Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reducing Track power

reducing Track power

I would like to hear opinions and "How-tos" on reducing track power? Ive heard of guys putting in a second power post that has a restistor in line that you hook your controller to. How do you do that and what value of resistor does it take? Im want to do that on the Green Hornet . Its 120 foot eight lane . Running a 90 amp bulldong at 12.7 volts. we run a club class of 1/32( JK 11) with Hawk 7 or the evil nine. The track seems to be hard on motors as we get 2 to three races on them. its a weekly class and the guys would like a little more longivity out of them. Our Fast guy is runing the track in the high 3.3 seconds with most of us in the 3.5's. Long story short. The other day had a Birthday Party and installed a Pyramid 22 amp varible power supply so I could turn the power down for the 8 yrs olds. For giggles the club ran a race at lower voltage (11.25) volts and the guys seemed to like slowin down the class abit. Less carnage and better racin. Im looking at options to reduce power to the track and thinking the second power post might be a way to do it and run the bulldog. The night we ran on the pyramid power supply we only ran 4 lanes. I dont think it would hold up to running eight lanes without issues. also with the second post installed a racer could choose the high or low voltage during practice as we also run class that we want the full 12.7 volts. Also Ive seen a rheostat advertised for turning down the track for a $200. Has anyone had exsperiance with these? Thanks Hillbilly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new scram 006..JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	12318  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scram DISPLAY 3-14&#4.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	12319  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scram DISPLAY 3-14&#4.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	12320  

Well another way to get more life out of your motors is to reduce the gear you are pulling. If you're running 9 tooth pinions--go to 8 tooth. But getting 3 races out of a Falcon, TSR, or a Demon is about all you're going to get! The brush's wear out in that amount of time. ---

Thanks but it also seemed to make better racing for the guys and Im just exploring ways to have reduce power not only for this class but for parties and such.Hillbilly

Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    When I did the 4th post at WSS&H back in the mid 80s, I used 20 ft of 18 ga wire loosely coiled around a heat sink
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

not sure about the power supply, but our track uses rivergate supplies. you can open them up and adjust the output voltage

Ive turned the "Pot" down on the bulldog and lowest voltage I could get is 12.7 volts......... Tom, any Idea how much drop the 20 feet of wire would be? .... Basically a choke? Ive never messed with one. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyYart View Post
    I would like to hear opinions and "How-tos" on reducing track power? Ive heard of guys putting in a second power post that has a restistor in line that you hook your controller to. How do you do that and what value of resistor does it take? Im want to do that on the Green Hornet . Its 120 foot eight lane . Running a 90 amp bulldong at 12.7 volts. we run a club class of 1/32( JK 11) with Hawk 7 or the evil nine. The track seems to be hard on motors as we get 2 to three races on them. its a weekly class and the guys would like a little more longivity out of them. Our Fast guy is runing the track in the high 3.3 seconds with most of us in the 3.5's. Long story short. The other day had a Birthday Party and installed a Pyramid 22 amp varible power supply so I could turn the power down for the 8 yrs olds. For giggles the club ran a race at lower voltage (11.25) volts and the guys seemed to like slowin down the class abit. Less carnage and better racin. Im looking at options to reduce power to the track and thinking the second power post might be a way to do it and run the bulldog. The night we ran on the pyramid power supply we only ran 4 lanes. I dont think it would hold up to running eight lanes without issues. also with the second post installed a racer could choose the high or low voltage during practice as we also run class that we want the full 12.7 volts. Also Ive seen a rheostat advertised for turning down the track for a $200. Has anyone had exsperiance with these? Thanks Hillbilly

I have 2 of those pyramid 22 amp power supplies. I have one running 4 lanes with 6.6 cap and the other one doing the othere 4 lanes with 6.6 cap. I have had 8 16d cars running and have had no problems and we also race at 11 to 11.6 volts. We race laps but still I have falcons with 1200 laps on them and are still going strong. Heck my most of my fast motors are at least 6yrs old from when we raced at Keystone. I haven't tried my 75 amp Iota power supply yet no need to. Good luck

Ive thought about just adding the second pyarmid and I could do that for a fuzz over a $100. Anything I should be aware of if running two power supplies? When is comes to things that "Spark" I hav a hard time!!!!! I just do what Im told or copy a pic and play dot to dot! Wink Wink!.........the second post idea is sounding good, anyone else hav any input? Thanks Hillbilly

A reostat is NOT the way to do it. The voltage drop would be dependent on the load, so the actual volatge on a track would depend awfull lot on what the other tracks where doing. This is a no go.

