Thread: Prehistoric visitor in my garden

Prehistoric visitor in my garden

Yesterday's visitor - a female Weta with a body length of about 4"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7973_2..jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	12215
    Last edited by Zippity; 01-01-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

How many slot car controllers can that thing operate?

I'm not sure (and don't really want to know) how you know that is a female...

but if it is in fact a female, then it seems the male would have to be extremely "motivated" (I didn't really want to say "horny") in his quest to proliferate the species. Makes me wonder how that species has even managed to survive extinction!

Besides that pointy tail - those spikes in the rear end would be enough to convince many males to give up the mating ritual and take up a new hobby.

Perhaps even slot car racing...

Which leads us back to George's question, I guess.

My guess is 6 controllers, since I doubt she could pull the trigger with those humongous antennas or that pointy tail.

Make that 3 controllers, if she used the popular two handed grip - or the "Justin Colvin 2 finger trigger technique".

More likely she could pull off some killer crochet, needlepoint, or macrame (if I was to resort to gender stereotyping).

Man - I've seen all sorts of weird critters here in the Philippines... but I've never seen anything quite like that!

Paul K @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 01-02-2013 at 02:37 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Simple to sex - and I ain't talking about Paul here

From "Wiki": The female weta looks as if she has a stinger, but it is an ovipositor, which enables her to lay eggs inside rotting wood or soil.

The male on the other hand has large powerful mandibles (jaws).

These insects are nocturnal and flightless and are really quite cute, but I still can't come around to letting one crawl over my skin
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Cute?!?

At about 1/4 of an inch it might be cute, but at 4 inches long? I'd run right through a wall if that thing landed on me.

The past few years we've had these giant Asian hornets around here. Imagine a yellow jacket about 2 1/2" long. :O

Fortunately, they don't seem interested in us, but they are HUGE stinging wasps, so our impulse is the avoid them...so is theirs gratefully.
    "Bring your ballistic $hit and your asbestos shorts, nobody gets out alive." Paul Kovich

Cute? Well then I guess a Rhino is too. What is it ? Second cousin to a big La Cucaracha???
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Size 12 boot seems about right!