Thread: SRT issue

SRT issue

I have an 8 lane tri oval. Using SRT with 75amp/13.6v power supply. Everything has worked great until today. Went in the system to qualifty. Every lane but white and green had power. The relays were all warm except white and green. Went in to race and track call only worked on white and green. After about 3 heats, the track call started working for every lane. Would an idiot hooking up a drag controller with a 9v boost battery screw up the relays enought to kill them? After all was done tonight, we checked various options. During race mode, track call kills everything. Yellow lane seems to be the biggest issue. Any help?

Well i can only assume a drag controller would screw up the relay since your now having problems! I assume the 9V battery didn't help any of the relay's either.
    A couple questions come to mind though like what color lane did he hook this controller to? green or yellow?
    Why would the relay get warm? it's only meant to turn power on or turn power off like a light switch.
    What exactly is happening with the yellow lane?
    what are you trying to do? Track call, qualify (which BTW should be on orange)

Someone else had a SRT question about a month ago i wasn't much help though. but their are other people with more info on the subject on the forum, as i said to the last SRT question you'll probably need to be more specific on what is actually happening.

The recent previous thread about SRT is in the Track Building forum:

SRT question

You might find some info in that thread, that hopefully can help.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Shots Rob View Post
    I have an 8 lane tri oval. Using SRT with 75amp/13.6v power supply. Everything has worked great until today. Went in the system to qualifty. Every lane but white and green had power. The relays were all warm except white and green. Went in to race and track call only worked on white and green. After about 3 heats, the track call started working for every lane. Would an idiot hooking up a drag controller with a 9v boost battery screw up the relays enought to kill them? After all was done tonight, we checked various options. During race mode, track call kills everything. Yellow lane seems to be the biggest issue. Any help?
    Rob It may be the SRT board failing. You are welcome top borrow my PC to isolate the issue. I just need it back Thursday night. If everything looks good under the track (no cats, or dogs been under it hanging out) it is most likely the SRT board.
    220' Engleman Grandstand
    1000' 1/24th Scale, Dragstrip
    Aaron Farrell
    Slot Car Cave
    3033 Suite B Cherry Road
    Rock Hill, SC 29730
    (803) 524-8844

Check Website for hours.
    Follow us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/SlotCarCave

I would not fault the drag controller. The controller red/ground wire is not used on these, so no brakes and no power to run the blast relay for full power. The 9v is not involved with track or any other power issue (unless it is built wrong).

Check the fuses for the SRT board to make sure both the + and - are all working...and no loose wires. Another reason to have a spare SRT board to plug-in and isolate problems with the harness OR board issues. Those little transistors on the upper right side of the SRT board are the relays in charge of the track relays - look for a cracked or burned one or more.

Sometimes the track relays will fail. If you run low voltage rental power, sometimes 9 volts will not be enough to run a 12 volt relay. Keep the relays on a constant proper voltage and only reduce the voltage to the white track positive for the lane output.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 09-24-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

You could also check the multi pin computer connectors at the back of the computer to make sure it is firmly and all the way in place.

[QUOTE=Ramcatlarry;300741]I would not fault the drag controller. The controller red/ground wire is not used on these, so no brakes and no power to run the blast relay for full power. The 9v is not involved with track or any other power issue (unless it is built wrong).

What would happen if the user hooked the drag controller up to the wrong terminals? all drag strips only have 2 terminals and all 8 lane tracks have 3 terminals which we all know.

I wasn't their and i'm just guessing, I know a regular parma controller or difalco, if you hook up the three terminals wrong nothing really happens at all, except the car won't move or you'l fry out a pot on the contorller (brake or accel knob).

Going to swap the yellow lane relay since it seems to be the only one with a big issue. As far as qualifying, we rotate which lane we qualify on. Random pull right before we start to get the guys to practice in more lanes than just orange. Been a lot of fun. The drag controller has a white and black wire coming out of the battery power pack. BUT...there is a red boot and black boot on the controller clips. I don't know what lane he plugged in to. I do know, it was working properly before he practiced. Coincidence? maybe. BUt i can't help but believe adding 9v to the wrong place is good for the tri oval. I know it helps on the drag track for launch but....I'm going under it in the morning to swap that one relay and check all the fuses and wires to make sure nothing is loose. Thanks for all the replies. Was quite aggravated and a little tired and did not read other srt boards last night. Sorry for adding another post when i should have read deeper.

Try to do one thing at a time to isolate your problem like switch the relay first then run the track, if tha's not it switch it back to it's original place. Then move on to the fuses doing the same thing. so on ect. someone even posted yu could use their computer to see if it is the SRT I/O program card it's self malfunctioning.

Best of luck!