Double post's has the obvious drawback that "someone" during the race "accidentally" selecteded to race on the higher volt post. I would say this is a no go also.

You should regulate at the power source. If you opt for two power supplies, you should rewire so that 4 lanes run on one, the other 4 lane on the other supply. Then when you switch to the 90 Amp you need to connect both sets of lanes. My guess is that you might actual newer have to go back from the 2 x 22 Amp.

Alternative is to create the volatge drop using diodes. Each diode in series with the lane power reduce the voltage with abouth 0.6 volt. E.g. see this http://www.electro-tech-online.com/e...p-voltage.html
    Best regards,
    Carsten Groennemann.

Quote Originally Posted by slotcarsten View Post
    A reostat is NOT the way to do it. The voltage drop would be dependent on the load, so the actual volatge on a track would depend awfull lot on what the other tracks where doing. This is a no go.

Double post's has the obvious drawback that "someone" during the race "accidentally" selecteded to race on the higher volt post. I would say this is a no go also.

You should regulate at the power source. If you opt for two power supplies, you should rewire so that 4 lanes run on one, the other 4 lane on the other supply. Then when you switch to the 90 Amp you need to connect both sets of lanes. My guess is that you might actual newer have to go back from the 2 x 22 Amp.

Alternative is to create the volatge drop using diodes. Each diode in series with the lane power reduce the voltage with abouth 0.6 volt. E.g. see this http://www.electro-tech-online.com/e...p-voltage.html
    I agree with Carsten. I also have Lapmaster system and it's awesome. I'm going to add 6 more relays so I can use all the features of the Lapmaster system. Right now I only have two relays and they run 4 lanes each. And as I said earlier I have two Pyramids and 6.6 caps on each relay for 4 lanes. Works awesome.

In the past I also run my smaller track with lower voltage to each lane.

I use the old power supplies that the MESAC club used to use. They are 12vdc output high amperage.
    The way I vary the power (and they way MESAC did also) is by varying the AC input the the power supply using a Variac resistor. You can find these just about anywhere.
    I hope that helps.

At one of the tracks I run on ( small 6 lane oval) the owner of it has his power supply feeding a electronic voltage regulator board. 1 regulator per lane. His are 5 amp regulators so we can't run anything better than a deathstar or they will over heat but they may offer bigger ones. He uses them to control each lane to keep the racing extreamly close. We have quite a few races where after 140 laps there is only a few tenths of a sec seperating 1st thru 3rd and it makes for a great time. Of course we only run stock classes the fastest of which are legends with sealed deathstars.

I added a 4th power post (the GREY) to several of the Raceworld tracks that are now spread out around the country. First one, I added a two ohm resistor between the black and the grey so that you hook up the black clip to the grey for reduced power. It helped the whisper jet rentals since it slowed them down a little and also cut the brakes and made them easier for the kids to drive at parties. When I put the falcon motored rentals on the track, it was a disaster since they lost ALL braking. I tried the resistor on the white side (to grey) and the brake problem went away , but the cars were still too fast - two ohms was not the answer...a voltage drop would be better.

BEST solution I have used with the grey post is four 3 amp diodes in a soldered chain between the white post and the grey post. You then used the white clip on the grey. The track monitor/supervisor can police the proper use of the clip, and the track power is dropped a nice even 3 volts per lane. I tried putting this chain in the controller handle, but then I had to ensure WHO got the 'right' controller. It is easier to have the track modified than to keep track of the 'special controllers.

JK, Wayne Bramble and I experimented with a behind the counter voltage control over ten years ago. The idea is that some of the Bulldog power supplies have a small trim pot on the end of the box and that trim pot can be extended to some point behind the counter. Changing the trim pot ohmage changes the voltage range, and we were able to work from full voltage down to around 9 volts. We used a larger wattage pot for dialing durability and easy mounting in a small utility box. Other kits have been on the market (and off) over the years such as the Tilt-n-tech, Omni rental, and and others such as the Difalco controller based system that Crawley sold for a while. Most of these units used the 3 amp diode as a current limiter, since they are ONLY intended for falcon/16d rental car use.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 01-31-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

I tried building a choke with 20 feet of 18 ga wire and didnt drop it much. I used braided copper wire. I was told Nychrome wire is what I need???..........Also went to Radio Shack and got some 3 & 6 amp diode and solder three of them inline as a chain with alligator clips on the end. I put the silver stripe all pointing the same direction. hooked it to the white post and it only dropped my voltage .6 of a volt instead of I undersood should hav dropped it 1.8 volts.(3 diodes X .6 drop = 1.8)......HELP!!!!!!! wink wink........Keep the Hillbilly pointed it the right direction!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast