Thread: Typhoon "Pablo" Hits Philippines

Typhoon "Pablo" Hits Philippines

Typhoon "Pablo" Hits Philippines - hundreds dead & missing in Mindanao.

Normally I try to avoid mainstream news here on OWH... as you can read about it on plenty of online news sites... as well as on Facebook & Twitter... but this typhoon has hit very close to home. We are less then 100 miles from New Bataan in the Compostela Valley here in Panabo, Davao del Norte.

Typhoon "Pablo" has taken it's toll and the casualties and damages continue to rise in Compostela Valley.

Here's just a few links to articles & photos:

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/typhoon-bop...022338104.html

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/re...-typhoon-pablo

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/re...hock-disbelief

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle...rikes-mindanao

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/4...n-pablos-wrath

As we watch the news and see more and more of the damage and loss of lives, we have also learned of family and friends affected by the storm. Amor's brother's house had the roof blown off, and the bridge to their town is out, so nobody can get in or out of their town.

Our close friends - 3 sisters Jinky, Resty, & Venice - parent's home had been destroyed. They lost all their pigs, goats, and all their possessions. Thankfully, the family was evacuated and staying in a school, but their home is gone.

Here in Panabo, we were thankful to have only suffered cable & internet outages... but just now I am finding out that they are evacuating the downtown and warning residents to expect flooding from the local reservoir, which is overflowing. I do not know the details, but I believe they are going to release the water before it overflows, which will cause some flooding.

Amor & her cousin Francis closed the Karaoke bar and everyone downtown is being alerted to clear out and prepare for possible flooding.

We will need to prepare at home by moving the PC and everything we can up high to avoid damage.

I may be offline for a while... wish us luck!
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-06-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Stay safe and good luck, Paul!

Remember to take:

ID
    Passport
    Meds
    Pillow (optional)
    Blankets (optional)
    Money
    Extra clothes
    Cell Phone
    Cell Phone charger

Good luck.

Good luck Paul

Good news - no flooding here in Panabo!

I guess they were just evacuating and warning to prepare everyone for the worst, just to be safe.

I went for a 5 AM early morning walk in Panabo Park with a group of very nice mostly retired men that invited me to join them. They are composed of a variety of business men, civic leaders, teachers, and even a lawyer... who gather every morning to jog, walk, and socialize over breakfast & coffee at Great Mac (my honey's family's restaurant). I have dubbed them "The Breakfast Club", and am proud to be a part of their little group.

Still no slot car track... but nice to make some new friends here in Panabo!

There were hundreds of joggers & walkers, along with about a hundred ladies doing the morning Tae-Bo workout, and the young men from the boxing gym doing their morning workout and run... very inspiring! Life is back to normal here in Panabo.

In the Compostela Valley... they are still searching for missing survivors, identifying and burying the casualties, assessing the damages, and digging their way out of the mess... so while we watch the news and keep them in our thoughts and prayers, we also count our many blessings that we were spared any major damage here in Panabo.

Panabo Paul
    OWH remote office in Philippines
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Glad to hear you made out ok Paul. Nice pic by the way.

Vic
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

Was the Freeze dried emergency food ad by serendipity or purpose?? Wooo

Glad to hear you are live and well. Looks like you have found a social group and that's great.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Nice to hear you doing OK, Paul.

I have friends and acquaintances in Bulacan (Luzon) and also in Tacloban. They also escaped serious consequences. Glad you're ok there !
    Aside from basketball, slot racing should be a hit in P.I. Mahjong can't be as fun as racing slot cars.