Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Are you running your own chassis?

Nice build dude!
    I was bending wire last night for my own car. Going 10 total rails of .055 since it's for the flat track. Hope to be testing in a few weeks.
    J

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    Well the Parma race is over with and once again thanks to Jairus making a great poster for S.C.R.R.A.
    Now it is time for me to build more chassis that will have a hard time at BPR.
    This is a chassis that Rob Hanson designed for me and I got it done, he got his done before I did!
    I call this one " Twisted Sister" due to the fact I did mine a bit different with the spec's.
    It will be around 94 to 95gssss because I can't run a 87g car that I build in the past.
    Here is some of pic's of my ride, it ain't pretty but its mine.
    Made in the good old USA, San Diego.

Love to see what you guys are up to?

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

Nesta:
    Looks good. After building that, you don't need anyone to build for you ever again
    NONE

Thanks Rob, but I'm not a chassis builder. Like to paint 1/32 scale cars that's what I like.
    Still I have this F1 Slick 7 chassis laying around and I would like to make something else with it?
    To many guys are running that one at BP, can't run the same stuff as they do can I?
    It smells like rental ride to me, just like what every one else bought a 'Rising Sun" CanAm chassis, I like different stuff not that cookie cutter chassis.

Nesta

Quote Originally Posted by 68Deville View Post
    Thanks Rob, but I'm not a chassis builder. Like to paint 1/32 scale cars that's what I like.
    Still I have this F1 Slick 7 chassis laying around and I would like to make something else with it?
    To many guys are running that one at BP, can't run the same stuff as they do can I?
    It smells like rental ride to me, just like what every one else bought a 'Rising Sun" CanAm chassis, I like different stuff not that cookie cutter chassis.

Nesta
    Hello Nesta,since the Checkpoint is over Iv been building myself some chassis to fight the wars at BPR.These are the first Brass/Wire cars Iv built since the early 1980s,but there getting better.These are some Kamo-Speed clones,with slight changes in weight distribution and length,to try and come-up with a chassis that is light weight,fast and strong.These 3 chassis are all .055/.063 rails and weigh about 43-44grams as they sit,but I can cut and grind and make them lighter in the future is needed.....We will be testing soon,,Thanks Don Campbell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kamo #1 Mid..jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	12330  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5307..jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	12331  

Name:	#3 Kamo Midyy..jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	12332  

That's looking REALLY good Don!! Looking forward to how they handle for ya at BPR!! Nice job!!
    T

Don that is a couple of nice build ups, way cool. Myself I would like to come up with some own mouse traps!
    I just don't want to compete with the same type of chassis, I feel that it will stop creativity in the long run? I might be wrong but I try to stay away from copying the same rides that TonyP develop in the past.
    Have to say I like stuff that Terry S. comes up with and Rick Moore chassis are way to much for me to build, Rob Hanson has a nice way to come up with competitive chassis.

Nesta

Quote Originally Posted by 68Deville View Post
    Rob Hanson has a nice way to come up with competitive chassis.

Nesta
    Yea.......it's called Auto Cad. . If I couldn't draw it first and use the print, my chassis builds would still be two rails with some pans hanging off.
    NONE

Well this is the finish ride and I still can shave of 2Gssss.

Next, I need to fix some of my light CanAm rides, they are 87g.

Nesta

Hi Nesta,,The main reason I went with cloning the Kamo cars is at this time,on the BP track,,Kamo-Speed chassis are the "Hot-Taco-Ride",,,so since Id been away from chassis building for 30yrs,I wanted to start with the best design running{in my opinion} .I do think by building my own chassis I can take this proven design and custom tune it for my needs,and thats the plan,but I didn't want to build 10 chassis trying to get a good one.Foamy and I have tested a tweaked clone of mine and they seem pretty good,cars come in the low 90gram range.So anyway Im building another right now,with some mods and I hope this car will be under 90grams,,and with any luck we can get it to handle well also,,,I'll fill you in about my progress soon......Take care my friend...............Don Campbell

Don at least you went with the hype up winner to copy, that's all good but I would not build a ride that is less then 90g's.
    I got two of them that are 87g. not that good, they roll over like happy little doggies in the donut.
    Heck if you could make a better mouse trap that is light that would be great.
    Bring it on and having Dennis is a great plus.

Nesta

Building a car under 90g and having it handle well is going to be a good trick,,,,but its easy to ad weight,so its worth a try.I tested a car the other day,and at 90g it was "OK",,so we added 2g and it really smoothed out,,,,in some ways I wish we had a 100g minimum,,,but Im not much into rules,so we have what we have,we just need to play the game.The cars seem pretty happy at 93-95g.
    ...........Take care,Don

Nesta,this is the tweaked clone I finished last night,,I moved some weight around a little,weighs 42.4 as it sits.Im building a Warmack kit right now for the flat track,no weight issues on the flat track cars....Thanks,Don Campbell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mid #4 Clone 2..jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	12346  

Name:	Mid #4 Clone..jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	12347  

Don, that looks way sano to me way cool.
    Please let me know how it works out.

Nesta

Nesta,is there any photos posted of your super-light 87g cars anywhere?....................Thanks Don