good all day for great racing right to the end of the show. All the series regulars were on hand this month along with the local guys and Nor Cal wunderkind Justin Colvin. Finally, Gary Hooks showed up with a note from his mom so we allowed him back in the races after a two months absence. As often happens here @ Eddie’s, Gary came back from his layoff and pretty much cleaned up.

We started the show with the new 4.5” stock cars and the new format was a hit. Every racer was in favor of the slower motors (slick 7 MB) and the taller more scale appearing bodies. We started our 10 man round robin right at 12:00 and very quickly Gary Hooks set a tough pace with a couple of 31 lap heats. I was able to match him for two heats and even took the lead briefly but had a tough run on white dropping three laps. I faded from there and wasn’t a factor after that.

Meanwhile Justin was running solid heats in the 28-29 range as were Russ Toy, Randy Keil, and Tom Joseph. We all figured out these new cars as we went along and had some great racing as we found out how closely we could run. Gary cruised in comfortably with me in second and some very tight racing from 3rd to sixth. As with our F-1 class, we have found that the slower Slick 7 motors make for great racing.

Gary Hooks……….238………5.82
    Jim Fowler………..233………5.75
    Justin Colvin………225………6.05
    Russ Toy……….….222………6,20
    Randy Keil………...222………6.09
    Tom Joseph…….….222………6.09
    Richard Matthews…214………6.09
    Randy Tragni………210………6.14
    Dick Seely…………210………6.21
    Eric Jan…………….208………5.58

We followed the stock cars more or less immediately with the F-1 cars. Early on, Gary, Justin, and Tom Joseph were the class of the field while I was a tick off the pace. Clean heats were the rule rather than the exception in this class and judging from the pace, any of the top three cars might have won the race.

Many of the cars were well matched but in the end each place had a 1-3 lap space with Gary running fast and consistent to win. Justin was both fast and consistent as well and ran second but Tom was on the pace too and a little luck might have changed the top finishes entirely. The cars in this field were pretty competitive and the locals definitely outpaced some regulars.

Gary Hooks……….255……..5.42
    Justin Colvin………252…….5.48
    Tom Joseph………..249…….5.48
    Jim Fowler…………244…….5.59
    Richard Matthews….237……..5.75
    Randy Tragni………234……..5.66
    Randy Keil…………232……..5.92
    Eric Jan…………….224……..6.03
    Russ Toy…………...221……..5.59
    Dick Seely………….218……..6.09

We took 25 minutes from the end of F-1 to the start of Can Am and all ther racers were great about getting their Can Ams and Pro Coupes turned in for tech early. A few grabbed a quick bite and then we were back at it. Early in this race, Gary threw down two 35 lap heats to set the pace. Justin ran a 34 and a 35 and I was close behind with two 34’s. The track was set up perfectly for these cars and the pace was very fast all through the race. After the second heat, my car came in a little and got really good and I started throwing down competitive heats while Gary and Justin were running close for a while.

Russ, Randy T, Tom and Randy K were running laps times that would have been near the top last time out but Gary, Justin and Myself were flying. In mid race I was gaining a little on Gary and pulling away from Justin a bit when I had a full punch collision with a car that came off in the straightaway. That wreck shattered my guide flag and I lost a little over a full heat replacing it thus ending my chances. As the race wound down, Gary easily pulled away from Justin who was in second and Russ ran some great heats near the end to gain a little on Justin but had to settle for third. This was our fastest ever Can Am race with the fastest lap times we’ve ever seen here and our highest ever lap total for the win.

Gary Hooks…………281………4.88
    Justin Colvin………..268……….4.99
    Russ Toy……………264……….5.15
    Tom Joseph…………255……….5.21
    Randy Tragni………..253……….5.28
    Randy Keil………….251………..5.21
    Jim Fowler…………..246……….4.82
    Eric Jan………………241……….5.43
    Dick Seely……………235………5.48
    Richard Matthews……196………5.37

Right after the Can Am race, we had a quick scramble for bathroom, water breaks, car pics and race setup but fifteen minutes after C-A was done, we were lined up to start the Pro Coupes for our fourth race of the day. Often, the Pro Coupe race is a little rough and this time out was no exception. We experienced a great many, wrecks, riders and track calls near the beginning of this race. Early on Justin Colvin held the lead with Russ close behind and myself struggling along in 8th after a bunch of deslots.

There were a lot of cars with big time speed in the straightaway and passing was a challenge for a while as folks were fighting a bit to keep up with the torrid pace of these cars. I cleaned my tires and suddenly the car got good and so I got my act together after a while and pulled away from Justin and everybody settled into their groove by mid-race. Justin had a mechanical problem and dropped out but most everyone else kept the wheels on. (Except for Randy T who managed almost a full lap with a missing rear tire).

One of the more impressive runs was Russ Toy with a blueprinted China Dog motor who was able to keep pace with the faster Big Dogs and ran an impressive second place over Tom J who was pulling everyone down the straight but not running well in the donut. Tom and Randy K were separated by short track distance at the end as Tom got his second podium and third race in the top four. Dick Seely ran fast and consistent and stayed out of trouble for a solid fifth place.

Jim Fowler………274…….4.76
    Russ Toy…………269……4.82
    Tom Joseph………263……4.83
    Randy Keil……….263……5.05
    Dick Seely………..253……5.05
    Richard Matthews...249……5.26
    Randy Tragni……...227……5.43
    Eric Jan……………245……5.43
    Justin Colvin………115……4.98

During the course of the day we had a chance to consult on the stock Car format and everyone was in agreement that both the scale bodies and the Mini Brute motors were a great package and that will be the format for Stock Cars moving forward. Our group is getting very good at moving their pace along and we had everyone in tech on time and all the races started on our roughly planned timeline.

This was a fun race with a lot of good results for racers other than the usual suspects. Eddies local racers performed very well and showed their back bumpers to some of our regulars. As always, Eddie Wong’s experience showed up in his track prep as he always has the track well set up and we don't have to scramble for bite.

Next up in our rotation is Frank Sarkela's Slot Car Raceway in Rohnert Park (home of the recent scale nationals) Classes will be F-1 and 1/32 Can Am pro on the flat track and Can Am on the King track.

Jim Fowler
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.