Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retro Setup Question

1) retro rules do not allow "stamped steel" chassis kits since it is not 'period technology'.....
    locally, we ARE experimenting with the PD-FK motor in pre X chassis with lower downforce bodies. Grp 7-68 with older stamped chassis. My 7-68 car is my JK Spec rules car.

2)JK-D3-X25R is readily available and very reliable and easy to build....but not for $20. Brass costs more than steel. Blame the commodities traders for the copper prices.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 05-09-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Retro is not about speed,best handling,high tech,cost,easy driving,or anything else the rest of slot racing is about. It is about a period in time when cars were hand built and looked kinda sorta like real race cars of the day. Yeah,with modern chassis kits and big buck Pro built chassis there is less scratch in the build. But Retro was designed to emulate an era gone by. Not become faster or develop into a technology war. However,racers being racers,the cars will get better within the rules. The original intent of taking the motor out of the equation has worked to some degree. Can't stop people from cherry picking motors. The motor conundrum is still there. Most Orgs have dealt with the issue as they see fit. Car counts are up every year. So as slow and obsolete as they are,new and old racers alike are coming out by the dozens to race at regional events.

Formula One is the most technically advanced race car in the world. But tens of thousands of racers still come out to race dozens of other class cars from NASCAR to Demolition Derbies. Different Strokes for Different Folks.

Race what you like and like what you race.

Sam

Can't argue with those comments

You'd be surprised.

Look what I found:http://longisland.craigslist.org/tag/4461320647.html

Cry not for RETRO...

The Buckeye Retro Series had 91 DIFFERENT racers participate this year!

Things are just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    I am having a hard time getting my Can Am Cars set up.
    They seem to deslot with little or no warning.
    Other cars I race are easy to watch and I can tell when I`m going too hard.

Do you want the guide angled up a little like on regular slot cars?

Most all the comments I hear are "They don`t drive like a flexi car."

I`ve tried several kinds of tires and messed with guide spacing already.
    I have 2 nice chassis and I would like to start having fun racing these things but so far it sucks.
    This explains it all. He can't set them up and drive them, so it sucks. LMAO......
    KellyRacing

Sounds like my Navy career - every country I hooked up in, I loved.
    And I don't mean slot car controllers
    I had great luck in some, none in others
    Paul W.

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    Good for you Pablo! lol

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Sounds like my Navy career - every country I hooked up in, I loved.
    One in every port, huh?

Are you my Dad?

San Diego at the beach of course, love babes
    I really don't hope so? You would really be in a bad gene pole.
    Just kidding by the way.

Nesta
    I'm the most boring person you could meet.

I have always been amazed at the statement that the cars all needed to be prior to 1970.
    I raced at the 1968 Hemisfair Race in San Antonio, there were reported 300 to 400 racers and there was not 1 Inline chassis there.
    But there were many different designed Sidewinders with Drop Arms and hinged pans.

IRRA does have an angle winder class. It's just not run often. Not much interest for some reason.
    KellyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by tnttires View Post
    I have always been amazed at the statement that the cars all needed to be prior to 1970.
    I raced at the 1968 Hemisfair Race in San Antonio, there were reported 300 to 400 racers and there was not 1 Inline chassis there.
    But there were many different designed Sidewinders with Drop Arms and hinged pans.
    I think you need to go read the rules more closely!

Yes, the bodies have to be prior to 1970, but that was to limit the aero improvements that came to slot racing soon after that. It had nothing to do with the cars being period-correct.

We are not racing vintage or replica. Retro was originally meant to be about re-creating a period where chassis building was the thing to do.
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

Then I have a question for you Dennis. During that time period of building chassis didn't they also rewind, dewind, and custom build motors? Wasn't that also part of "the thing to do" at that time in slot car racing? Wasn't that part of the same time period or did I miss an era? Leaving out an entire faction (motor builders) just to placate some never did seem right to me. It's sort of like listening to the Beatles on a CD and not the original 45s. Sure they sound better but it's just not the way it was originally.
    Last edited by Fast Freddie; 08-25-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Adding to what Danny and Dennis said......

There are numerous angle winder cars being run at various Retro events. Are they harder to build? I don't think so. My first scratch built cars were AWs.

I am building an IRRA AW car with a few rule tweaks. No min. weight,no min. rear tire dia.,.040"/.015" clearance ,RP bodies and the PS 4002FK motor only. If any other racers want to build one,fine. If not,fine also. It will join the scores of race cars I use to run in the lanes before a race.

Point is , rules will follow what the racers want to run. That is what the last paragraph in the mission statement says. Works for me. And works for hundreds of other Retro racers.

Race what you like...Like what you race. Or go find another hobby.

Sam.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast