Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Retro Setup Question

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    I am having a hard time getting my Can Am Cars set up.
    They seem to deslot with little or no warning.
    Other cars I race are easy to watch and I can tell when I`m going too hard.

Do you want the guide angled up a little like on regular slot cars?

Most all the comments I hear are "They don`t drive like a flexi car."

I`ve tried several kinds of tires and messed with guide spacing already.
    I have 2 nice chassis and I would like to start having fun racing these things but so far it sucks.
    I'm sure this post has nothing to do with why he thinks retro is no good. Im sure I probably would feel the same way if I couldn't tune my car to go through the corners. Of course I don't have this problem and apparently many racers don't have a problem as well. Entries in all the big retro races prove it.
    KellyRacing

No Dan, you`re wrong.

I wound up with a couple retro cars that were competitive but I just found that style of racing too slow and boring for me.
    I sold all that **** and moved on.
    The weather is probably beautiful in Florida so why don`t you do something more productive with your life than look up old threads on OWH?
    Have a nice day.

Hmmmmm slow Let's see
    Track Records for the Orange in Erie, PA
    GT1 - 3.397
    G10/LMP - 3.348
    GTP - FK motor 3.237 and C Can 3.179
    Retro Can Am - 3.330

I don't understand where the slow part comes in. It seems that the Retro car is faster than 2 of the 3 classes you enjoy racing.
    Member of the original Fast Eddy Race Team

The Retro records are done with 1 car on the track qualifying.

The GT1, LMP, and GTP times are the fastest laps run during the race with 8 cars on the track.

Makes a significant difference in lap times.
    I had LMP running 3.2s and GTP running 3.1s by myself in practice.

But if you enjoy spending your time and money racing that stuff then have fun.

Why JK, why not anyone? Retro is doing well the way it is now, not much need to change it. The entry numbers prove there are quite a few that are having FUN racing it. If you want an easier to drive car there are loads of other genres to consider.

Getting back to Flems original question. there are many reasons, weight bias, ride height, chassis dynamics and vectors, TIRES............
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

The fast lap during a race is 3.370 on the Orange with a Retro Can AM. Still no difference in speed in 2 of the 3 classes. I am sure if someone put a GTP body on a Can Am they could match the GTP numbers. Just pointing out the facts, if we were talking over 2 tenths yes a difference in speed. But we are not take a look at the OCC and Penn Ohio race results at Erie. No real difference in times with GT1, LMP and Retro Can Am.
    Member of the original Fast Eddy Race Team

LMP runs big, heavy, obsolete 16D motors and GT1 runs a spec gear ratio to make the cars slow.

Retro is more expensive and still slower than a comparable stamped steel car.

If you like that stuff then go for it but I`ll never waste my time with it again.

"I would like to see JK design an inline stamped steel chassis based on one of the Cheetah designs that could be used in retro racing. It would be sort of a base line against which all of our experimental designs could be judged. A 20 dollar chassis, a 13 dollar motor and the bits and pieces ought to come out to about $60.00. I think that would bring even more racers in to retro racing. "

I guess it wouldn't technically be retro any more. But I would buy a couple of them in a flash.
    Mack Johnson
    '86 Mustang footbraker
    6.435 @104
    http://www.facebook.com/NCslottracks

Retro is Retro

That is what it is

Everything else is something else

You do yours

He'll do his

Sam

MAck, take a look at the JK X25 Retro Car. Similar to what you are describing.

Bernie Schatz

Any slot car can be made to compete in its own class . Takes skill to set it up then drive it. If you get frustrated it'll never happen for you probably.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234